kota

Blood Sugar / Diabetes Question

Rate this topic

I recently got a copy of some medical records from a former doctor and discovered that they 'forgot' to tell me lab results from a year ago (prior to going gluten free). I was so upset to discover that I am (was?) pre-diabetic. I have always known I have a larger risk of having diabetes (long family history, and I was a gestational diabetic), but had been told my glucose levels were normal - which they are not, or weren't a year ago. I'm a healthy weight and I exercise so that 'should' keep my risk down a bit. I must admit the thought of 'one more' dietary issue is more than a little overwhelming.

I will, of course,be going to my current doc soon regarding this, but was wondering if anyone knows of any good information I could find about celiac and diabetes? Most everything I find is regarding type 1 diabetes - can I assume there isn't much of a link between celiac and type 2 diabetes? I'm curious to see if going gluten free has affected my glucose levels at all (for better or worse).

Has anyone else had similar issues?

Unfortunately it is very common for diabetics to go undiagnosed for many years. This kept happening to me until I wound up in the hospital with what I now know are complications from the diabetes.

Note that I do not have celiac. I did have gestational diabetes and I now have type 2. My SIL's sister had gestational diabetes and now has type 2. The woman is very much underweight. SIL had gestational diabetes but so far has escaped type 2.

I learned the hard way always to ask for a copy of my labs. I can't tell you how many times I was told things were normal for me or my daughter and they were not!

You might like to check in on the Bernstein Diabetes Forum. There are diabetics (type 1, type 2 and type 1.5 or LADA) there with food intolerances, including celiac. I think anything that causes inflammation can aggravate a propensity towards blood glucose disregulation.

http://www.diabetes-book.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

I too found out from the Veterans Hospital in Denver, had blood lab reports hidden. The Reports said, way back in 1985, I had hypoglycemia, and possible Type 1 diabetes or Diabetes Mellitus. The VA Hospital did not finally admit it until 2004. In 2004 they finally came out and, stated I had hypoglycemia. Then, I was given the old version of the Celiac Test. Then, they said, I had celiac Disease as well. The only reason for this hold off situation was over money. The VA knew I would have to be paid money for disability. They did not want this so they were willing to harm my health to save the government money. Back in 1982, I went to the doctors monthly complaining of symptoms of Celiac, Hypoglycemia, and Diabetes. Yet, I was made suffer all those years. Go figure !