This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dh And Iodine? What Is The Connection

hockeymomofceliacchild

hockeymomofceliacchild Rookie

I keep reading discussions about iodine and DH I am not sure of the connection between the two. My son has celiac and a rash (assuming Dh as uncle has it too) but should I eliminate iodine too? and why? Thanks for the help we are so new to this and so much to learn I love this site and all the questions and responces not enough time in the day to read them all. lol

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rosetapper23 Explorer

For many of us (if not all), it takes BOTH gluten and iodine to cause DH. When I was 34, I finally made the connection to iodine, but not gluten. I was able to control the DH completely by eliminating all iodine from my diet. Of course, years later when I was diagnosed with celiac disease and read that iodine also plays a part in it, I was flabbergasted. However, after so many years of avoiding iodine, I ended up being hypothyroid, so now I have to take meds that include iodine every day. As a result, if I get even the slightest gluten contamination, I break out in DH immediately since iodine is always in my system now. Before, as long as I eliminated the iodine, it didn't matter if I had gluten. Oddly enough, I have chronic dermatitis across my upper back from taking the meds that contain iodine. For me, it's almost like an allergy--if I ingest too much iodine, I get an asthma attack. And if iodine touches my skin, I have a severe allergic reaction, and then the muscles underneath my skin feel as though they've been hit by baseball bat. Weird, but true....

So, with regard to the iodine connection, it's probably best to eliminate both gluten and iodine in the beginning to get rid of the DH, and then you can add iodine back in once the DH has cleared up. Please be aware that iodine is in milk products in many states, but I've found that most organic dairy products don't.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

I've had DH for years, but didn't know what it was.

It was treated for many things but never responded until I found this site and went gluten free.

The research I have read says that gluten and iodine both activate the IgA antibodies that are collected in the skin. Therefore only avoiding gluten is not necessarily enough for healing and recovery.

It requires both iodine and gluten for the reaction, but iodine alone can keep the antibodies reacting such that the rash may not heal for some people without the elimination of iodine in addition to strict gluten avoidence. In theory, the iodine avoidance is temporary until the antibodies calm down. Some people have recovered and healed in a matter of weeks.

In my case, I am 5 months into being gluten free. I still have sores. In the beginning month it appeared my sores would heal. They stopped hurting very shortly after going gluten free. However, I found that flares would happen. I was eating fish and shellfish thinking they were healthy.When I read of the iodine connection I got stricter, but even very small amounts of iodine do seem to keep my sores active.

Why iodine? I don't know the science, but from experience, I can tell you it is true. Each time I have eaten fish, (even tuna), shellfish, used iodized table salt in any amount, even a tiny dash, I would have a reaction. Milk products contain carageenan which is processed from seaweed and seems to activate my sores too. Asparagus and even sea salt have activated them too. Dr. Peter Green's book on Celiac disease states that DH patients have to be very patient patients and that even with strict avoidance of gluten and iodine, healing may take many months or up to two years. He says DH patients are very sensitive to cross contamination and that sometimes flares can happen for no apparent reason.

The antibodies can remain in the skin for up to 10 years.

I hope your son responds to the elimination of gluten and a temporary avoidance of iodine. The research shows that children can recover faster than adults. It seems to be trial and error to some degree as no one knows how long they should avoid the iodine in order to stop activating the antibodies.

My son's DH cleared up with just gluten avoidance. I don't limit his iodine, milk, fish,or salt intake. Because he healed up it did not seem necessary. My iodine avoidance has become ever mmore strict as I continue to have reactions.

I use uniodized table salt in very small amounts.

If I eat too many salted snacks, I also have a reaction.

Hopefully you won't see this problem. but I think you won't know until you get the gluten out of his diet and then observe the results of iodine intake.

It's a very tricky thing for some of us.

For others it clears up easily.

I wish I had a better answer for you.

cahill Collaborator

Oddly enough, I have chronic dermatitis across my upper back from taking the meds that contain iodine. For me, it's almost like an allergy--

I read this and said out loud ME TOO..

I am very sensitive to iodine and I take thyroid meds that ( of course ) contain iodine.

After being gluten free for quite a while, My DH had pretty much healed and with out realizing the connection I started taking a vitamin that was gluten free but had iodine in it,,my DH responded very very quickly and intensely. It took me awhile to make the connection between the vitamin (iodine )and the DH outbreak

cahill Collaborator

It was treated for many things but never responded until I found this site and went gluten free.

