This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Creamy Dressing?

Hungrylady

Hungrylady Rookie

I have adopted well to this whole gluten-free eating except cheese. So sad.

Anyway, I can't have gluten,dairy,casien,shellfish,nuts(tree or peanuts), or eggs. I am looking for a homemade salad dressing that's creamy. I know you can use nuts but I can't have them. So....if I had oil, spices, vinegar, and S&P...that's great but I am so craving creamy. I need to make most of my own food being super sensitive to premade stuff.

Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

You have a few choices. A common one is tofu, though there is quite a controversy about soy. Another choice is avocado, which will give you a very scrumptious and creamy consistency. Pureed white beans can make a very creamy consistency too. Yet another is protein powder, such as pea, rice, or hemp protein. Coconut cream may also work, though the flavor may be different than what you're looking for.

Takala Enthusiast

I wonder if mashed potato would work?

Or something like Vance's dairy - free, which is the same idea, flavored potato starch milk substitute.

If you add cumin or tumeric type pinches of spices to coconut milk, you can get a lot of different sauce flavors.

Did a search - oh, you have GOT to see this recipe, this is what you are looking for:

(Gluten free) Corn free, Egg Free, Soy Free Mayonnaise

Open Original Shared Link

made in a blender, has olive oil, water, lemon juice, vinegar (could substitute apple cider for the wine vinegar), rice flour or coconut flour, arrowroot, gum, agave, mustard, and salt

Once you have "mayonnaise," you can thin it with more olive oil and vinegar and other coconut milk if necessary, to get the right consistency, or add things to it like vegetable purees such as mashed avocado or tomato puree to flavor it.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

What about Tahini? Are sesame seeds OK for you? It's a creamy consistency...just pureed sesame seeds. Yum

Hey Takala! That mayo recipe looks great!

Hungrylady Rookie

OMG! You guys rock! Thank you, I went from bleak to siked. I love this whole site, makes me less alone and give tons of hope for everything. I am going food shopping now so I wil have to check it all out. I did try avacado once but it might have been my recipe.

Thanks again!

Nor-TX Enthusiast

I buy the Cedars gluten free, dairy free, parve hummus with tahini. You can add it to anything to make a creamy dressing. Just dipping glutino pretzels in it makes a fine treat.

Marilyn R Community Regular

Easy and pure: squeeze a lime (or lemon, but limes are seedless and easier to deal with) into a bowl. Add twice as much oil of your choice (olive, canola, avacado, walnut all work well) Add 1 - 1 1/2 T. grainy pure mustard & s&p to taste. Whisk for 2-3 minutes with a wire wisk.

This goes great over mixed greens (or simply chopped romaine), protein of choice (like chopped left over chicken breast or cooked fish), 1/2 sliced pared apple, shreded carrot, copped hearts of palm, etc, whatever you love, or have left over. I usually always top my salads with gluten-free sunflower seeds and/or dried cherries or cranberries.

It also works for a meat marinade, and is exceptionally good when you add rosemary.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SUZIN Newbie

This is the recipe I use for Mayo...... 1/2 C oil, 1/2 C water, 1 Tab. vinegar, 1 Tab Lemon juice, 1/4 tsp dry mustard, 1/2 tsp sugar, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. sweet rice flour, 1/2 tsp Xanthan, put all in blender and blend till creamy, probably a couple minutes....it will thicken when you put it in the frig...if you want it thinner, just add some water......if you want to season it.... For Ranch I use.... 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp dry parsley flakes 1/2 tsp dry dill, and a dash of cayenne....I put this in at first before I blend the mayo....the mayo recipe is the basic recipe....and you can season it as you like....

Hungrylady Rookie

I finally got power back, write a whole post and I lost it. Grr. I have been trying all the wonderful recipes and a big thank you. My salad is now dressed very nicely! I love all the mayo recipes I never thought I'd have it again.

While trying these recipes I discovered that if you add Josephs garlic lovers hummus with a spoonful of tomato paste and a slash of water then add it to rice pasta it's awesome :)

I was surprised to see mustard! I have been going without it all this time. Must have said natural flavorings on it. I will try some. I love honey mustard so I am really happy now!

I made this dressing that is super yummy: Olive oil, avacado, red vinegar, lemon juice, wildflower honey, s&p, plus garlic. The honey just makes it!

Thanks again :)

Ginsou Explorer

Creamy Herb Dressing

1 cup rice milk

1 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons onion powder

1 teaspoon xanthan gum

1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

1 1/2 teaspoons honey

1/2 cup oil

1/2 teaspoon parsley flakes

1/8 teaspoon dill weed

1/16 teaspoon sweet basil

2 Tablespoons lemon juice

In your blender, blend rice milk, salt,onion powder, xanthan gum, garlic powder, and honey. With the blender still running, very slowly dribble the oil into the jar (this thickenens the liquid). Pour the contents of the jar into a small bowl or storage jar with a lid. Add the parsley, dill weed, sweet basil and lemon juice and fold in by hand with a spoon. Keep in the refrigerator.

Hungrylady Rookie

Rice milk is a new one for me. I am afraid to try it, I tried the coconut milk and wasted the entire half gallon, couldn't take the taste. I love love love almond milk but can't have it anymore. Soy milk is terrible to me, should I try rice milk?

organicmama Contributor

If you want to do a mayonnaise based dressing and don't want to make the mayo, you can get Earth's Balance Mindful Mayo or Follow Your Heart Vegenaise. Both are gluten, egg, and dairy free. Some varieties are even soy free.

RiceGuy Collaborator

Rice milk is a new one for me. I am afraid to try it, I tried the coconut milk and wasted the entire half gallon, couldn't take the taste. I love love love almond milk but can't have it anymore. Soy milk is terrible to me, should I try rice milk?

Not all coconut milks are the same. If you like the taste of coconut, then the milk should be fine if you get a good quality product (and it hasn't expired of course).

As for rice milk, do be sure to avoid Rice Dream, since it contains gluten contrary to the company's claims.

Archived