Seante Wilson

Food Shortage

Rate this topic

Hi I am new to this and now that I have gone through my entire house and rid it of gluten, I pretty much have nothing.

I was wondering if there was a program out there that helps people like me on a small fixed budget to get food.

I'm not sure about programs that will help you, but here are some tips. Many if not most of the foods you cook will naturally not contain gluten. A good vegetable soup with lentil beans added to it tastes great and fills you up. Put potatoes in there too, maybe some ham. Beans are in general very inexpensive and filling. Just boil them with some salt or even throw in a couple of pieces of bacon.

You don't have to buy all these expensive gluten free substitutes. Many baking recipes can use a simple flour blend of 2 parts brown rice or white rice flour (or mix the two of them) and 1 part cornstarch or potato starch. I use that flour mix to make all sorts of things from cookies to pancakes.

Gluten free bread mixes are super easy to make. They don't require all the kneading and mixing that regular gluten bread does and they are WAY cheaper than premade gluten breads. I love Gluten Free Pantry Basic white bread. However, it says to let it rise for 30 minutes. I find it needs an hour to rise properly. It's about $3.50 or $4.50 depending on where you buy it for a box and that makes a regular size loaf.

At food banks you can usually get cheese and I think fruits and vegetables right? Find out about farmer's markets in your area for cheap produce. Asian markets and Latino markets also usually have great deals on produce and bulk items like rice and beans. Corn tortillas are cheap and you can put all sorts of stuff in them. I love to chop up radishes, a little avocado, some cheese and then put salt and pepper and olive oil into a warm corn tortilla. You can melt cheese and make a quesadilla in them too.

Easy pancake recipe

3/4 cup brown rice flour

1/4 cup cornstarch or potato starch

1 tbsp. baking powder

1 egg.

1 cup milk or almond milk

Mix up and fry up and makes great pancakes.

Cornmeal can be cooked into polenta, fried on a pan and topped with cheese, meats, whatever, even pasta sauce or salsa.

If you have a Trader Joes' they carry brown rice pasta.

Hope my suggestions help! I hardly buy gluten free substitute foods.

Angel Food Ministries has an allergen free food box, fruit and veggies box, and always double check the other box specials. The organization buys in bulk to save money, then sells at a reduced rate, and some of the profit goes to the brick and mortar church where you pick up food. (I think it is $1 per box for the church volunteer to raise for what the chosen mission is. i.e. building fund, Haiti mission, feed the children)

Explain the situation to any food bank aid organization. They might be able to help. I'm sure they would give the basic naturally gluten free foods.

Financial situation is not a requirement for this program.

Go to your local food bank. Explain that you are gluten free and please do not give you bread or breaded items or pasta. Food banks will always have rice and beans and veggies and fruits. Ours always have things like eggs and butter and even some form of meat. You may still get some items you can't use so simply donate them back. If you are very low income do check into getting foodstamps or into programs like HEAP. The income levels for FS are pretty low but I know in my state the HEAP levels are much higher. If you qualify for HEAP the money that is sent to the utility company can help you supplement during the month or months that you dont have a utility bill.