This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

People With Large Families - How Do You Keep Your House Safe?

Poppi

Poppi Enthusiast

So I have a big family. Myself, my husband, our 3 kids plus our two Vietnamese girls who are living with us for several years while they study in Canada. (Plus 4 chicks who currently live in a rubbermaid tub in the upstairs kitchen).

Right now I am discovering that I am quite sensitive to even small amounts of cross contamination. I grabbed the wrong peanut butter jar a couple weeks ago and was sick for a whole day when there weren't even visible crumbs.

We are lucky to have 2 kitchens so the upstairs kitchen is mostly gluten free and the downstairs kitchen (where the 3 teenagers live) is full of gluten foods. The only exception to this rule is cans of soup (no crumbs) and a couple of loaves of gluten bread in the upstairs chest freezer that my husband will use to make the little kids toast or sandwiches but he only uses the top of the freezer for that food prep and I don't put my food on that surface.

We have a toaster oven so I feel safe taking the rack out to wash before I toast my bread and my husband is pretty good about wiping it when he's done and dumping out the crumbs.

I can't afford to replace my pots but they aren't Teflon, They are Circulon which is a different type of non stick. I am hoping to replace them in August or September but not before then. So far I don't think they are bothering me though.

I try to avoid contact with gluten foods and crumbs but a certain level is inevitable while cleaning the dining room and emptying lunch boxes and such.

Anyone else with a large family of gluten eaters? How do you keep yourself healthy?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mari Explorer

I live alone but thought I would reply as keeping gluten-free is one of my major preoccupations. It seems to me you are aware of most of what you need to do and are doing it very well. Are you having some symptoms that you think are caused by gluten? If not, then from what I have read, occasional ingestion of very small amounts of gluten won't usually raise the autoimmune antibody levels for most people. But some people are much too sensitive to gluten to be able to tolerate even that small amount. Some people can work in bakeries while others cant even go inside.

Have you thought of having the genetic marker test done to see if you inherited a predisposition to develop Celiac Disease or non-celiac sprue? I had the test done at www.enterolab.com tho there are other online labs. Another test is the molecular serology test offered by Prometheus Labs. This tests the gliadin binding site which presents the gliadin fregment to the antibody making cells. No gluten diet necessary for these tests.

I don't stop by this forum often as people have objected to my emphasis on alternative methods of healing that have been very helpful. Put a message in my inbox.

NorthernElf Enthusiast

I am the only gluten-free one in a family of 5. I have 2 counters literally labelled 'gluten free' - signs on the wall. My toaster is there. I have the top shelf of the freezer, the fridge, & the pantry, and another cupboard. I have my own strainer, large utensil drawer, and fry pan...all my other pots are non stick.

I have a permanent marker that I label my stuff with. My peanut butter, margarine, mayo, etc. is labelled either 'gluten-free' or 'Mom'. The top shelf of the fridge has several jars containing all my flours, and the top shelf of the freezer has bags of my frozen baked stuff (all labelled of course !).

I bought an island on wheels, with drawers, for the gluten-y stuff. On it is their toaster and bread. In the drawers are their plastic storage containers (differnt type than mine) and large utensils (think slotted spoons, plastic measuring cups, etc.).

I'm the cook so I get the most space !

hsmomof6 Rookie

I was just diagnosed and so I'm just getting started at de-glutening my home. I have a husband and 5 kids living at home right now that all are gluten eaters. The kids will all have to be tested, although none are symptomatic as of now. I am trying not to feel overwhelmed at figuring out what I need to separate and change. I found myself wiping crumbs off a countertop the other day and realized that I shouldn't even be touching them. It's hard to break old habits. I'm getting better at finding things to eat now, but the rest is a work in progress at the moment.

zimmer Rookie

Family of 5 here - the only gluten item we have is sandwich bread for lunches, and I make the sandwiches. Sometimes we have pretzels which are easy enough to monitor. It was too much worry to have gluten around. The youngest children are 4 & 6 - old enough to fix snacks but too young to keep things gluten-free. I started out trying to have a mixed kitchen, but then realized that I never knew for sure what had gone on while I wasn't watching. It was not a hard transition. I just tell them it makes mommy feel bad so we don't eat that at home anymore. They are very aware now and even search out gluten free items for me and are learning what is and what isn't safe. As a result we are all eating better these days - carrots are a much better snack than pretzels!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com:
    Donate

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17-M):

• Recent Activity

1. - plumbago replied to Suzi374's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lots of tests

2. - trents replied to Suzi374's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lots of tests

3. - Suzi374 replied to Suzi374's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lots of tests

4. - Suzi374 posted a topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lots of tests

