This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bone Pain & Other Odd Things...

pondy

pondy Contributor

Hi everyone,

My G.I found evidence of what he guesses is Celiac disease & is currently confirming this via a blood test. I've been gluten free for 3 days.

I'm concerned about these other, seemingly unrelated, issues...

Bone pain - one month ago my pain began suddenly and severely in my right rib. The area is still super sore & tender. The pain radiates all over in my back. Is this in line with Celiac disease?

Weight loss - I've lost about 8 pounds in about a month. This is abnormal for me, as I'm almost always 155 lbs. (working out or not)

Bloody stool - red in color, sort of marbled throughout.

Dry skin, brain "fog", the blues & blahs, fatigue, hair breaking & falling out... I'm confused and worried!

My doctor tested my gall bladder, liver & kidneys - said things were "pretty normal".

Does any of this sound familiar? Thanks very much for any & all input!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Sure does sound familiar. Since you are done with testing you can start the diet. There is a chance of a false negative on the blood work so if the results do come back negative you would need to do a diet trial anyway. Might as well start now so you can start to heal. Go with mostly unprocessed whole foods and do keep in mind it can take some time to heal. Read as much as you can here and ask any questions you need to.

Npealer Rookie

YES! this is what I experienced for the most part before I was diagnosed last week. I didn't have the typical stomach issues I had fatigue, brain fog, bone/joint pain that radiated my whole left arm, neuropathy, insomnia. My Doctor ran test for everything under the sun and Celiac's is what came back positive. So I feel your pain literally. I have been gluten-free for 6 days and have noticed a small improvement but still have a long way to go.

pondy Contributor

Sure does sound familiar. Since you are done with testing you can start the diet. There is a chance of a false negative on the blood work so if the results do come back negative you would need to do a diet trial anyway. Might as well start now so you can start to heal. Go with mostly unprocessed whole foods and do keep in mind it can take some time to heal. Read as much as you can here and ask any questions you need to.

Thank you for the response - I'm grateful for this site!

I read that it can take up to two years for the intestinal villi to heal. Have others here found that to be the case? If so, is it nonsense for me to supplement with vitamins now? I mean, if I'm not absorbing nutrients then what's the point?

Sorry if the question seems silly - I'm just getting my sea legs here...

IrishHeart Veteran

Welcome!

Oh Boy, is it familiar!! My rib cage hurts sometimes...it's screaming at me right now! :blink: I lost a lot of weight (90 lbs.), my hair, I am fatigued, depressed, insomnia, burning neuropathic pain..ETC ETC ETC :P and I also had NEG blood work. (Many of us do!)

Do not worry! ;)

You are in the right place for answers, help, info and encouragement from those who "get it". I could not have done this without the help of awesome people like Raven (above) and so many others. Get started right now on feeling better!! :)

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Rib cage pain

Depression

Anxiety

Bone pain

Headaches

All this and more have disappeared on going gluten free.

I hope you feel better soon.

Welcome!

IrishHeart Veteran

Rib cage pain

Depression

Anxiety

Bone pain

Headaches

All this and more have disappeared on going gluten free.

I hope you feel better soon.

Welcome!

PONDY!

See what I mean!!...here's another angel who "held my hand" since I joined the forum ...and their experiences at HEALING speak volumes....you're in the right place!! ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

thleensd Enthusiast

Welcome! Lot's and lots of strange ones for me, too:

Nerve pain, back pain, muscle twitches, canker sores, dizziness, fuzzy thinking. I could go on, but I won't. There's a big, bright, gluten-free light at the end of the tunnel!.

My blood test wasn't positive, BTW... "equivocal". Biopsy was positive though.

Happy eating.

Kimbalou Enthusiast

I think you should go ahead and start taking vitamins and iron. I am anemic and have low Vit D. I was put on a vit d supplement. your dr. should also do iron,calcium and.vit d levels.

Meatballman Rookie

Rib pain especially right side.Thats how it all started for me. Doctors checked out my liver,and gallbladder also. I was also diagnosed with costrochondritis. Turns out it was Celiac all along. Sounds like you are on the right track. Hope you start feeling better. My rib pain is very intermittent now nowhere near like before.

pondy Contributor

Thank you all for the support and encouragement! I'm so grateful for this site & everyone here... I no longer feel alone.

SaraKat Contributor

Left ribcage pain was my main symptom. I've been gluten-free since 9/1/10 and it is definitely better, but I still get the pain sometimes.

IrishHeart Veteran

Thank you all for the support and encouragement! I'm so grateful for this site & everyone here... I no longer feel alone.

Nope, you are not alone and you will feel better. :) Truthfully, the hardest part ( for me, anyway) is being patient to see the results. I have so many symptoms and I watch for each of them to improve...some have! I just want to be all better right now!! Who doesn't right??! ;) But the best advice I got was...relax, stick to the diet and eat whole, plain foods and keep asking for help as you need it.

Take care and feel better soon!! :)

Archived