organicmama

Moidified Elimination Diet While Pregnant?

Rate this topic

Is there any safe version of an elimination diet you can do while pregnant?

I can't answer your question specifically, but I can say that when I was pregnant, I stuck to a gluten-free diet and had a healthy baby boy.

I had to be careful to ensure I was taking enough folic acid (had to make sure the vitamins were gluten-free too!) since most breads etc are fortified with folic acid, so I needed a bit more supplement-wise than the average woman would.

A proper gluten-free diet has all of the nutrients etc. you and the baby need. What else are you trying to eliminate besides gluten?

Dairy, soy, and egg now are what showed up in the test. I'm more concerned about what to do if I don't feel better after removing all four.

I cannot imagine that eliminating gluten, dairy, soy and eggs would have any negative impact on your pregnancy. If you're worried about it, you could always speak with a dietician to make sure you are getting everything you need. Keep in mind the baby will take what he/she needs from your body if you're not ingesting enough of it yourself.

As for feeling better... I didn't feel better until after I gave birth! LOL, constant nausea the whole time. ;) In all seriousness, if you have intolerances to those foods, you'd be best cutting them out of your diet, especially while pregnant.

i am currently 28 weeks and have taken gluten completly out of my diet, I feel great, no problems with nausea. I try to eat as much of each food group as possible and take my vitamins. One thing I have noticed is that since I have become pregnant it is much eaiser for me to gain weight, before I could eat lots, and not gain weight, now I am up 40 pounds being pregnant. Some say your immune system slows down and auto immune dieases sort of go into remission, not sure if this correct, maybe explains why the weight gain. I also have PBC another auto immune diease of the liver and that seems to be going well too with pregnancy. I would say take the proper vitamins and each as much healthy foods you can and stay away from any form of gluten and all will work out.