Newtoitall

Those Of You Who Were Once Lactose Intolerant

Rate this topic

How many of you were told after being gluten free for so long to try dairy and see if you could handle it?

and how many of you found you COULD eat dairy?

how long was it before you healed enough to be ok with dairy?

It took about 3 years of gluten-free living for me to fully heal and handle dairy. But since I've been off it so long, I just don't like the taste of it anymore. I was lactose intolerant for a long time before my diagnosis and then abstained for several years after - so I grew to do without it and it doesn't appeal.

Testing indicates that I can't tolerate casein (although lactose is OK) and I'd be interested to know what the experience of others are in this regard. My readings on this forum seem to indicate a more favorable outcome for those who are lactose intolerant, that they seem to be able to reintroduce that into their diets, but I'd love to be wrong, that it could be true for the protein and not just the sugar.

Has anyone who is casein intolerant been able to reincorporate dairy, and how long did it take?

I knew I was lactose intolerant (and avoided it) long before I knew I was gluten intolerant, so it was already an ingrained habit. After about a year of gluten free I tried some capucchinos (with some Lactaid) and that went okay, and I was happy with this. I only really missed ice cream. And I added that back in about a year ago :D . I probably could have done it sooner, but I didn't want to be disappointed.

When I switched to raw milk.

I was very intolerant to lactose. Milk and cheese would make me very bloated and gassy. It was very painful, I was lactose intolerant long before I became celiac.

After a little over a year, I tried Lactaid milk and Lactaid tablets. It worked! I no longer need the tablets when I eat cheese. I do however still use Lactaid milk. I really like it. For ice cream, I make my own using Lactaid milk and heavy cream. The Lactaid milk seems to be enough to counteract the cream. You can pick up an ice cream maker at Target or Walmart. They are nice to have. For dairy free people, you can make fantastic fruit sorbets.

Yogurt still make me pretty sick so I avoid that.

If I were doing this, I would start with Lactaid milk on some cereal and see how that goes. :)