This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Fellow Soy Sensitives

Strawberry-Jam

Strawberry-Jam Enthusiast

I recently discovered that I may be sensitive to very trace amounts of soy. This is after I had a reaction to almond butter that "may contain traces of soy." The only ingredient was almonds and palm oil and I have no trouble with those in any other food, so the traces of soy is the only other possibility. I also reacted to soy lecithin in something else. (K-toos actually, after eating the whole package in two sittings.)

anyway, Easter is coming up and I wanted to make some good gluten-free baked goodies for it. But all the mixes I looked at in the store--Bob's Red Mill and Pamela's among others--have "made in facility with/on same equipment as/may contain traces of SOY." And all pre-made gluten-free goodies straight-up have soy in them.

:angry::(

I want to bake. for those who are very sensitive to soy, what mixes and flours can you tolerate? Is a shared facility okay, but not shared equipment? Do particular companies never give you trouble, whilst others do?

It was Maranatha Almond butter I reacted to. Had a warning that said "may contain traces of soy."

idk. I could be misinterpreting my symptoms but I am keeping a food diary.

anyway... help?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Namaste mixes have no soy.

thanks!

also, I am on a college-student budget!

any more ideas?

GFinDC Veteran

Flourless peanut butter cookies using organic or natural peanut butter.

There are also flourless brownie recipes although I haven't tried those myself. But some people here seem to like them a lot.

T.H. Community Regular

thanks!

also, I am on a college-student budget!

any more ideas?

I can't have soy either, and we ended up having to buy separate flours and mixing our own mixes. They have proportions for this type of thing on the web in many places, and some don't use soy. Or, you can use another bean flour instead of the soy flour, like chickpea flour, for example. We found these flours much cheaper at ethnic markets. Asian markets had rice flour cheaper. Indian markets had chickpea flour much cheaper(there's another name for it, but I'm blanking on that, sorry!).

Oh, if you are soy sensitive? Beware of sweet potato flour - a lot of them have added soy oil. Also, apples, pears, and citrus typically have a wax coating that has soy or casein added to it to improve the texture, so something to be careful of, if you are eating the fruit peel or zesting the citrus, you know?

Sorry you have to avoid it - I know this ones a real pain sometimes. :-(

mushroom Proficient

Oh, if you are soy sensitive? Beware of sweet potato flour - a lot of them have added soy oil. Also, apples, pears, and citrus typically have a wax coating that has soy or casein added to it to improve the texture, so something to be careful of, if you are eating the fruit peel or zesting the citrus, you know?

Sorry you have to avoid it - I know this ones a real pain sometimes. :-(

GAAAAAHHH!!!!!!

No flaming wonder there is cross-contamination in this world. Not that I can eat citrus, but that is probably why????? But apples and pears??? Is nothing sacred? No..... I guess not :( I don't have a problem with casein, but SOY!!! It's a gosh darned major allergen ferrevinsakes. Messes with your hormones and everything. Spray everything with cyanide why don't you? :o

ARGH I KNOW *fumefume*

I am going to try some "shared facility" mixes (but NOT "shared equipment" or "may contain traces") and see if those are okay. I eat a few products already that I know share a facility with soy but don't have the warning label, and I don't have troubles. I will also see if there are any ethnic markets reasonably close to get flours from.

any good recipes for flour-less peanut butter cookies?? those sound pretty good, actually!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

etta694 Explorer

I just pulled these off sites.. Check out the brownie recipe which I have made and love it because there are no grains at all.. which seems to agree with me best.

I know the cookies work because I've heard of so many people who make them.. or some version of them.

Peanut Butter Cookies

Open Original Shared Link

Ingredients

2 cups peanut butter

2 cups white sugar

4 eggs, beaten

2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)

1 1/2 cups chopped pecans (optional)

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease cookie sheet.

Combine peanut butter, eggs, and sugar and mix until smooth. Mix in chocolate chips and nuts, if desired. Spoon dough by tablespoons onto a cookie sheet.

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Let the cookies cool on the cookie sheets for 5 to 10 minutes before removing.

Black Bean Brownies (you can use Adzuki beans)

1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans (rinsed and drained)

3 eggs

3 tablespoons oil

4 tablespoons cocoa powder

1 pinch salt

1 teaspoon vanilla

3/4 cup sugar

Change Measurements: US | Metric

Directions:

Prep Time: 5 mins

Total Time: 35 mins

1 Mix ingredients together in a blender/food processor until pureed.

2 Pour into a greased 8x8 cake pan.

3 Stir in some chocolate chips and nuts, or leave plain.

4 Bake at 350 F for approximately 30 minutes.

5 Let cool completely before cutting.

Read more: Open Original Shared Link

sa1937 Community Regular

any good recipes for flour-less peanut butter cookies?? those sound pretty good, actually!

I've made this one and it's so easy and good. Works with either creamy or chunky peanut butter. I bought a cookie scoop (like a mini spring-loaded ice cream scoop) so it's super easy. Also criss-crossed them with a fork like I've always made peanut butter cookies. Open Original Shared Link

Thank you all for the recipes!

When I move home I think I will buy some Namaste mixes/flours in bulk from amazon. For now, I found a cool brand in the grocery store called "1-2-3 Gluten Free."

From the box:

"Manufactured in a dedicated allergen-free facility (NO gluten, wheat, dairy, casein, peanuts, tree nuts, eggs and soy.)"

The mixes were a bit expensive--$8 a box (I got pancake mix and cookie mix)--but since I only needed a little and didn't want to pay shipping, I went ahead and got 'em. Can't vouch for the taste yet but they look good to me.

I had to return some Bob's Red Mill stuff I got because I really seemed to react to it (I think I may be one of those celiacs who can't have oats), so I treated myself to those.

Plenty of sweets for Easter! yaaaaaaaaaay

T.H. Community Regular

Oh! I just thought of something - are you doing okay with skin contact with soy, or do you have allergy/contact issues as well?

I just found out the other day that the majority of carpeting in the world has a soy based product on it. Another soy allergic gal filled me in. sigh. I wish they would make everything in the world out of something none of us reacted to, eh?

I don't think I have any skin-contact allergies. Most of my symptoms are neurological.

Archived