5. - Peace lily posted a topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Would like to gain weight

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Suzi374
    Newest Member
    Suzi374
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• plumbago
      I'm also a nurse, but one who has worked in chronic care, and to some extent, it is more satisfying to see patients through to a diagnosis (as opposed to working in the ED), but an accurate diagnosis does not occur not as often as it should! Your posting presents a lot of information. But a couple of things I can respond to. One, celiac disease is diagnosed by endoscopy and biopsy of the duodenum. So, pathology will need to weigh in. It's not diagnosed on gastroscopy. (At least, not as far as I know). Two, did you get blood tests for celiac disease? You will need to be eating gluten in order for those to be accurate. Three, where was the CT angiogram (of what)? I could go on and on, but thought I'd start there.
    • trents
      Was a biopsy done when you had your gastroscopy? Concerning your anemia, are you B12 deficient? It's nearly impossible to get sufficient B12 if you are a vegetarian unless you take supplements.
    • Suzi374
      And I’m anaemic, however I’m also female and vegetarian. I had an iron trans a couple of years ago however it’s starting to dwindle and taking supplements doesn’t seem to work. I can’t seem to absorb it. 
    • Suzi374
      Hi, I attended a neurologist appt last Tuesday, which I nearly cancelled, due to ongoing numbness and tingling in toes to mid foot. One of the first things he asked was ‘are you celiac’. I’m not. He thought all reflexes were ok but at the last minute decided on nerve conduction tests which were low normal. He was a little confused as he felt they should be better and tried a new set of probs, all the time, giving me multiple shocks which were not enjoyable lol. Anyway, he’s now ordered tests for myeloma, and all the vitaminy things that so many of you mention on here, also tests looking for autoimmune responses. I already have Hashimotos. Interestingly, to me, but maybe someone out there can relate or knows more than i do, although I was a nurse, but ED not ‘weird symptoms’  nurse. Anyway back to the interesting thing, I took duramine in 2013 to lose weight which caused a massive panic attack when I stopped taking it and half my hair fell out. I only took it for a week but it was horrible and I regret it. It triggered ongoing panic attacks which are horrendous. So I feel like I’m a bit crazy. Then in 2020 I had this sudden onset of horrible pain when trying to eat a cinnamon roll. It continued and I lost around 20 kgs. I had two gastroscopes and a colonoscopy and they were all normal. I scored a barium swallow and CT angiogram. All normal. The pain subsided a little but I was left with reflux and an awful feeling that I couldn’t get air when I ate some foods. This was not anxiety.  The anxiety was separate and I still maintain this. This was something to do with eating. It was like the air was thick but I wasn’t short of breath. I just had the sensation I was, then it triggered anxiety. Anyway, I had other weird things- couldn’t bend knees to shave legs in shower lol. Knees felt stiff and swollen but they weren’t. Knee WOUld swell up randomly but mri showed minimal issues. A bit of a meniscus degeneration but insignificant. Then the buzzing sensations in my head, the feeling like someone was stabbing me with something sharp. So now, I pre empted his tests, although I don’t think I’m celiac because it should have come up on gastroscopy, I’ve gone off gluten. Since Tuesday last week so 9 days. Since then I don’t appear to be as constipated, I realised I got through today without a nap and I’m not tired, maybe it’s just today and not related but I get very tired normally and sleep straight after work often, I can bend my knees and shave my legs lol, the buzzing vibrating has gone from my head, I had to call and ambulance as my heart decided we were off on a run, but we weren’t running and I’ve been a bit twitchy at bed time when trying to sleep, reflux is improving, I did get the weird suffocating feeling a bit when eating today but not as bad normall. Tingling and numbness still present and I felt like it moved up my legs a bit today but I’m a bit jittery. So I don’t know if it’s celiac disease or a gluten intolerance but I think, and it may be wishful thinking because my symptoms do make life a bit challenging, but maybe I’m feeling better. I don’t feel as cloudy. My thinking feels crisper. Like there’s no buzzing and I’m not fighting to break through the cloudiness now. I hope so much that this may help me feel a bit better moving forward. It would be a miracle as I really have struggled to work and parent and keep the house clean and I’m always anxious and exhausted.  If you get this far, please tell me if you you can relate to any of the above. Oh and tonsils out 5 years ago but before that antibiotics multiple times a year, sometimes intramuscular because they were so bad.  Op was meant to take 30 mins, it took 1.5 hours due to size of them. 
    • Peace lily
      Im still not gaining weight I’m on a gluten free diet . And still having issues with constapation started priobiocs figured it would help been over two weeks . I guess it’s going to be a long road for me .