Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

domesticactivist

Very Mild Case?

I'm wondering if anyone has confirmed Dermititis herpitiformis which is not symmetrical or widespread. My daughter is about to undergo some testing for celiac, and one of the things that could point to it is that she has always had little itchy spots. Sometimes they look like bug bites, but they are more like a blister. They are isolated, (just one blister in a spot), she scratches them, and they are usually on her ankles, face (hairline or chin), or upper chest.

Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.

Gluten-Free since November 2010

GAPS Diet since January/February 2011

me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011

partner - not tested for celiac

ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.

dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome

both kids have now-resolved attention issues.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My hub only ever had the one outbreak, about an inch-long line of vertical blisters starting just below the hairline on one side of his forehead. It was enough to put the fear of God in him about cheating on the diet, so was a good thing. :D

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973

Lactose free 1990

(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's

Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004

Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007

Soy free March 2008

Nightshade free Feb 2009

Citric acid free June 2009

Potato starch free July 2009

(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009

Legume free March 2010

Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

My first sores were very much one tiny very painful spot. Mosquito bite looking. Took forever to heal. That one would heal and another would appear. Later got one large spot on leg...same pain...same took forever to heal. That one took one year. Later outbreak on face. Several small painful spots that grew larger as the glutening went on and before the diagnosis. My son had "mosquito bites" on his legs that were itchy and painful and didn't heal. Here, then there. It all went away when the gluten did. No antibiotic or antifungal did anything for them but sometimes they would disappear altogether, only to reappear later. This was our experience.

Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.

--Hippocrates

I can only address symmetry. I think very few studies (if any) have been done on DH, so this assumption that it has to be symmetrical is not accurate. For my adult son and me, we both break out on our faces (jaw, chin, and down the sides of the neck). However, I also break out on the sole of my RIGHT foot and on my LEFT hand. My son, on the other hand, breaks out on the sole of his LEFT food and on his RIGHT hand, just the opposite of my outbreaks. Very strange "symmetry," for sure.

I'm wondering if anyone has confirmed Dermititis herpitiformis which is not symmetrical or widespread. My daughter is about to undergo some testing for celiac, and one of the things that could point to it is that she has always had little itchy spots. Sometimes they look like bug bites, but they are more like a blister. They are isolated, (just one blister in a spot), she scratches them, and they are usually on her ankles, face (hairline or chin), or upper chest.

I have one area along my right index finger used to get intensely itchy and would sometimes have a blister or two. It baffled a doctor because there is no reason for me to have herpes whitlow and neither of us thought of DH. I'm pretty sure it's DH because it hasn't blistered in a few years now and when I got stuck eating CC'd food over a weekend trip it started itching intensely.

I have one area along my right index finger used to get intensely itchy and would sometimes have a blister or two. It baffled a doctor because there is no reason for me to have herpes whitlow and neither of us thought of DH. I'm pretty sure it's DH because it hasn't blistered in a few years now and when I got stuck eating CC'd food over a weekend trip it started itching intensely.

I have had Dermatitis Herpetiformis off and on again for about 10 years or longer. It does get blistery and insanely itchy. I have never had the perfectly symetrical pattern but maybe one elbow, one finger, one knee and then other times it would be both elbows, both knees. It's just a crazy disease. It waxes and wanes though and sometimes I can go for a period of weeks or months without a breakout. I have scratched until I bled. Now when the itchy patches come, I use an Rx from my Dermatologist, Pramazone lotion (which actually dries up the blisters) given a few days time.

I also get the singular bumps, like a weird bug bite. I called them volcanoes for the longest time because they would erupt as I scratched and scracthed and would take forever to heal, my scratching didn't help. wink.gif

I get them on my hands, wrists, forearms, upper cest, neck, face, and knees. There is never any kind of symmetrical pattern. I have an itchy spot on one foot that comes and goes and drives me crazy, it is red sometimes. I never thought it was related but by reading the other replies I see that the mystery is finally solved. For a while I even thought maybe a I had a single paralyzed scabbie living there or something... blink.gif

...Muffy

Grain-free

Dairy-free

Soy-free

Canola Oil-free

Refined Fructose-lite

That explains the weird, itchy spots I would get on one of my fingers that would come and go. I always assumed it was a tiny patch of eczema.

"My experience has been that there is, surprisingly, always hope." - Eleven

Positive blood test & endoscopy / Gluten-free 10-07-10 / Dairy-free / Soy-free

I also get the singular bumps, like a weird bug bite. I called them volcanoes for the longest time because they would erupt as I scratched and scracthed and would take forever to heal, my scratching didn't help. wink.gif

I get them on my hands, wrists, forearms, upper cest, neck, face, and knees. There is never any kind of symmetrical pattern. I have an itchy spot on one foot that comes and goes and drives me crazy, it is red sometimes. I never thought it was related but by reading the other replies I see that the mystery is finally solved. For a while I even thought maybe a I had a single paralyzed scabbie living there or something... blink.gif

I just have to say that I love the image of a single paralyzed scabbie. :lol:

My DH is sometimes on my chest, sometimes on my back, stomach, arms, jawline, face, and is sometimes like a little zit, sometimes just red, sometimes itchy, sometimes not. No pattern, then again why should there be one? :P

It is how I know I am glutened as it always always shows up in addition to the brain fog, migraines, cecum pain etc..

Grain Free

Casein Free

Soy Free

Refined Sugar Free

Preservative Free

Free Range

Free Willy

Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose...

...dang...there goes chocolate... :bawl: