norazoey

Gluten Problem? Affect Thyroid Function

Rate this topic

Good Morning,

This is my first time posting, I apologize in advance for the length of my post but am at my wits end and DESPERATE FOR SOME ANSWERS. I have been taking Nexium or Zegerid on an as needed basis for 10 years for what Dr's say is acid reflex.

I also have been dx and treated for hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's) for the last 4 years, surgery 2 years ago to remove large nodules and right thyroid lobe.

I have been having problems getting my Synthroid dosage regulated seem my dosage is either increased or decreased every time I have labs, and my symptoms are all over the place. Dr's keep telling me NONE of my symptoms are thyroid related, but will not look into any other causes. I have been put on several anti-anxiety/depressants, and stomach medication, that DO NOT seem to be helping.

Dr's keep saying it is just anxiety and acid reflex.

Symptoms*

Tired, Cold, Constipation,Body Aches (Hands,Hips,Back,Knees),Headaches, Low Mood,Mind Slow,Trouble Concentrating/Memory,Weight gain

Periods of *

Not sleeping, Hot, Night Sweats, Loose stools,

Racing Heart, Palpations, Mind Races, Shortness of breath,

Shakes, Weight loss, Nervousness/Anxious,

In March 2010 I started having these spell (for lack of a better word)

Severe bloating,gas, belching, stomach cramps, Pain breast bone area and under right rib cage, Right shoulder blade pain, Nausea, Constipation/Loose stools and noticed some of the *above symptoms seem to go along with these spells.

I notice these symptoms seem to happen when I eat bread,cookies,pizza,cereal, ect.or drink beer.

Dr's say then don't eat those foods!!!

So I have tried to avoid these foods, but seem to be still having problems with gravies, soups, and sauces.

Do you think I could have a problem with gluten?

Is it possible for gluten to cause anxiety,not able to think right (slow brain),and racing heart, sleep problems ect????

Can problems with gluten affect thyroid function ?

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you so much for your time.

Welcome to the board. Yes your symptoms could be celiac and yes celiac can impact the thyroid and pretty much any other organ. You first step is to go to your doctos and tell him you want to be tested for celiac. Do not stop eating gluten until you are done with testing. Do be aware that celiac testing has high false negative rates but even a low positive is a positive.

Aw i really feel for you. definatly try and be tested for Celiac Disease, even if you have a negative ask for a biopsy (painless!) to get a proper result. I can relate to the shakiness, palpitations, weight loss, shortness of breathe, being soooo cold all the time and pale! Everything really before i was diagnosed.

Yes, it could ALL be related to eating or ingesting even the smallest amounts of Gluten.

I lived that nightmare of symptoms too for about 7 years, and now my thyroid is full of nodules and I have Hashimoto's. Dr's tell me my symptoms are not thyroid too, but nothing else surfaced. I have had a complete change mentally and physically from eliminating gluten. I have only been gluten free for 8 months but absolutely everything that was wrong has changed for the better. I hope you can get tested, but even if you can't, go ahead and see if eliminating gluten helps your anxiety and host of other symptoms. It amazes me every day.

Yes, yes, yes gluten can affect thyroid function! All of your symptoms could be caused by changes in thyroid. Your "symptoms" are classic hypothyroid symptoms and your "Periods of:" list is hyperthyroid. You may have times when the gluten alters your thyroid function by triggering autoimmunity. Thyroid function can swing up and down with Hashimoto's until your thyroid "burns out" leading to periods when you are hyperthyroid. I am really surprised your doctors don't recognize this happening. I also recently learned that you can get Graves' disease along with Hashimoto's which causes thyroid fluctuation.

Gluten worsens all this autoimmunity. There are some Drs saying all people with Hashimoto's should be gluten-free and I'm getting ready to cut out casein as well.

• Upvote 1

Can problems with gluten affect thyroid function ?

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you so much for your time.

Yes, gluten can effect thyroid function .Eliminating soy ,in addition to gluten,may be something to consider .

Has your doctor tested you for Graves??

Welcome to the forums norazoey, :)

I agree with chill. You need to be tested for celiac and Graves. And after testing eliminate both gluten and soy from your diet. I bet you will feel like a new woman :D

Thank you all so much for your replies and info.

I have already removed a lot of foods from my diet due to them making me so sick. So not sure if testing would show anything. But will talk to Dr again about this on my next visit.

I guess I will try eliminating all gluten (I don't eat soy) and see if that helps with symptoms.

Again thank you for your time.

Yes, yes, yes gluten can affect thyroid function! All of your symptoms could be caused by changes in thyroid. Your "symptoms" are classic hypothyroid symptoms and your "Periods of:" list is hyperthyroid. You may have times when the gluten alters your thyroid function by triggering autoimmunity. Thyroid function can swing up and down with Hashimoto's until your thyroid "burns out" leading to periods when you are hyperthyroid. I am really surprised your doctors don't recognize this happening. I also recently learned that you can get Graves' disease along with Hashimoto's which causes thyroid fluctuation.

Gluten worsens all this autoimmunity. There are some Drs saying all people with Hashimoto's should be gluten-free and I'm getting ready to cut out casein as well.

With the little research I have done on Hashimoto's I too am surprised my doctors don't recognize this, My Endo says not possible for thyroid to cause all these symptoms, He say he is treating my hypothyroidism by testing TSH and FT4 and adjust meds according to them (which has been every 3-6 months). He says see GP for anxiety. GP agrees with Endo.

The surgeon who removed 1/2 my thyroid thought for sure I had thyroid cancer, or Ridel's (sp) but biopsy came back negative for cancer Dx Hashimoto's thyroiditis. So he ordered TPO antibodies test to confirm results were 911.0 range (<35).

For the last 4 years I seem to be getting no where fast with doctors so I guess I will go totally gluten free and see if that helps, sure can't hurt to try.

Thank you so much for your time.

I guess I will try eliminating all gluten (I don't eat soy) and see if that helps with symptoms.

If you are in the US labels will be clearly marked if a product contains wheat and/or soy. All salad dressing that I have found contain soy oil as does mayo and canned tuna. Check your labels you may be consuming more soy than you realize. I am so sensitive to soy that I can not consume rice crackers made in a shared facility with soy. The CC (cross contamination) is enough to make me very ill.

If you are in the US labels will be clearly marked if a product contains wheat and/or soy. All salad dressing that I have found contain soy oil as does mayo and canned tuna. Check your labels you may be consuming more soy than you realize. I am so sensitive to soy that I can not consume rice crackers made in a shared facility with soy. The CC (cross contamination) is enough to make me very ill.

Thank you so much for sharing that!!! I guess I do eat soy and didn't even realize it :o I think this is going to be harder than I thought, but definitely worth a try since nothing else seems to be working for me.

If you don't mind me asking What Can You Eat that is safe?

Thanks again

Thank you so much for sharing that!!! I guess I do eat soy and didn't even realize it :o I think this is going to be harder than I thought, but definitely worth a try since nothing else seems to be working for me.

If you don't mind me asking What Can You Eat that is safe?

Thanks again

I make my own dressing using olive oil. My daughter makes her own Mayo ( I dont because I am allergic to eggs ) I stick with mainly whole foods.

Look for soy In Addition to wheat/gluten when you read your food labels. It can be over whelming at first but it does get easier :)