Karla01

Corned Beef/ St Patricks Day

Rate this topic

Help, I have only had celiac disease since August. I am half Irish and always make corned beed cabbage and noodles for St Patricks Day. I live in the Cleveland area, and have contacted the grocery store near me and they have packaged uncooked corned beef with the little packet of seasonings but tell me its not gluten free. Please can someone tell me where to get gluten free corned beef to cook for St Pattys day.

Although the seasonings could contain gluten, it is almost certain that the corned beef itself is gluten-free. I am not aware of one that does, but it is conceivable. If you are in the US or Canada, the presence of wheat would have to be clearly disclosed. Rye only appears in obvious places like bread. I can't imagine why anybody would add barley to beef. When hidden it is usually a sweetener--not something you would want in corned beef.

Also, be aware that "not gluten-free" may simply mean "we don't test and don't want to risk a lawsuit in case there is unintenional contamination."

Although the seasonings could contain gluten, it is almost certain that the corned beef itself is gluten-free. I am not aware of one that does, but it is conceivable. If you are in the US or Canada, the presence of wheat would have to be clearly disclosed. Rye only appears in obvious places like bread. I can't imagine why anybody would add barley to beef. When hidden it is usually a sweetener--not something you would want in corned beef.

Thank you very much, I am maybe to paranoid, I just dont want to get sick.

Thank you very much, I am maybe to paranoid, I just dont want to get sick.

I picked up a corned beef yesterday at the grocery store, they had 3 different brands and everyone of them said gluten-free on the package. It was written in small letters and somewhere off to the side or bottom corner. I was super excited, I look forward to corned beef and cabbage every year!

I picked up a corned beef yesterday at the grocery store, they had 3 different brands and everyone of them said gluten-free on the package. It was written in small letters and somewhere off to the side or bottom corner. I was super excited, I look forward to corned beef and cabbage every year!

so did I, :lol: , Mine also said gluten -free right on the package . I am looking forward to corned beef and cabbage,,, I may not be Irish ( I'm of Scottish decent ) but I love corned beef and cabbage :D