This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Soybean Oil

organicmama

organicmama Contributor

For those of you that are soy intolerant, do you react to soybean oil? I figured I should exclude it,but now I'm reading that it's not considered an allergen. I assume it's akin to ghee being ok for dairy intolerant folks since it is pure fat with none of the allergy-triggering proteins. Do you find soybean oil to be a trigger?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cahill Collaborator

For those of you that are soy intolerant, do you react to soybean oil? I figured I should exclude it,but now I'm reading that it's not considered an allergen. I assume it's akin to ghee being ok for dairy intolerant folks since it is pure fat with none of the allergy-triggering proteins. Do you find soybean oil to be a trigger?

An intolerance is different than an allergy .

I am intolerant of soy and I react to soybean oil.

organicmama Contributor

Right, but I believe I've read that the protein in an item tends to be the more reactive part. I have some allergies and some intolerances, but soy is an intolerance.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I react to soybean oil but my reaction is different than the reaction I get from other soy products. I get an instant migraine with soybean oil. Other forms of soy make my stomach hurt, give me fatigue, joint pain and joint swelling. I had a PA tell me one time that I should be able to tolerate soybean oil because of it not having the proteins, but everytime I have tested it I get a migraine. I trust my body's reaction over the theory that I "should" be able to tolerate it. You will just have to experiment if you want to find out if you can tolerate soybean oil.

rosetapper23 Explorer

I believe you may be thinking of soy lecithin, not soybean oil. I recently read why people who are intolerant of soybean oil are able to tolerate soy lecithin, and it's the same explanation that you provided for why people should not be intolerant of soybean oil. Personally, I have no problems at all with soy lecithin...but I definitely canNOT tolerate soybean oil, which makes me extremely ill. And, of course, food manufacturers have added it to EVERYTHING!! I want it out of my mayonnaise and out of my tuna! Because of the excess production of soybeans in the U.S. as a result of government subsidies, food manufacturers are using it because it's so inexpensive right now. Of course, it's all about making $$, so now we're stuck with soybean oil in everything.

organicmama Contributor

This all started when I read and noticed that Wendy's doesn't count any items with soybean oil on their list of foods with soy. I thought it was an error at first. Then Pollo Tropical, which caters to special dietary needs, included on their allergen free food list that soybean oil is not counted because foodallergy.org indicates that most people allergic to soy can tolerate the oil.

Foodallergy.org states that the govt has specially excluded soybean oil from consideration as an allergen. It is exempt from needing to be disclosed as an allergen on foods based on medical studies. It goes further to say that some people allergic to soy can tolerate soy lecithin too.

psawyer Proficient

While it applies to packaged foods, not restaurant meals, FALCPA specifically exempts "highly refined oils" from the definition of an allergen. It is not just soybean oil that is exempt.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

Well, I don't eat any soy on purpose. But that's me and my preference. For you to know if you react you do have to try it yourself. But to know if you are reacting you should stop all soy for a month or two and then test soy oil. Although I think it is better to just use a different oil if there is any doubt at all. What's the big attraction to soy oil? Its not good for you and not a good choice for health reasons. Olive oil or corn oil are better.

organicmama Contributor

Oh I don't use it myself. But restaurants and food makers sure do.

annegirl Explorer

My worst reactions are to soy oil. Instant migraine and a feeling of "chemical haze" that lasts for 2 days. It's so bad I have to stay home from work, and I've gotten to be quite adept at working and socializing like nothing is wrong when I feel like my insides are dying. :)

I find it interesting that people feel they can decide that an allergy or intolerance follows a certain set of rules when no one really knows how it all works to begin with. If I react to something I stay away from every part. Good to know that it isn't regulated and labeled. That's bogus....and might answer some of my "mysterious" reactions.

cahill Collaborator

I find it interesting that people feel they can decide that an allergy or intolerance follows a certain set of rules when no one really knows how it all works to begin with. If I react to something I stay away from every part.

Considering an anaphylactic reaction can be life threatening and is (medically )treated differently than a digestive reaction,,it can be important to differentiate between an allergic reaction and an intolerance

Personalty, I consider an anaphylactic reaction a symptom of an allergy .Digestive and neurological reactions I consider to be symptoms of an intolerance ,,but that is just me :)

organicmama Contributor

It bothers me that the government regulations cater to allergy sufferers and not those with food intolerances, as if the intolerant people don't exist. My reactions are long-term only at this point, so I won't know if a restaurant grilling in soybean oil affects me.

I'm even scared of trying out ghee, which everyone swears is fine. I have an allergy and an intolerance to dairy. I won't go into shock from eating it, but I don't want to silently damage myself either.

Archived