The research I have read says that gluten and iodine both activate the IgA antibodies that are collected in the skin. Therefore only avoiding gluten is not necessarily enough for healing and recovery.

It requires both iodine and gluten for the reaction, but iodine alone can keep the antibodies reacting such that the rash may not heal for some people without the elimination of iodine in addition to strict gluten avoidence. In theory, the iodine avoidance is temporary until the antibodies calm down. Some people have recovered and healed in a matter of weeks.

In my case, I am 5 months into being gluten free. I still have sores. In the beginning month it appeared my sores would heal. They stopped hurting very shortly after going gluten free. However, I found that flares would happen. I was eating fish and shellfish thinking they were healthy.When I read of the iodine connection I got stricter, but even very small amounts of iodine do seem to keep my sores active.

Why iodine? I don't know the science, but from experience, I can tell you it is true. Each time I have eaten fish, (even tuna), shellfish, used iodized table salt in any amount, even a tiny dash, I would have a reaction. Milk products contain carageenan which is processed from seaweed and seems to activate my sores too. Asparagus and even sea salt have activated them too. Dr. Peter Green's book on Celiac disease states that DH patients have to be very patient patients and that even with strict avoidance of gluten and iodine, healing may take many months or up to two years. He says DH patients are very sensitive to cross contamination and that sometimes flares can happen for no apparent reason.

I hope your son responds to the elimination of gluten and a temporary avoidance of iodine. The research shows that children can recover faster than adults. It seems to be trial and error to some degree as no one knows how long they should avoid the iodine in order to stop activating the antibodies.

My son's DH cleared up with just gluten avoidance. I don't limit his iodine, milk, fish,or salt intake. Because he healed up it did not seem necessary. My iodine avoidance has become ever mmore strict as I continue to have reactions.

Hopefully you won't see this problem. but I think you won't know until you get the gluten out of his diet and then observe the results of iodine intake.

very well said :)

I would say that was very well said in fact :) Thank you so much for taking the time to explain it to me! This and all the other comments help alot thanks everyone. So if I can ask another stupid question "what foods have iodine? Other than iodized salt ,fish/ seafood as you suggested and milk products as the form of Carageenan? :blink::huh: Thanks again

rosetapper23 Explorer

Asparagus is high in iodine. Also, you'll need to avoid salty foods such as chips, french fries, nuts, etc., because oftentimes iodized salt is used. Just about any processed food is suspect, in my opinion.

And, again, organic milk and dairy products don't seem to bother me. Keep in mind that regular milk, besides having carageenan oftentimes also contains iodine. There was a time in the 90s when Canadian authorities released a statement that milk there contained so much iodine, it was deemed unsafe for children to drink.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Asparagus is high in iodine. Also, you'll need to avoid salty foods such as chips, french fries, nuts, etc., because oftentimes iodized salt is used. Just about any processed food is suspect, in my opinion.

And, again, organic milk and dairy products don't seem to bother me. Keep in mind that regular milk, besides having carageenan oftentimes also contains iodine. There was a time in the 90s when Canadian authorities released a statement that milk there contained so much iodine, it was deemed unsafe for children to drink.

This is really interesting. With going gluten free we have been searching for foods he could eat and seem to be doing the nachos and cheese thing a lot, popcorn you name it, so had my brother. lol Not realizing the salt was flaring their dh. :(

Interesting about the milk here in Canada. I took my whole familiy of regular milk about two years ago. It costs me a fortune each week but seems to help. My oldest gets foul breathe when he drinks it. My youngest son and daughter would get patches of bumpy echema like patches and my self I get stuffed up. My husband also is lactose intolerant. But I can't seem to figure out why they could eat other dairy products but not milk itself...hmmm...makes ya wonder doesn't it?

I checked the lactose free milk we drink and it is good. but the chocolate milk of the same brand has carageenan in it.

Thanks for all your advise this really helps alot :)

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Livestrong.com has lists of foods containing No Iodine and Low Iodine.

I'm starting to eliminate more foods due to iodine content.

Thank you all for saying that my post was well-written. It means a lot to me to be able to help someone even a little bit.

I was so seriously ill with Celiac that I have spent most of the last 5 years in bed or in the bathroom. The DH sores were maddening but worse still was losing my cognitive ability. I use this forum to practice my brain back to normalcy by reading and writing to others. Your comments are very much appreciated.

