This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is It A Big Set Back If You Consume Something With Gluten In It?

ericsnow

ericsnow Rookie

Do you feel bad for a day? A couple days? A couple weeks?

I ask because I've been gluten/casein free since June 3rd, and in July I'm going to an allergist to get the official diagnosis. I know they prick/inject you with a tiny bit of gluten/casein to see if you're allergic to it, so will this prick/injection set me back that much or should I not worry too much?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

An allergist uses skin-prick testing for ALLERGIES.

Are you being tested for a wheat allergy??

There are no "side effects" that I know of--unless you react positively to the allergen. The area will get red and raised.

You will not be "ingesting" gluten.

ericsnow Rookie

An allergist skin-prick test is for ALLERGIES.

You will not be "ingesting" gluten. I am confused as what diagnosis you are looking for from the allergist.

I know I wont be eating the gluten or wheat when I get the skin prick test, but if it gets into my blood stream is that not the same thing as eating it?

I am going to a food allergy doctor to find out for sure whether I'm allergic to gluten and dairy. Is that not the type of doctor I should be going to for this?

IrishHeart Veteran

There is no such thing as a gluten "allergy."

If you are looking to see if you are gluten and/or casein intolerant, you need to be CONSUMING these food proteins at the time of testing to measure the autoimmune reaction. Skin prick testing is for allergies.

Allergies are different from food intolerances.

You may wish to read up on this important difference before you start testing so you get the answers you are looking for.

ericsnow Rookie

There is no such thing as a gluten "allergy."

If you are looking to see if you are gluten and/or casein intolerant, you need to be CONSUMING these food proteins at the time of testing to measure the autoimmune reaction. Skin prick testing is for allergies.

Allergies are different from food intolerances.

You may wish to read up on this important difference before you start testing so you get the answers you are looking for.

Okay so what type of doctor do I go to to get tested for a gluten and casein intolerance?

IrishHeart Veteran

Okay so what type of doctor do I go to to get tested for a gluten and casein intolerance?

Post this question separately, okay?? -- so people can respond with their suggestions. The title of your post as it stands now will not get the response you require.

If you are looking to be tested for celiac that's a blood panel test and any medical doctor can order it. Again, you need to be consuming gluten for it to be valid.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

An allergist uses skin-prick testing for ALLERGIES.

There are no "side effects" that I know of--unless you react positively to the allergen. The area will get red and raised.

You will not be "ingesting" gluten.

Irish Heart, you are correct in everythign you said except I have to disagree with you on this one thing. I thought I would be fine when I went in for my allergy testing because the skin pricks were not ingested. They DO however go into the blood stream and the skin prick test glutened me. I had my usual neuro symptoms for a week. I posted here after my allergy testing and it was confirmed by others on here that I was silly for thinking that needles in my arm with gluten in them would not gluten me. If it get into the blood stream it will gluten you. Now all that said, you are very right abotu the differences between allergies and food intolerances (I just happen to have BOTH).

Ericsnow--it's important you educate yourself on the difference because the testing is completely different. You would want to see a GI doctor to be tested for celiac disease. But prior to testing if you have been gluten-free you will need to add gluten back into your diet for about 3 months in order to get a chance at an accurate test result. Now obviously if your symptoms are really bad that may not work for you to get celiac testing. If your symptoms are anything like hives or breathing difficulty then you may have a wheat allergy instead but if you are having neurological symptoms or stomach-related symptoms then it could be celiac or non-celiac gluten intolerance.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ericsnow Rookie

Irish Heart, you are correct in everythign you said except I have to disagree with you on this one thing. I thought I would be fine when I went in for my allergy testing because the skin pricks were not ingested. They DO however go into the blood stream and the skin prick test glutened me. I had my usual neuro symptoms for a week. I posted here after my allergy testing and it was confirmed by others on here that I was silly for thinking that needles in my arm with gluten in them would not gluten me. If it get into the blood stream it will gluten you. Now all that said, you are very right abotu the differences between allergies and food intolerances (I just happen to have BOTH).

Ericsnow--it's important you educate yourself on the difference because the testing is completely different. You would want to see a GI doctor to be tested for celiac disease. But prior to testing if you have been gluten-free you will need to add gluten back into your diet for about 3 months in order to get a chance at an accurate test result. Now obviously if your symptoms are really bad that may not work for you to get celiac testing. If your symptoms are anything like hives or breathing difficulty then you may have a wheat allergy instead but if you are having neurological symptoms or stomach-related symptoms then it could be celiac or non-celiac gluten intolerance.

The last time I ate cottage cheese (which contained gluten and obviously dairy) I got a terrible reaction which included suicidal thoughts. If you're saying I have to add back in these foods in order to get an accurate test result well then I'm not getting tested lol. I'll just continue on the gluten/dairy free diet and as time goes on if I feel better then I will have my answer, I don't need a silly test ;)

IrishHeart Veteran

The last time I ate cottage cheese (which contained gluten and obviously dairy) I got a terrible reaction which included suicidal thoughts. If you're saying I have to add back in these foods in order to get an accurate test result well then I'm not getting tested lol. I'll just continue on the gluten/dairy free diet and as time goes on if I feel better then I will have my answer, I don't need a silly test ;)

That's what I would do, Eric...if you want my humble opinion. I wouldn't go back to feeling that way either for any test!! :) Wise man!!

Stay well!

JenM. Newbie

I went to an allergist last week who tested for wheat and when it came back I am not allergic was the dr. to finally send me to get the blood test.

Here is what I learned: The allergist can't tell if you have an intolerance. I know if I eat wheat (gluten) products I get sick. I know if I eat corn or red meat I get black eyes and lethargic for a day or 2 afterwards. He tells me I'm not allergic to wheat corn or beef.

I am allergic to lamb, dogs and dust. I also have to go back for more allergy testing and to get the results of the blood test.

Really if it wasn't for the allergist I don't know that I would have gotten the test.

Skylark Collaborator

You go back to eating gluten, and wait a few weeks. On a full gluten diet, you can ask a general practitioner for a celiac panel.

Oops... just read your response about awful reactions to cottage cheese. (By the way, what cottage cheese contains gluten???) Like you, I went gluten-free without testing and never looked back. It wasn't worth the stomach aches.

bigbird16 Apprentice

Hi, Eric.

Regarding the casein, I don't think there is a test for casein intolerance other than Enterolab (which may not be covered by insurance and is not necessarily recognized, as the doctor hasn't published) and dietary elimination. You can be tested using Enterolab while not consuming gluten or casein. After I got rid of the gluten in my diet, I was still getting some neuro symptoms and belly issues. I ditched dairy, felt tons better, tried to reintroduce it, and the reaction gave me my answer. I did Enterolab testing, as well, and it did show sensitivity to dairy. I can tell within about 10 minutes that I've gotten into something with dairy; a buzzing starts in my head along with dissociation, and I start getting snippy with people and nauseous. Then I go drive the porcelain bus and settle in for a migraine. Fun times.

All the best to you in your journey to wellness!

Katherine

Archived