alissar

Sugar?

Rate this topic

I have been gluten-free about a year now and I am still getting bad GI upset and somewhat swollen eyes in the morning. I notice that after I eat desserts or a lot of sugar I get gassy and have horrible D. I had two brownies (gluten-free) about an hour before bed last night and woke up with a very swollen face, headache, and basically I feel like I am hungover. Could this be a sign that my villi aren't healed? Should I expect a healing time of about 2 years? Does sugar have an effect on anyone else? So, if I am to give up sugar should that include fruits too? I really love fruit. Your help is, as always, GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

One more question. I go out to dinner with my in-laws once/week. Some restaurants I just feel kind of iffy about. If I am getting tiny amounts of cc 1x/week could that prevent me from healing? My enterolab anti-gliandin went from 68 (>10 is positive for gluten sensitivity) to 15 (still positive but much better) in a year. Should the lab values be normal by now?

Thanks!

You could be dealing with a fructose intolerance. There have been some recent threads on that. If you do a board search they should be easy to find.

It is not unusual for us to have other intolerances. The most common are soy and dairy but some have problems with fructose or nightshades.

If you are getting CC'd at the restaurants it could be keeping you from healing fully. This is especially the case if it is on a weekly basis. That said it sounds like your antibodies are going down pretty well. I don't know if the small amount of weekly CC would keep those levels at a low positive but I think it might. Do you go to places that have gluten-free menus? If not do you talk to the server to make sure they are doing all that is needed to keep your meal safe?

I just received the results of an IgG Food Allergy Test which showed that one of the things I'm allergic to is cane sugar. That should explain why I have a problem with Betty Crocker gluten-free cookie mix. But, for me, I don't think it would affect my fruit consumption.

It probably is something you're eating. I know I didn't start recovering until I went on an even more restricted diet than just gluten free.

The issue you might be having is that grains, nuts, legumes, and nightshade plants have high amounts of lectins, which are plant proteins that irritate the intestinal tract. Sugar is also an irritant all on its own.

On my doctor's advice, I've been on a Paleo diet for the last two months and have been finally healing and feeling better. Its amazing. The diet allows all veggies/fruits except nightshades and high glycemic fruit, and allows coconut and meats (no grains, legumes, nuts, sugar, caffeine, and alcohol). That sounds really limited, but its not really that bad.

My doc also recommended I take RepairVite, which is a powdered vitamin suppliment that helps your intestines to heal. That stuff was wonderful.

If I were you I'd also stop going to the restaurant. You can't afford any chance of getting glutened, as it takes your body a long time to recover each time it happens.

Much luck to you on the road to recovery!!

I just received the results of an IgG Food Allergy Test which showed that one of the things I'm allergic to is cane sugar. That should explain why I have a problem with Betty Crocker gluten-free cookie mix. But, for me, I don't think it would affect my fruit consumption.

I was also diagnosed (by blood test) with allergy to cane sugar. My reaction symptoms are tachycardia (48 hours) and nausea, which differ from my usual food allergy symptoms (cramping gut pain, gas, bloating, constipation). My other allergies/intolerances include gluten, dairy, soy, eggs, vanilla and nutmeg. So I can't eat most processed desserts or mixes. Despite my cane sugar allergy, I can still eat beet sugar, honey, agave, maple syrup. However, I can't eat molasses, brown sugar, evaporated cane juice or Splenda, which are all derived from cane sugar. I do not react to unsweetened fruit and have no diagnosed allergies to any fruits. My husband's allergy test results showed he reacts to red grapes and blueberries, but not other fruits.

when u said the gluten free brownie bothered u- i immediately thought that gluten free flour would be the culprit- at least it is for me. i dont know what you used- but SO MANY of those gluten free starchy flours bother many of us!! sorghum, tapioca, potato, garbanzo bean, corn, etc... i can get away with small amounts sometimes- but many times- it almost feels like a glutening.