This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

So Difficult Stay Gluten Free

glutenfreeresistant

glutenfreeresistant Newbie

I was diagnosed with gluten sensitivity 10/09. I was always feeling tired and fatigued and I am lactose intolerant, which I'm told often accompanies gluten issues( I've experienced depression for many years and wonder if there is a connection.)

I attempt to follow the gluten-free diet,but it is so hard! The social aspect of this is most difficult. I have tolerable symptoms,and socially it is so difficult to follow, because I feel many people are insensitive to others with allergies.(especially if others know they are not life threatening) Our group get togethers go something like this..."Hey were all going to meet at my house and have pizza". I feel akward bringing it up as often as it is necessary.

The dilemmas I am faced with are: I often don't want to stay Gluten free, but have been told that even though I have few symptoms, it does a lot of damage to your body. I don't want more issues to face in the future, but want to be normal.

I'm so frustrated by how gluten is in EVERYTHING! Shredded cheese, chicken broth etc.. are you kidding me!I don't live in the vicinity where a healthfood store is convenient. So cooking is project if I haven't stocked up on basics like gluten-free bread crumbs and chicken broth.

Lastly, I feel these alternative foods are manufacturer's way of getting rich. It's so unbelievably expensive for such small amounts. I try to use everything from scratch but sometimes I need convenience foods.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Dixiebell Contributor

Welcome to the forum glutenfreeresistant.

Something I have made for the pizza craving

Glutino pizza crust cut into 'bread sticks' coat with a small amount of oilve oil, a little garlic powder, some parm cheese and those hormel mini pepperoni or cut the large ones in half. Bake at 425 for about 5-10 min until crispy and dip in pizza sauce or favorite tomato sauce. My son and husband like those a lot.

If I am not mistaken, I think the gluten in shredded cheese is one of those myths out there. There are broths out there that do not have gluten in them I buy Kitchen Basics at my Kroger grocery store. A lot of people buy the 'cardboard' type of gluten-free bread to make breadcrumbs or a loaf they baked that did not come out quite right.

It is not very easy in the beginning but it will get easier. Keep reading and ask lots of questions. There is a lot of info here about food. Also if you search on the frito lay, hormel, general mills, kraft, etc. websites you can find gluten-free lists of their products.

cassP Contributor

hey :)

i understand how you feel- it actually took me another 2 years after my blood tests to go 100% gluten free. but i am so happy now that i am. do you have a copy of your own blood tests so that you can fully understand them?? because my PCP & GI didnt know what to make of my tests and just told me i MAY be gluten intolerant and to avoid it. well, its a little hard to adhere to the diet when noone's exactly sure how serious it is. on top of that, our doctors may know, but sometimes only glance at the results and then miss something. my Gi didnt even notice that i was Iga deficient... AND he didnt notice that the Endomysial Antibody that my PCP ran was positive.

i just had a nagging feeling that i needed to get to the bottom of this- so with a little more investigating and a genetics test- i decided to self diagnose and go 100%. 3 weeks after that, i got DH on my stomach, and the next month- my GI agreed with my self diagnosis. then few months after that i got dx with Hashimoto's and Grave's Disease-> BOTH are triggered and aggravated by Gluten.

anyways- im wondering what YOUR tests say- and if they were evaluated enough. yes, it is hard to follow the diet- but it gets easier and easier and easier- trust us!! the hard part is if you have additional intolerances- then it gets to be a little annoying- but you will get the hang of it!

how out in the boondocks do u live???? and also- look online- here at this gluten free mall, and Amazon- you could buy some gluten-free things by bulk... tinkyada brown rice pasta & mary's gone crackers are 2 things i cant live without. also i love Nugo bars (BE CAREFUL- they only make 2 or 3 gluten-free bars- the rest have gluten). i buy these in bulk at Whole Foods.

you're gonna need gluten-free staples with you (like the crackers or bars- or your own homemade trail mix) so that you're not out somewhere and starving- but Ultimately- you want to base most of your diet on wholesome foods- lean meats, fish, maybe some rice, gluten-free oatmeal maybe, FRUITS and VEGGIES... because eating too much of the gluten free breads, treats, substitutes, etc can be unhealthy too.

