Pac

Lymes Disease Or Gluten Intolerance?

Rate this topic

When I was 13, I wanted my dr to test me for lymes disease. We lived in a high-risk area, I caught a pretty large collection of ticks during that summer and I was feeling exhausted for weeks, with high temperature, joint and muscle pain. It seemed quite a good guess. Not to the dr. He questioned me, then my mom alone, and then came with a conclusion that I'm psychotic and want the same disease as my father. We persuaded him to do the tests anyway, but when the results same in he just told us "everything's fine". Since then my health was going steadily down, I was searching for other possile causes and I kept hearing "it's all in my head" and "it's normal, get used to it". In 2009 I got diagnosed with gluten allergy, standard gluten-free diet helped but not fully. "Paranoid" gluten-free and rice-free diet seems to help but is not always possible (I keep getting sick after every shopping probably because of the bakeries inside stores). Today I took my medical record to my new employer's doctor for a rutine check-up and listing through it I found the 1995 "everything's fine" results:

Borrelia ELISA IgM ....... positive

Borrelia ELISA IgG ....... borderline positive

What should I do now (beside cutting that doctor to pieces and feeding him to our shelter dogs)? Should I try to get retested or is it too late? Could treating borrelia help with my extreme sensitivity to gluten? I'm just so frustrated right now. I was a typical adept for celiac since early childhood, I developed almost full list of lymes disease symptoms since 1995, I even tested positive for borrelia and still I get labeled as a head case?

When I was 13, I wanted my dr to test me for lymes disease. We lived in a high-risk area, I caught a pretty large collection of ticks during that summer and I was feeling exhausted for weeks, with high temperature, joint and muscle pain. It seemed quite a good guess. Not to the dr. He questioned me, then my mom alone, and then came with a conclusion that I'm psychotic and want the same disease as my father. We persuaded him to do the tests anyway, but when the results same in he just told us "everything's fine". Since then my health was going steadily down, I was searching for other possile causes and I kept hearing "it's all in my head" and "it's normal, get used to it". In 2009 I got diagnosed with gluten allergy, standard gluten-free diet helped but not fully. "Paranoid" gluten-free and rice-free diet seems to help but is not always possible (I keep getting sick after every shopping probably because of the bakeries inside stores). Today I took my medical record to my new employer's doctor for a rutine check-up and listing through it I found the 1995 "everything's fine" results:

Borrelia ELISA IgM ....... positive

Borrelia ELISA IgG ....... borderline positive

What should I do now (beside cutting that doctor to pieces and feeding him to our shelter dogs)? Should I try to get retested or is it too late? Could treating borrelia help with my extreme sensitivity to gluten? I'm just so frustrated right now. I was a typical adept for celiac since early childhood, I developed almost full list of lymes disease symptoms since 1995, I even tested positive for borrelia and still I get labeled as a head case?

Hi Pac,

This is a response from CarlaB, who started the Lyme thread here--

and has a lot of experience and knowledge of the disease.

"That is definitely a positive result and that test is very likely to have a false negative. You need to find a doctor who is willing to treat Lyme Disease. Most doctors are not. Please see the trailer at http://www.facebook.com/l/1577fGbNuEvKm9YBU-nPqkf39uw/www.underourskin.com for an explanation of the political battle within the medical field regarding Lyme Disease.

To find a doctor willing to treat, the best resource is www dot lyme net dot org. You need to change that to the normal format with no spaces. There is a place on the board called "seeking a doctor". If you post there, someone will send you a list of doctors near you.

Severe gluten intolerance can be a result of Lyme Disease. If you don't have celiac disease, which I did not, the gluten intolerance may go away with Lyme treatment. Mine did."