lenareis88

Want To Have Daughter Tested

Rate this topic

I am a mother of a four year old little girl. I am worried that she might have celiac. Here in the last few months she is all the time telling me her stomach hurts and that she doesn't feel good. Then she has days when she has diarrhea or even gets sick in her bed at night. She is not as active as she use to be, and has odd very aggressive mood changes. Also back before Christmas she weighed about 42 pounds clothes and all, yesterday she weighted 38 clothes and all. Well about 3 weeks ago we all got a nasty stomach bug going around and it hit her really hard. After about 4 days of begin sick she went about 3 days not being sick, then got very sick again. I took her to the ER and they said she was fine, after this her bowel movements started being a creamy white color, this lasted about 2-3 days. And then she was fine. Her bowel movements have always had a very strong fowl odor to them though. well yesterday i get a call from her daycare she has diarrhea again and its the white creamy color and the odor was so bad they had to remove all the kids from the room. I took her back to the doctor and they think its just a small problem that she is having with milk due to the stomach bug. I don't though and now I'm at a loss for what to do. I'm not sure if she has celiac or if I am scaring myself by looking online. I just really want some opinions on if I have a good reason to call and demand the doctors test her. I just want my little girl to feel better and be happy.

Hi lenareis88.

In my opinion your little girl needs to be seen by a gastro Dr. pronto. White poo and that smell is not normal and she needs to be tested.

Tests for celiac:

Anti-gliadin antibodies (AGA) both IgA and IgG

Anti-endomysial antibodies (EMA) - IgA

Anti-tissue transglutaminase antibodies (tTG) - IgA and IgG

Total IgA level

Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) Antibodies, IgA & IgG

You should also have her vitamin and mineral levels checked to see if she is deficient in any. It probably would be a good idea for her stool to be tested for malabsorbtion and parasites, ect.

You could go ahead and take dairy out of her diet to see if it helps her some, that will not affect testing for celiac.