K8ling

Snacks

Rate this topic

Well, I passed out at the store today which was not one of my finer pregnancy moments... Apparently my blood sugar got too low which makes me wonder, am I not doing enough as far as gluten-free snacks go.

Breakfast:

2 pieces of Udi's with strawberry jam and butter (I'm odd like that)

1 bowl of corn chex with 2% milk

1 small cup of coffee with a tiny bit of milk and sugar

Snack:

1 Larabar

1 String cheese

Water

Then I went grocery shopping and hit the deck! Is there something I am missing? I thought I had protein, carbs and some sugar but I guess my body is a little off.

Suggestions?

I would try and eat some protein for breakfast. I am miserable all day if I was to eat all carbs first thing in the morning and I'm not pregnant. I start my day out with a good hearty 2 egg fritatta or eggs of some sort.

I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) when I was younger, though it's less of a problem now. It is good that you are eating frequently, but you may have to watch the sugar content of your food choices. Even though it is from fruits and natural sources, LaraBars are quite high in sugar, which may be causing your blood sugar to spike and then drop rapidly.

The Glycemic Index indicates the effect of carbs on blood sugar...a low GI will have less of a drastic effect. That being said, GI values aren't available for a lot of foods, plus they change when combined with other foods. For instance, the GI of LaraBars might actually not be as high as it would seem since it is combined with nuts.

Apples, pears, and plums are considered low GI, as are most vegetables (excluding carrots, potatoes, and corn). Nuts are also low on the GI. So maybe try an apple, a handful of nuts, and a string cheese for your snack and see if this helps!

Also, adding cinnamon to your breakfast (or any meal/snack) will help lessen the effect of carbs as it regulates blood sugar, reducing the rise in blood sugar after eating.

I hope this helps!

Well, I passed out at the store today which was not one of my finer pregnancy moments... Apparently my blood sugar got too low which makes me wonder, am I not doing enough as far as gluten-free snacks go.

Breakfast:

Snack:

1 Larabar

1 String cheese

Water

Then I went grocery shopping and hit the deck! Is there something I am missing? I thought I had protein, carbs and some sugar but I guess my body is a little off.

Suggestions?

Sorry you had that happen girl! I've been there done that myself (just not while pregnant).

That's not much protein. That's a lot of carbs and sugar. I would have trouble eating that too and I'm not pregnant just a little hypoglycemic. Try natural peanut butter on toast instead of jam. Eat some eggs if you can. I cannot eat eggs alone (I just don't like them that much) so I make a little fried egg sandwhich with two pieces of gluten-free bread or one piece folded in half. You could add some ham or bacon too if you can have it. The carbs and protein balance out better for me that way. I often have a bowl of rice for breakfast but I have to balance it out with a serving of peas or beans or some meat mixed in or I will have a major blood sugar dip a few hours later.

That's not much protein. That's a lot of carbs and sugar.

Yes.

Consider bread or chex, not both. sub in protein, as suggested, or fat. No jam, no sugar without protein/fat at the same time.

I would get dizzy from low blood pressure. Had an ICU gunshot patient scared the pregnant lady was going to pass out. Tried to get me to sit on his bed. The best help for that is water, water & more water.

An easy way to add protein is to eat cold cuts. If you do cheese, that's easy, too.

Breakfast:

Snack:

1 Larabar

1 String cheese

Water

That's very little protein or fat. From my estimates:

2 slices udis - 180cal, 4.5g fat, 27g carbs, 1g fiber, 4g protein

1 tbsp strawberry jam - 50cal, 0g fat, 12g carbs, 0g fiber, 0g protein

1 tsp butter - 33cal, 4g fat, 0g carbs, 0g fiber, 0g protein

1 cup corn chex - 110cal, 0.5g fat, 25.5g carbs, 1g fiber, 2g protein

1/2 cup 2% milk - 70cal, 2.5g fat, 7g carbs, 0g fiber, 5g protein

Total for breakfast: 443 calories, 11.5g fat (23%), 72g carbs (65%), (2g fiber), 11g protein (10%)

For me, if my blood sugar hasn't been relatively rock solid, and even then breakfast is a more demanding beast, my ratios need to be more like 25% fat, 50% carbs, 25% protein. But, besides that, the majority of your carbs are refined, and there is very little fiber in there. Refined carbs spike/drop my blood sugar like crazy.

