tsisler

Should I See A Nutritionist?

Rate this topic

Nutritionist  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Did you see a nutritionist when you were first diagnosed?

2. 2. Did you find seeing a nutritionist helpful?

3. 3. How much information did you receive from the nutritionist that you did not find on your own?

• More than half
    • About 50%
    • Less than half
    • None
    • n/a

My doctor recommended that I see a nutritionist but it is not covered by my insurance. What are peoples' experiences? Will I be getting any information from her that I'm not getting from reading about the disease and the gluten-free lifestyle? My husband and I are a bit stressed about money, especially as we need to replace so much in our kitchen and home. I don't want to shell out the money for the nutritionist just to be given the information that I already have. What type of information did people receive from the nutritionist? Did you find it helpful? Would you recommend it? Did it do anything to help you decide how careful to be about cross-contamination (such as - there's nothing on the ingredient list but I emailed the company and although they confirm that all the ingredients are gluten-free - they cannot confirm that the ingredients were not processed in a facility that also processed products containing gluten. can I use the product?)

Thank you for your help!

~Tosha

I contacted a Nutritionist long after I had gone gluten free because I did not feel that my leaky gut was healing. She had some useful input on supplements to bring me back into nutritional balance. She said overall my diet was good; she had her particular biases and some of them I agreed with, some I didn't. It was a useful experience for me, and she had me complete a very thorough health and symptom history.

I contacted a Nutritionist long after I had gone gluten free because I did not feel that my leaky gut was healing. She had some useful input on supplements to bring me back into nutritional balance. She said overall my diet was good; she had her particular biases and some of them I agreed with, some I didn't. It was a useful experience for me, and she had me complete a very thorough health and symptom history.

Thanks for your input Mushroom. I've been dealing with digestive issues for a very long time and am already on supplements. Also - as I have had my colon completely removed (due to IBD), currently have a j-pouch, and also have interstitial cystitis (which comes with its own food restrictions) - I'm guessing that I know more about what I can and can't eat than the nutritionist when it comes to the non-gluten-specific foods. They've had a nutritionist meet with me in the hospital during some of my prolonged stays and this has been my experience. If we spend the money, I just want to make sure it's for something we're going to find productive. Still undecided. Any other input is welcome!

To me, the money may be better spent seeing a Naturpath or holistic doctor - someone who can look at the "whole picture" and can help you with nutrition, supplements and lifestyle changes to help you manage everything you're dealing with.