This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bones/joints Q

Mummyto3

Mummyto3 Contributor

Has anyone had problems with their joints/bones before they found out they were celiac? Test results not back til next week. Two years ago, my left hip started popping/clicking/grinding. A year later (last yr) I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid. This year, my right hip started feeling like its grinding when I lift my leg and now my left shoulder is grinding and popping. There's no pain but it's just a horrible noise, and I'm starting to worry. I've always had probs with anemia, but luckily recent test is normal and so is thyroid, with help of meds.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mummyto3 Contributor

PS My ankles are the same, noticed today. I also have persistant lower back pain too. My jaw also clicks, happened since being a teen. I have to 'unlock' it if I come to yawn otherwise it locks and it hurts. I'm falling apart!

zimmer Rookie

I had bad hip pain that has gone away since going gluten-free.

I have similar problems with my jaw locking, but I can't tell for sure if this is better since it doesn't happen often. I catch myself when yawning to be sure I don't open too wide, but it also happens in my sleep. I thought this was more related to a TMJ problem.

I have weak ankles, and have had shoulder trouble in the past. My shoulders don't hurt so much anymore. However it's hard to tell what's related to gluten except for my hips since that was an immediate improvement. Also I recently got glutened and the next day was really hurting in my hips.

Lower back pain - not so much a problem for me but I expect it to show up later. My mom has arthritis in her back so I think I may get it. But then, arthritis & celiac are connected somehow so I'm hoping a gluten-free diet may lessen my troubles if they should arise.

IrishHeart Veteran

I have horrid joint/bone/muscle pain and TMJ dysfunction. :blink: It's slightly better 6 months gluten-free, but I work at it with a PT, a chiropractor and an MT. I have arthritis, too. :( I was crippled by this pain and the nerves were affected as well. I have hope it will reduce. I never give up. I figure it happened because of the inflammation and if the inflammation goes down...then I should feel better. (the PT, MT and chiro think so too.)

Lots of people on here report a reduction in this pain after going gluten-free. Hang in there--you are young and may likely recover faster. :)

best wishes!!

Harpgirl Explorer

I won't get my test results back until the 7th of next month, but going gluten free has helped my cramping.

I too have trouble with my jaw. My dentist said it was TMJ and suggested that I not chew gum. I still (well, not anymore) have trouble with really chewy breads like Panara Bread's sourdough crust because of it. If I'm really tired and don't pay attention to how I yawn, it will catch very painfully.

I've never really had much trouble with the rest of my joints except one knee that I injured back in high school. To be honest though, perhaps gluten made it really weak or something because all I did was sit down wrong in my desk, and it caused me to have 2 arthroscopies (the last one they found a 1 inch chunk of cartilage floating around loose in there). Prior to that second surgery, I too had lots of popping and cracking. I still have a little trouble with it and try to stick to low impact cardio (when I ever exercise :P )

Anyway, that probably doesn't help you much except that I'm kind of in the same boat pre-results. ;)

txplowgirl Enthusiast

At one time I was at a point I couldn't stand for longer than an hour because my lower back and legs would go numb and get so weak they wouldn't support me.

Right side hip pain so bad, sometimes I couldn't walk without limping. I thought I would have to have a hip replacement. My shoulders, wrists, ankles, knees all would snap, crackle and pop from the time I was a kid. My dad would sometimes laughing say "Here comes the Rice Krispies Kid!" And yes my jaw has done the same thing too. It took a good year at least for all of that to go away but I not only had to get rid of the gluten but soy, dairy and the nightshade vegetables also.

Mummyto3 Contributor

Thanks so much for the replies. I yawned loads last night and my jaw clicked each time. Luckily it wasn't painful. Talking of chewing, if I have something chewy and I chew and chew my jaw will start aching really badly. This happened a few weeks ago, it was horrible. I'm so worried now.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Harpgirl Explorer

Thanks so much for the replies. I yawned loads last night and my jaw clicked each time. Luckily it wasn't painful. Talking of chewing, if I have something chewy and I chew and chew my jaw will start aching really badly. This happened a few weeks ago, it was horrible. I'm so worried now.

Yep, that happens to me too. I still chew gum, but there are softer ones that don't bother me as much. Trident is a good one, but even then I'll have to spit it out before the flavor dies all the way. Those sourdough bread bowls at Panera Bread use to be my favorite, but it was always disappointing to not be able to finish it just because my jaw was too sore. I wonder if there is a tasty gluten-free sourdough?

fairydust81 Rookie

I'm not yet officially diagnosed but it's likely that I have coeliac and DH. I was diagnosed with a form of rheumatoid arthritis earlier this year. When I eat food containing wheat/gluten my skin starts to burn/tingle. Within 12-24 hours the rash covers my arms. A further 24 hours later and I get a bad arthritis flare. The last bloods showed my inflammatory markers were high too.

Very painful and at present I'm waiting for my new meds to kick in (hydroxychloroquine).

Mummyto3 Contributor

The dr today was useless. Not only did she see me 20 mins late, but she said she didn't know what was wrong with me! I went to her about the fatigue, clicking joints and extremely painful lower back. Grrrrr :angry:

julandjo Explorer

The dr today was useless. Not only did she see me 20 mins late, but she said she didn't know what was wrong with me! I went to her about the fatigue, clicking joints and extremely painful lower back. Grrrrr :angry:

Joint pain, specifically in my spine/hips, is one of my first symptoms of a reaction. It's horrific and immediate with gluten; with other "bad for me" foods it can take a few days to set in. It takes anywhere from 3-5 days after an exposure to go away. I'm 32, and I never knew until recently what it felt like to live pain-free. I thought the way I felt was normal - life now is SO much better!

Archived