Rosetapper: Thank you for the information about dairy having iodine even if it doesn't contain carageenan. I didn't know that point. I too, was relying on cheese heavily for protein and yumminess. Guess yumminess is out and meat and nuts will be my protein.

There are several "diets" listing low iodine foods or how to limit iodine in the diet.

If you google How to avoid iodine in the diet, it will come up with several.

I don't know how to post links or I would.

Anyway, thanks y'all, for making me feel helpful...ya made my day! ;)

Livestrong.com has lists of foods containing No Iodine and Low Iodine.

I'm starting to eliminate more foods due to iodine content.

Thank you all for saying that my post was well-written. It means a lot to me to be able to help someone even a little bit.

I was so seriously ill with Celiac that I have spent most of the last 5 years in bed or in the bathroom. The DH sores were maddening but worse still was losing my cognitive ability. I use this forum to practice my brain back to normalcy by reading and writing to others. Your comments are very much appreciated.

Rosetapper: Thank you for the information about dairy having iodine even if it doesn't contain carageenan. I didn't know that point. I too, was relying on cheese heavily for protein and yumminess. Guess yumminess is out and meat and nuts will be my protein.

There are several "diets" listing low iodine foods or how to limit iodine in the diet.

If you google How to avoid iodine in the diet, it will come up with several.

I don't know how to post links or I would.

Anyway, thanks y'all, for making me feel helpful...ya made my day! ;)

I'm glad this made your day :) As a mom just learning all about allergys such as this every little tiny bit of information no matter how insignificant you may think it is, is like a huge "WOW" glad I learned that. I instantly phoned my mom in my excitement to tell her what I learned and was so happy I could possibly shorten the length of time my son would have to deal with this uncomfortable rash. My children are my world and sometimes we feel so helpless but you made MY day yesterday..oh damn now I'm crying...havent done that yet since he was diagnosed it is just so overwhelming all I need to learn and it is so overwhelming the support in which we have been given on this site! Thanks so much to you and everyone on here :)

rosetapper23 Explorer

eatmeat4good,

You may not have to give up cheeses. I found that when it came to iodine contamination in dairy products, the hard cheeses gave me no trouble at all. I had trouble with the soft cheeses, though, and the sour cream. Organic yogurt is fine, too.

I would NEVER make anyone give up cheese!! There has to be SOME justice in the world....

detritus Apprentice

Wow, that is so wild! I've been gluten-free for 1 year. Had all the usual symptoms before going gluten-free, but never DH. This weekend I must have gotten glutened, because I had the old D and horrible pain in my shoulder, BUT FOR THE FIRST TIME I got a rash at the base of my spine. And I recently started cooking and eating SEAWEED! Is it possible that the seaweed alone is making me feel glutened and giving me the rash? Is that the iodine's fault? Or does it mean that I must have been glutened and the seaweed I ingested in conjunction made me have DH for the first time? In all that I've read about celiac's this is the first time I've read anything cautioning about iodine. I appreciate any advice/answers.

-Megan

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Wow, that is interesting.

In Celiacs with DH, Iodine plus Gluten equals DH rash.

But you never had DH before.

Hmmm, maybe the antibodies were building in your skin and you were gonna get DH if you had stayed on gluten any longer, but you went gluten free.

The antibodies can stay in your skin up to 10 years.

Then your seaweed iodine and accidental glutening caused your first outbreak.

Wow, that IS wild.

I guess it is possible though.

I don't know if it was the iodine alone or not. They say iodine can keep the antibodies activated, but your antibodies should be calmed down after a year. But if the antibodies stay in the skin for 10 years.....

Wow, I don't really know, but I'm glad you shared that...um, I think. :o:unsure::huh::blink:

Wow, that is interesting.

In Celiacs with DH, Iodine plus Gluten equals DH rash.

But you never had DH before.

Hmmm, maybe the antibodies were building in your skin and you were gonna get DH if you had stayed on gluten any longer, but you went gluten free.

The antibodies can stay in your skin up to 10 years.

Then your seaweed iodine and accidental glutening caused your first outbreak.

Wow, that IS wild.

I guess it is possible though.

I don't know if it was the iodine alone or not. They say iodine can keep the antibodies activated, but your antibodies should be calmed down after a year. But if the antibodies stay in the skin for 10 years.....

Wow, I don't really know, but I'm glad you shared that...um, I think. :o:unsure::huh::blink:

10 years!!!! OMG (that is all I have to say. lol)

Archived