good luck- you can do it- if you're gluten sensitive- know that it can affect MUCH MUCH more than your gut... and YES- it can cause depression and anxiety- so many of us know

and if you feel like posting your lab results- we all would love to dissect them

cassP Contributor

ps- you will also start to get the hang of which restaurants are safe- or what safe things you can order off certain menus... it's a little inconvenient at first- but its getting easier- as our society is becoming a little more aware. off the top of my head- places like Pei Wei, PF Changs, Chipotle, & The Melting Pot have gluten-free menus :P

you can also check each restaurant online- to investigate what's safe- i THINK there are a few items you can order at Wendy's & Chick fil'a that are safe. ive actually braved a Steak and Shake run a few times- for a couple of beef patties/no bun... could be a risk for cc- but ive never had a problem. OH- also OUTBACK has a gluten-free menu :P

i know things like pizza places & teppanyaki restaurants could be a little frustrating- i havent figured out how i will be able to figure those out... ???

Financialman Newbie

Dear Glutenfreeresistant,

I was diagnosed with Celiacs in October of 2009 also. It has turned my life upside down and screwed up most of my social life. This isn't about a diet it is about a lifestyle change. You have two choices. You can ignore the damage that you do to your small intestine by worrying about your friends not understanding or you can get on with your life with your real friends who will understand. This is not easy and effects more than your body. The emotional aspect, especially at the beginning, is very difficult. That is why you need to continue to come to this forum and ask your questions.

I just went through two days of severe stomach cramps and all the other things that Celiacs does to a person. If you continue to ignore the disease your small intestine, which is part of you, will pay a hugh price later on. Is it worth it? Not to me. I don't know why I got sick but even after all these months I still screwed up somehow. Fortunately there are a lot of understanding people in this world and the Celiac community is getting more attention then ever. Hang in there and contain to use this forum. You will be just fine.

mamaw Community Regular

welcome

Financialman has got it & if you look new to this site... Kudos Financialman for your right on input...

Yes, at the beginning there is alot of info to chew & swallow. gluten free has a learning curve but once you master it you will have it, then its up to you on how well you adhere to the diet (lifestyle)

Think of it this way; this is about the only disease that is easily controlled by yourself, no harmful drugs, expensive as well) no chemo or radiation., The body can heal itself with proper diet & self control...

I think most of us do mailorder or become road warriors on gluten-free searches. The basic gluten-free diet, plain meats, fish, veggies & fruit are no more costly than a wheat based diet. It is the junk stuff we crave that makes the diet expensive. Again we have choices.

The first time years ago when I first went on a gluten-free food search I spent $300.00 plus just on gluten-free flours & baking supples because I knew I wasn't able to find gluten-free items in my little part of the world. It has gotten so much better but I still keep stocked on junk food & baking items just in case. I freezemany flours for use later on when I can't get any pre-made stuff.

The social issue is hard for friends to understand when most don't understand or know of celiac. But many of us have more food issues than just gluten... Again friend selection may change because of your food issues. But you will have renewed health ......

If you are craving certain things let us know & one of us will help you find a match for the wheat counterpart. Also we can give you ideas on what's worth spending your hard earned dollar on & what notto waste your cash on.

It is very natural for you to feel depressed , left out, sad & feel like you are all alone,denial at the beginning.After all you are loosing a part of your life that you learned from a young age. Food is the staff of life but Wheat is not the staff of life as some believe.

There are so many restaurants that now have gluten-free menus so get out & enjoy.....

We all will be happy to help you in any way possible, just ask.

About shredded cheese, Kraft clearly labels all their products. I don't use off brand varieties but some still may use flour to keep the shreds from sticking together.. Please read labels !

blessings

mamaw

blessings mamaw

Thanks everyone for all the support. I have done much research on restaurants and foods to purchase, it's the inconvenience. I was at the mall for much of the day, of course you get hungry, I packed some snacks but they weren't enough. So basically it's salad.

Chinese would be a good option, but one day my daughter who has Celiac, asked about their plain rice. The communication is difficult with these restaurants and they said "no just plain rice". When she got the rice she said that it had some kind of thickness to it. She ate it because she was so hungry then became sick shortly afterwards.

I guess I'm just complaining. The reason I have such an issue with the convenience is because it's too easy to cheat when you only get minor symptoms. I honestly feel I will never be completely Gluten free because of this.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Welcome to the forum glutenfreeresistant.

Something I have made for the pizza craving

Glutino pizza crust cut into 'bread sticks' coat with a small amount of oilve oil, a little garlic powder, some parm cheese and those hormel mini pepperoni or cut the large ones in half. Bake at 425 for about 5-10 min until crispy and dip in pizza sauce or favorite tomato sauce. My son and husband like those a lot.

