This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need To Rant

basslady

basslady Newbie

A few weeks ago I bought a medical I.D. bracelet saying that I have celiac along with other medical issues. A week ago in orchestra a guy in my section saw me take it off. He said "Is that a gluten free bracelet?" I had no problem with him asking me. At that time it was more of a question and I have no problem educating people about celiac. But then yesterday he said very loudly "Is that your gluten free bracelet?" Everyone turned and looked at me. AHHHH Why did he have to draw attention to a bracelet that I have been wearing for weeks and draw attention to me being "different" from everyone. And the way he said it was worse. It was like he was mocking me for wearing it. I don't chose to have celiac. I need to wear it so that if something happens they wont give me glutenised medication. If i am exposed to it I have major asthma problems. The next time he does this I am going to flip.

Thank you for letting me rant.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Monklady123 Collaborator

What kind is it? I mean, what style. I have one (not for celiac) that's made for women, and it's got beads and sparkly things on it. lol.. So if you had one like that the next time this guy -- or anyone -- says anything you could say "yes it is, I just got this new style, thank you for noticing! Isn't it pretty?" Kill 'em with kindness, as my mother used to say.

And who knows, you might help someone else. I actually had a woman notice mine once at our local pool. She said that her 7-year-old daughter had just been diagnosed with diabetes and she needed a bracelet but didn't like the chunky ordinary ones. (why her doctor didn't tell her about another style I don't know, but that would be another post...the doctor rant one.) So I told her where I'd gotten mine. :)

But, I totally understand what you're saying. I still hate the "standing out" part of this gluten free thing. Having to always talk to waiters, and trying to figure out how to do communion in church, and in general always being different. When I get to thinking too much like that I remind myself that at least our illness is 100% treatable, and without medication too!

Diane-in-FL Explorer

Where do you get the bracelets? :)

Monklady123 Collaborator

Where do you get the bracelets? :)

I got mine at Lauren's Hope (laurenshope.com) :)

Diane-in-FL Explorer

I got mine at Lauren's Hope (laurenshope.com) :)

Thank you!

collgwg Contributor

omg thats awful people just do not understand at all

my hubby said oh you still can eat that fish we have with the batter on it just wipe off the batter

like that would help they just dont understand that gluten is quite dangerous and some times worse in others i have found

now for this asthma symptoms ever since i got sick feb 23 i have realy bad asthma symptoms and needing puffers now the dr said its because i smoke,

is it because of being glutenated?

i have been gluten free for about 4 days and i am finding that this cough is starting to break up some i can tell its not a cold and i can tell if i consume gluten cause the cough and of course insides go right into spasums

Jestgar Rising Star

my hubby said oh you still can eat that fish we have with the batter on it just wipe off the batter

Dip his in the kitty litter box and tell him he can just wipe of the coating. :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bigbird16 Apprentice

Dip his in the kitty litter box and tell him he can just wipe of the coating. :P

Love it! LOL

K8ling Enthusiast

I have two bracelets from Laurens Hope and I LOVE mine. I wear mine for Asthma and had celiac put on it too... It's barely noticeable.

collgwg Contributor

lol kitty litter

basslady Newbie

Thank you all. Consuming gluten does make my asthma worse. I can still have a problem without gluten but gluten triggers it when I am exposed. I have a pretty bracelet. The chain is made from heart rings. I like it. I bought it of off Amazon. I love the idea of thanking him for noticing. Haha I will do that the next time he brings it up.

Darn210 Enthusiast

Well, my friends here will tell you that I'm a smart...ummmm...alec (yeah, that's it) and I would probably have to say something like . . . "You've already asked about my bracelet twice. What's up with the memory issue?"

LOL on the kitty litter.

Takala Enthusiast

Those are very attractive bracelets !

You could get one of those inexpensive colored silicone rubbery "livestrong" bracelets and have it handy in your pocket for the next time Mr. Inept makes a comment. (if you wanted to take the joke even further, get one of the "power balance" holograph knockoffs that is supposed to have magical powers for athletes). Whip it out and hand it to him with a big flourish, and announce that This Protective Power Band Will Make the Sound Waves Keep HIM from Getting Celiac from sitting near you. ;)

Archived