Thanks so much guys! My doctor scolded me as well, I have been so sick I am just eating whatever I can but I need to try to choke down some eggs. Lately I have been craving string cheese in the morning so tomorrow I am going to try some eggs and some cheese too. I also have some pistachios and almonds in my car now along with a larabar. Funny, I plan meals at home and I make sure they are balanced (we have a meat/protein, veggie, and carb). I guess I forgot it in the horrible morning sickness.

Tomorrow: eggs! cheese! pistachios! MMMM!

When I was pregnant my breakfast was always two slices of bread or toast with an egg, cottage cheese, sliced cheese or peanut butter. I hated snacking but the dietician said I needed to. I tried to get a serving of fruit between meals. I really hate fruit. I was usually able to manage a bite or two though.

Ick, I remember those pregnancy mornings. :ph34r: -- Try some peanut butter, or other nut butter. If it doesn't appeal to you on toast then maybe just take a spoonful of it and eat it very slowly. I happen to love peanut butter like that, but it might not appeal to some. :) -- Also, what about making some sort of breakfast casserole thing, or a quiche, or some other egg dish, but make it the night before. Then freeze it in portions and you can just pop it in the microwave in the morning. That would be good protein without actually having to face a raw egg first thing in the morning. :unsure:

Breakfast:

Snack:

1 Larabar

1 String cheese

Water

Woah, baby! That was almost ALL sugar! Don't forget that any starch turns to sugar in your system.

Editing because of your reply:

I found that eating a very small snack with a bit of protein in it every HOUR, and any time I woke up through the night, helped my pregnancy sickness HUGELY. I got this recommendation from a pediatric nurse. It might be 1/3 of a string cheese or 1/8 of a peanut butter sandwich (no jelly) - just a tiny bit of protein to help keep your blood sugar stable. She told me that blood sugar dropping was a big cause of the sickness.

Also, my prenatal vitamins were making me very ill. Which I discovered after going away for a weekend and forgetting them. My doctor switched me to a different one and the morning sickness that had lingered into the 5th month of pregnancy disappeared like magic. (urgh!)

• Upvote 1

Well the eggs were a no go... the slimeyness just grossed me out too much. Here's what I have been doing instead:

2 pieces of PB toast

1 cup of coffee

1 string cheese

Snack:

Pistachios

apple/pear

string cheese

lemon water

Lunch:

Grilled cheese

Baby carrots

handful of kettlechips

lemon water

Snack 1:

Toast with nutella (I don't argue with the baby)

milk

Snack 2:

a shortbread cookie

milk

string cheese

apple/pear

Snack 3:

Avocado

handful of almonds

Dinner:

Depends on the toddler/what the baby wants

I think I am doing better. The sickness is starting to ease up (no anti nausea medicine today so far but I am starting to feel it). I am getting further into my second trimester and hoping to tolerate more foods. Thank you so much for all the help!!

I found Sargento cheddar cheese in little sticks & wrapped if you get tired of the mozzarella. You could also just cut up cheese slices and keep in a baggie to eat at anytime.

What about pb on celery or apple? Or toast?

Well the eggs were a no go... the slimeyness just grossed me out too much. Here's what I have been doing instead:

2 pieces of PB toast

1 cup of coffee

1 string cheese

Snack:

Pistachios

apple/pear

string cheese

lemon water

Lunch:

Grilled cheese

Baby carrots

handful of kettlechips

lemon water

Snack 1:

Toast with nutella (I don't argue with the baby)

milk

Snack 2:

a shortbread cookie

milk

string cheese

apple/pear

Snack 3:

Avocado

handful of almonds

Dinner:

Depends on the toddler/what the baby wants

I think I am doing better. The sickness is starting to ease up (no anti nausea medicine today so far but I am starting to feel it). I am getting further into my second trimester and hoping to tolerate more foods. Thank you so much for all the help!!

This menu sounds much better. Can you do hummus? I love to dip veggies in hummus. You could dip some rice crackers or corn chips in it too for a yummy snack. There are so many variation on it too if you like hummus--roasted red pepper, garlic, etc.