love2travel

Rejoice With Me! I Have Good News...

Rate this topic

My doctor's office just called and my celiac panel is now NEGATIVE! The number is 3.8 and anything under 7.0 is negative. Initially it was 71 which is off the charts positive.

So, just to encourage those who are new - it can be done. I have been strictly off gluten for nearly six months - had this bloodwork done at five to see where I am at. I am not surprised at all because I have worked SO very hard but still. Happy day! :D

• Upvote 2

Yeay!!! What a great result. Well Done!!

• Upvote 1

That is wonderful news!! And as one who doesn't react severely to gluten, your perseverance has really taken some strength and it has really been amazing! The way you accepted the diagnosis and dove right in to the positive side of gluten free cooking and baking has been inspiring to me. I loved how you wrote that your passion was baking and you weren't about to give that up to Celiac Disease. I went through a depression about having loved to bake all my life. I felt as if I had been poisoning myself and my son with all my inspiration for baking when WHEAT was what was making us sick all those years. I shuddered to think of going to the kitchen to bake. I was really rather stuck. But when you showed up on the scene here with all of your enthusiasm, I couldn't help but absorb some of it. And indeed, I did learn to bake some chocolate chip cookies as I stepped back into the kitchen trying to make it my own once again. Your work in being totally gluten free and making your numbers go down to negative is very impressive, but I wanted to share with you that your "work" in being such a positive enthusiastic influence in that recipe and food department has been an inspiration and bumped me up out of my depression about wheat and poisoning people into making my kitchen my own again. Thank you very much and congratulations to you on your success!

• Upvote 1

yay! i am happy for you! it is also encouraging for those of us who are still struggling and trying to figure out what we need to do to feel better.

• Upvote 1

Yeay!!! What a great result. Well Done!!

Thanks so much! :D

• Upvote 1

That is wonderful news!! And as one who doesn't react severely to gluten, your perseverance has really taken some strength and it has really been amazing! The way you accepted the diagnosis and dove right in to the positive side of gluten free cooking and baking has been inspiring to me. I loved how you wrote that your passion was baking and you weren't about to give that up to Celiac Disease. I went through a depression about having loved to bake all my life. I felt as if I had been poisoning myself and my son with all my inspiration for baking when WHEAT was what was making us sick all those years. I shuddered to think of going to the kitchen to bake. I was really rather stuck. But when you showed up on the scene here with all of your enthusiasm, I couldn't help but absorb some of it. And indeed, I did learn to bake some chocolate chip cookies as I stepped back into the kitchen trying to make it my own once again. Your work in being totally gluten free and making your numbers go down to negative is very impressive, but I wanted to share with you that your "work" in being such a positive enthusiastic influence in that recipe and food department has been an inspiration and bumped me up out of my depression about wheat and poisoning people into making my kitchen my own again. Thank you very much and congratulations to you on your success!

Do you have any idea how much your words mean to me? This is so unbelievably kind and caring of you. It makes me SO happy to have inspired someone to cook and bake! What you said indeed brought tears of gladness to my eyes. So, I guess my passion for food shows. :P This is one of the reasons I love to teach cooking and baking classes. People who walk into the room detesting lamb, for example, leave feeling passionate about it. They can conquer fears or things that seem intimidating. That is what counts. Not just the food but encouraging people to cook and bake. I think it is an important skill. We are responsible for our own health so why not make it exciting and inspiring? Our kitchens should be safe havens where we can also enjoy creating fantastic food for ourselves and those we love. WE CAN ALL DO THIS!

Thanks again for your remarks. Wow.

• Upvote 1

Congratulations...well done!

I think it would be especially hard for you to be vigilant since you don't get digestive symptoms from gluten? You're obviously doing it right.

I love that you share your passion for cooking/baking here. I've just ordered a stand mixer..my first. I may have questions for you once I get into more baking. :D

• Upvote 1

Congratulations...well done!

I think it would be especially hard for you to be vigilant since you don't get digestive symptoms from gluten? You're obviously doing it right.

I love that you share your passion for cooking/baking here. I've just ordered a stand mixer..my first. I may have questions for you once I get into more baking. :D

Thank you so much! It has been very difficult because I have been wondering all along whether I have had any accidental glutening by CC or whatever. Obviously not! So, I will continue doing what I have been doing. Thanks for the feedback re sharing my passions here. I know it may seem OTT or extreme sometimes but when you love something so much you want to share it with others you care about. :)

How exciting about your mixer! Please tell us the moment it arrives. :D I already look forward to baking with you! :lol:

• Upvote 1

I ordered a KitchenAid Artisan. They had a rebate available. ;)

I'm thinking one of the first things I'm going to want to try is a pizza crust? Haven't had a pizza in ages!

• Upvote 1

I'm thinking one of the first things I'm going to want to try is a pizza crust? Haven't had a pizza in ages!

That is wonderful! Pizza crust is an excellent first thing to try. I posted two of my favourite recipes on here (likely under the Recipe section). One is for a thinner crisp crust and the other on is for soft crust. We've also been grilling pizza lately for the lovely charred flavour. Sounds as though there are some good pizza crust mixes available in the US, too.

Congratulations! You are sure to love your new KA. Welcome to the KA Club! :D

• Upvote 1

Yaaay!!! Now to see if all of us can come up with that *perfect* loaf of bread!!! B)

• Upvote 1

Hey! I remember when you showed up, you said you thought you couldn't do this. Hah !

Congratulations!

• Upvote 1

Hey! I remember when you showed up, you said you thought you couldn't do this. Hah !

Congratulations!

You're right - I did! My attitude really was poor, that is for sure. It took me about two months to get my head wrapped around the whole thing. It is funny looking back, wondering if I was going to be one of those people who could sincerely say it does get easier and I am! It does! :D

LOL Sylvia! You have a better chance of making the perfect bread. I don't have any experience with the various flours.

I was never much of a baker because everything has to be weighed or measured and have the correct ratios, etc. I'm better at cooking where I can just sprinkle a bit this or add a pinch of that..and it all works out. :rolleyes:

This is wonderful to read! You are doing amazing - thanks for sharing the good news :)

Thank you for being happy with me! It is remarkable that so much can be done in a relatively short timeframe. Hopefully this is an encouragement to others to keep keeping on.

LOL Sylvia! You have a better chance of making the perfect bread. I don't have any experience with the various flours.

I was never much of a baker because everything has to be weighed or measured and have the correct ratios, etc. I'm better at cooking where I can just sprinkle a bit this or add a pinch of that..and it all works out. :rolleyes:

Pffffft! I wouldn't go that far. :lol: I'm still very much in the learning process even though I have a few bricks to my credit. :ph34r: Since my kids are grown I wasn't much of a baker for years until I was diagnosed. Heck, I could buy a single piece of cake and not have to deal with a whole cake getting stale. And a loaf of bread lasted for a long while.

You cook much the same as I do...unless I'm trying something new or very different, I rarely follow a recipe. Except for gluten-free bread (I still rarely bake much else) although tomorrow I am going to make lemon bars for a get together with friends on Mon.

Well..I've seen that many others have a few "bricks" from their baking exercises. LOL

I guess we will be able to answer the question.."how many bricks does it take to "build" a good loaf of bread"? :D

I never ate a lot of bread either. One loaf of Udi bread lasted me 6 weeks..kept in the freezer of course. ;) The last of it was used to make croutons. I never thought I would crave them! LOL