This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Fried Green Tomatoes

sherrylynn

sherrylynn Contributor

I have been reading some on the recipies forum but have not seen anything about this. I just wondered, I am wanting to make fried green tomatoes when the tomatoes are ready and don't know what would be the best flour for this. Any idea's? would gluten free biquicke be ok you think or should I try to mix it myself?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mbrookes Community Regular

I do fried green tomatoes (also eggplant) with a mixtre of a little gluten-free flour (commercial mixed like Pamela's) and mostly white corn meal. That works well for me.

sherrylynn Contributor

I do fried green tomatoes (also eggplant) with a mixtre of a little gluten-free flour (commercial mixed like Pamela's) and mostly white corn meal. That works well for me.

I might try Pamela's flour, but I don't use corn meal for my tomatoes. I do use it for okra but I make a batter for my tomatoes.

Thank you for the suggestion. I can't wait for green tomatoes. :P

Juliebove Rising Star

I have made them with no flour at all. Just fried in a little oil.

Keela Newbie

I use rice flour with seasonings mixed in... I think rice flour is crisper than other flours, but it won't turn golden brown. :(

sherrylynn Contributor

I think I am going to try the flours I read about. One is pamela's and the other is gluten free king aurthur. or tom sawyer. I want to getit close to the original so that my family will eat it too.

Wish me luck :D

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I have used glutonous rice flour (AKA sweet rice flour) for fried eggplant and other fried things (chicken, fish, cubed steak) with good results. It seems to stick better than regular rice flour. I have also use the gluten-free Bisquick mix--it worked okay but it's so expensive to end up throwing some out if you don't use every last bit for dredging. I can get the rice flours at an Asian food store for around a $1 a bag.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sherrylynn Contributor

I have used glutonous rice flour (AKA sweet rice flour) for fried eggplant and other fried things (chicken, fish, cubed steak) with good results. It seems to stick better than regular rice flour. I have also use the gluten-free Bisquick mix--it worked okay but it's so expensive to end up throwing some out if you don't use every last bit for dredging. I can get the rice flours at an Asian food store for around a $1 a bag.

ok, the glutonous rice flour, now where does the gluten come from? (I bet you knew I would ask that, haha) does it come from the rice flour itself? I have never heard of it before. Of course I am so new to all this that I have never heard of a lot of stuff.

I am going to start the diet tomarrow. I am sooo looking forward to feeling better.

So I will try to find an asian store around here. There might be one in Little Rock. :)

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

ok, the glutonous rice flour, now where does the gluten come from? (I bet you knew I would ask that, haha) does it come from the rice flour itself? I have never heard of it before. Of course I am so new to all this that I have never heard of a lot of stuff.

I am going to start the diet tomarrow. I am sooo looking forward to feeling better.

So I will try to find an asian store around here. There might be one in Little Rock. :)

Oh glutonous rice flour is gluten free! Haha, sorry I should have said that first. I think they make it from the sticky rice and that is why it is called "glutenous". the only ingredients in the flour will be rice and maybe water. It seems to stick to the things you are frying better in my experience. And it does get golden brown for me but I also dip foods in egg white, then flour with seasonings and then back in egg white and back in flour (I do a double coat like that for most thigns and a triple coat when making chicken fried steak--which I have only made once since going gluten free but it worked wonderfully.

Marilyn R Community Regular

Archived