If I am not mistaken, I think the gluten in shredded cheese is one of those myths out there. There are broths out there that do not have gluten in them I buy Kitchen Basics at my Kroger grocery store. A lot of people buy the 'cardboard' type of gluten-free bread to make breadcrumbs or a loaf they baked that did not come out quite right.

It is not very easy in the beginning but it will get easier. Keep reading and ask lots of questions. There is a lot of info here about food. Also if you search on the frito lay, hormel, general mills, kraft, etc. websites you can find gluten-free lists of their products.

The breadsticks sound good. I am not familiar with the Glutino. Is it already made? Another challenge I have is that my daughter also tested as milk allergic. So I have to keep Dayia, and other dairy free ingredients on hand, again because it's not sold at any local stores where I live.

I usually cook meals without dairy or gluten but having options like the dairy free cheese gives us more selection.

cassP Contributor

Thanks everyone for all the support. I have done much research on restaurants and foods to purchase, it's the inconvenience. I was at the mall for much of the day, of course you get hungry, I packed some snacks but they weren't enough. So basically it's salad.

Chinese would be a good option, but one day my daughter who has Celiac, asked about their plain rice. The communication is difficult with these restaurants and they said "no just plain rice". When she got the rice she said that it had some kind of thickness to it. She ate it because she was so hungry then became sick shortly afterwards.

I guess I'm just complaining. The reason I have such an issue with the convenience is because it's too easy to cheat when you only get minor symptoms. I honestly feel I will never be completely Gluten free because of this.

you're allowed to complain here :)

and again- i understand. altho i DO get horrific effects from gluten, and i have gotten even more sensitive since i went gluten free- im still not as bad off as other Celiacs.... i could probably get away with eating a bite of pizza- it would effect me- but i wouldnt be running to the bathroom with "D"..... STILL- there's too much at stake now- now that ive had a run of DH, and now that ive got Hashimoto's AND Grave's... i know the havoc that a minor cheat could bring could be much more than i expected... and long lasting...

and even considering that- i still wonder sometimes- if i could ever cheat a tiny bit at some point in my life... i know how hard it is...

and the chinese at the mall- even tho, im completely and willingly disciplined now-> i still have to remind myself NOT to take a sample of bourbon or orange chicken!!! it was such a habit!!! even tho i have no problem avoiding it- its such a mental habit- that im still reminding myself not to take it

luvs2eat Collaborator

There's absolutely a learning curve when making your house gluten free... but we live in the boonies too and I can find almost all that I need at our WalMart. I order my very easy-to-make bread mix (Pamela's) and my Tinkyada pasta from the store that doesn't get mentioned on here but it's the name of that long river in So. America. When I order them together... shipping is free!

Eating out is hard... we rarely go anymore, but I love to cook so it's not a big deal for me. Luckily, I don't care for most prepackaged, processed food, even if it is gluten-free, so that's not an issue.

Hang in there... it DOES get easier!

cap6 Enthusiast

Pizza was the hard one for me too! I am now (at 11 months) to the point where I am ok going out for pizza with others. i just grab a gluten-free one or we stop at the gluten-free pizza parlor first & grab a to-go one for me.

I would make sure that you always have plenty of gluten-free foods on hard & snacks with you. Cook extra & freeze some. Make sure there is something that is fast & easy to fix as I find that when I am hungry it is so much easier to be tempted.

Take things slowly, don't beat yourself up is you goof and pat yourself on the back for starting this. Everyone told me it would get easier. I didn't believe it! But... it does. My best to you! :D

MelindaLee Contributor

gluten-free diets are not fun or easy, but it can be very tolerable. Some of it is the mind set. You are right, it took me a bit to get over the convenience of eating anything, anywhere I wanted. I still miss the pretzels at the mall, though I admit that I never bought them much before, as I don't need the calories,(but now that I "can't" vs "I shouldn't" it seems to feel differnt). I order things on Amazon, which others here have mentioned. I found a lot of their gluten-free foods are part of their free shipping. I love Kind bars, and I can get them cheaper here than anywhere else. I hear Walmart carries Heartland brand pasta that is gluten free. Breads seem to be the most difficult, but still are not undoable. *you can do it* (those are supposed to be my pompoms! :D )

Archived