fire-chickens

Uncle Bens Whole Grain White Rice Cheddar Broccoli Cheddar

Rate this topic

i know uncle bens white rice is gluten free but the cheddar broccoli whole grain white rice doesn't say if it is on the box.

here's the ingredients.

WHOLE GRAIN WHITE RICE [PARTIALLY MILLED PARBOILED BROWN RICE, RICE BRAN AND GERM]; INULIN (CHICORY ROOT FIBER); GUAR GUM; NIACIN; IRON (FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE); THIAMINe (THIAMINE MONONITRATE); FOLATE (FOLIC ACID); SEASONING BLEND [sALT; MODIFIED CORN STARCH; BROCCOLI*; CHEDDAR CHEESE

Nothing in that ingredient list raises a red flag regarding gluten. Not surprisingly in a product containing Cheddar, there are several dairy ingredients.

We use Uncle Ben's all the time. Not that particular product though. Keep in mind many gluten-free foods will not say gluten-free on the box.

I posted an email to Uncle Ben's late Friday afternoon to ask ifthey dust their rice with cornstarch because I am VERY sensitive to corn. I imagine I will get an answer when they come back to work on Monday. You could send them and email about this, just to be sure.

I finally got an answer from Uncle Ben's. Their boil-in-bag rice and even their instant rice are gluten AND corn free, and processed on a dedicated line. Hooray!

All that for some rice??? :P Just some rice, water, a gluten free bouilllon cube, and any other fresh ingredients you care to add. It only takes 20 minutes. No corn syrup, yeast, corn, dairy, soy :rolleyes:

The maltodextrin might be a problem. It can be made from different things, wheat being one of them.

In the U.S. maltodextrin is virtually never made from wheat and if it is, it must by law be listed. Hence, maltodextrin is absolutely not a concern unless wheat is listed.

richard