shadowicewolf

Gallbladder Woes

Rate this topic

So apperently... we found out what was wrong with me (despite the celiac diagnosis). My gallbladder is only working at 5% of what it should be. This was found after i had the blood test to check it (normal), the ultrasound for it (normal), and was found with the HIDA scan (a hellish scan that makes you lay still for a hour and a half). My GI doctor wants it out, however since i am not "acute" and only "chronic" i cannot get in sooner to have it done (i consult on the 11th and go back to school on the 18th <.<). Bahumbug.

My mom and i were thinking about it. Between getting a really bad case of the flu, having an allergic reaction to an antibiotic, and ultimently this, we think thats what triggered it.

Yay, for finding out whats been causing my hellish indigestion and ibs and side pain (i've been very very careful with what i eat so i know its not gluten related).

So has this happened to you guys before?

Yup. It happened to me after being gluten free for about 6 years. Get the gallbladder out and you will feel so much better.

A lot of people have gallbladder issues before and after celiac diagnosis. I developed gallbladder issues after I was gluten free. Mine is functioning slightly above the threshold of appx. 35% so I wasn't a surgical canidate. It bothers me once in awhile if I consume to much fat, but otherwise I am fine right now with it. Glad you found out what was bothering you and feel better soon!

I had my gallbladder out 5 and half years ago. It was very frustrating because it hurt for years and the doctors kept ordering ultrasounds and saying it was fine, no gallstones. Finally I switched doctors and the first thing he ordered after seeing no stones on the ultrasound was a HIDA scan and sure enough it wasn't functioning! I only wish someone had been smart enough to have suggested that before I underwent years of pain and indigestion!

Same here! I had pain for years on my side and kept getting ultrasounds which showed no gallstones. Finally I went to another doctor in so much pain and he asked if I ever had a Hidascan which of course none of the doctors before mentioned. I had the Hidascan in 09 and my gallbladder was only functioning at 13%. I had it out in Oct of that year and I don't miss it one bit. I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease the next year and based on the damage to my villi my doctor suspects I've had it for 10-15 years. It's amazing how many of us have had GB problems or have had to have them out.

I had my gallbladder out a few months ago. I had a lot of stones and during my last pregnancy I had some very severe attacks. They can't remove it during pregnancy without significant risks so I just dealt with it. After the pregnancy the attacks stopped but I had it out on my OB's recommendation because I plan to have another child someday. I have no idea what percent it was working or anything like that. The only testing I had done was the u/s which showed significant inflammation and huge number of stones. The recovery has been very easy, the first 2 days were hard, but after that I felt back to normal quickly. The only side effect is if I eat too much fat I sometimes get the big D and have to run to the bathroom. After dealing with undiagnosed celiac for years I'm pretty much already used to that.

I had mine out in emergency surgery about 4 years ago. It "failed" in the "on" positon--that is it over-filled(and attempted to continue filling)but would not empty. I had no stones and never had an issue with it prior to it failing. I had an 8 hour ultrasound to determine that it was broken and needed to come out.

It's an easy surgery. Even though mine was emergency I was able to have it done laparoscopicly and was back to work in three days. I had it out on a Friday and went to work the following Monday. The doctor suggested I take a week off of work, but I didn't need to. Admittedly, I was quite sore the first couple of days back.

I can only tolerate fried and spicy foods in moderation. I don't eat too many fried foods, so no biggie there but I dearly love my spicy foods. This weekend I ate a really, really hot pepper and immediately threw it up. It was so good going down, but my body immediately revolted <sigh>.