Rate this topic

So I was just randomly diagnosed with celiac a month ago and showed absolutely no GI symptoms. I had a lot of headaches and back pain but stomach issues. After being diagnosed and completely going gluten free I started to feel 10x worse and my stomach throbbed. I was just informed I have gastrisis..which doesn't completely make sense because the number one symptom is vomiting and i haven't thrown up since i was 5 years old. After taking medication for gastrisis I'm still feeling forse than I did before being diagnosed with anything. My doctor has been no help at all. I've also been gaining weight. I lost weight when I was diagnosed and I've gained it almost all back but I'm not sure if I can stop gaining weight when I get back to my normal weight. HELP please

Welcome, Kristen!

Do you mean gastritis? I had gastritis (inflammation), which showed up when my GI doctor did the endoscopy/biopsy. It was news to me as I never had vomiting or any pain from it. What kind of meds did your doctor prescribe?

Some of us become much more sensitive to gluten after we have removed it from our diet. Could you be getting cross contamination somewhere? Did you call the maker to be sure that the med you are taking is gluten free? If you had positive blood work it might be a good idea to have the panels run again to see if your numbers are going down.

Oops I meant gastritis. I'm on omeprazole. I'm very careful with not having contaminated foods..I think.

Also I had crazy blood work numbers the first time. I was very strong positive for every celiac test

Oops I meant gastritis. I'm on omeprazole. I'm very careful with not having contaminated foods..I think.

I figured that's what you meant. I think I've read of people here who have been on omerprazole or other acid reducing meds and had too low stomach acid. Hopefully someone else will chime in who has had that problem.

I suffer from gastritis and I pretty much never vomit either. However when I'm having a flare-up my stomach burns and hurts. I also feel a lot of pressure in my ribs. They gave me Carafate which is an ulcer medicine that protects your stomach from acid and allows it to heal. It worked wonderfully!

So I was just randomly diagnosed with celiac a month ago and showed absolutely no GI symptoms. I had a lot of headaches and back pain but stomach issues. After being diagnosed and completely going gluten free I started to feel 10x worse and my stomach throbbed. I was just informed I have gastrisis..which doesn't completely make sense because the number one symptom is vomiting and i haven't thrown up since i was 5 years old. After taking medication for gastrisis I'm still feeling forse than I did before being diagnosed with anything. My doctor has been no help at all. I've also been gaining weight. I lost weight when I was diagnosed and I've gained it almost all back but I'm not sure if I can stop gaining weight when I get back to my normal weight. HELP please

Gastritis is not caused by excess stomach acid. So acid blocking drugs will not 'cure' gastritis. Stomach pain can be caused by an infection from the H. Pylori bacteria, which can cause ulcers. Unless you have ulcers, your stomach can tolerate high amounts of stomach acid. However, unless your doc tested you for H. Pylori and your test was positive, you probably don't have ulcers. Nevertheless, gluten intolerance and other delayed reaction allergies can cause stomach issues, because allergic reactions in the intestine prevent proper digestion of food. You can feel overly full with very little food and even get stomach aches. Moreover, insufficient stomach acid, rather than excess stomach acid, can also cause stomach pain.

Before I was diagnosed with celiac disease, I often refluxed food and even threw up easily. However, I never refluxed acid. Nevertheless, a doctor diagnosed gastritis and put me on acid blocking drugs. Years later, I was diagnosed with celiac disease, abstained from gluten and still got stomach pain. A stool test diagnosed H. Pylori bacteria. However a Heidelberg capsule test showed that I had impaired stomach acid production (too little acid). So I was given mastic gum and L-glutamine to treat the H. Pylori and heal my stomach. Then I began taking supplemental Betaine Hydrochloride to increase my stomach acid. Now I rarely feel overly full after eating and almost never reflux (unless I eat foods which relax the lower esophageal valve, like peppermint, caffeine or chocolate). If I eat a large meal and don't take enough supplemental HCl, I can get stomach discomfort. However, as long as I get enough supplemental acid, I feel fine.