Greenling

Question About Lactose Intolerance

Rate this topic

I'd appreciate input from those of you who have lactose intolerance/eat dairy-free. I was diagnosed three weeks ago with Celiac, but have been eating Gluten-free for 8 weeks. I'm now trying to determine if I'm processing dairy okay or if I should eliminate it for a while (I was dairy-free for the first four week, then added it back in). I seem to react to it sporadically.

I spoke with a dietician about fatigue and working out and she suggested I up my protein intake with a Gluten-free whey protein powder. I've been mixing it into my green smoothie and it's helped with energy, nutrition, etc. I haven't seemed to react to it in any way. But last night I had butter and shredded cheese on a potato and had diarrhea. This morning I had skim milk and same result. So, is it possible that I'd react to milk, cheese, and butter, but not the whey protein powder? Is this a casein reaction?

Thanks!

With lactose, it's possible that a little bit is okay for you but eating all those things at once was too much. When I was just lactose intolerant I had that problem. I could get away with a little cheese or butter about twice a week but if I ate dairy in multiple forms I would pay for it. Of the things you ate, the milk is the highest in lactose. The cheese and butter would be lower lactose foods as is most yogurt. I don't know anythign about the whey protein powder. I never got to the point of being lactose tolerant enough to handle milk or ice cream. For a while I could eat yogurt every day. In my case I ended up developing a milk allergy, which is NOT typical. I think most people go on to either heal enough to eat it again or they just stay dairy free. IMO it is too soon for you to be testing milk. I would drop all milk for at least 6 months and then try some low lactose forms. This is an individual decision of course and if you know whether you have villi damage or not could play a part in your decision of how long you neeed to avoid the dairy.

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate your time. I am planning on removing milk and other dairy (I just miss my skim milk!) for a while; perhaps I can re-test at the end of the year. But I do want to keep the whey protein powder if I can. If I don't notice a reaction to it, can I assume all is well with the whey protein powder? or does it cause a hidden reaction as gluten can? If it helps, I did not test positive for any dairy allergy.

Greenling

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate your time. I am planning on removing milk and other dairy (I just miss my skim milk!) for a while; perhaps I can re-test at the end of the year. But I do want to keep the whey protein powder if I can. If I don't notice a reaction to it, can I assume all is well with the whey protein powder? or does it cause a hidden reaction as gluten can? If it helps, I did not test positive for any dairy allergy.

Greenling

If you are sure it's not causing any reaction than it's okay to keep it, IMO. What you might try doing is dropping the protein powder (along with all dairy) for just two weeks and then trying the protein powder again when you are feelign good to be sure that you have no reaction. It may be something where it only makes you feel a little off, but you wouldn't notice unless you dropped it all and then tried it again. If you are really wanting the protein there are other non-dairy protein powders out there. I can't help you with the brand names (maybe make a new post to ask?) but I know I have seen someone mention a protein powder that is sunflower seed or pea protein based instead of milk. Chia seeds are good sources of protein as well.

Thank you so much! This has helped me out a lot. :)

You can get a hemp protein powder from Tader Joe's (if you have one) to substitute for the whey.

Sadly, no Trader Joe's nearby. But I think I can find a replacement protein powder if I have to (so far, I have had no problem with the whey). I'll keep hemp in mind.

I ordered Rice Protein Powder from (Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned). It's not the best tasting, but it's gluten and lactose free and is also vegan, so it does the job.