Nen

White Blood Count

Rate this topic

I am just wondering, if you have Celiac disease, would your white cell count be off or would there be no effect on it?

I have read that the white count can be elevated due to the auto-immune system trying to fight what it thinks is an infection...when it is really reacting to gluten... I have also read that the white count can be low due to the malnutrition that comes from long term undiagnosed Celiac...your body can't produce enough white cells to keep you protected. My white count was always elevated...slightly...for years before diagnosis...it has stabilized since. They were constantly putting me on antibiotics for an infection they could not locate. I don't have that problem anymore. I will try to find the articles where I read that...and share them with you.

I am just wondering, if you have Celiac disease, would your white cell count be off or would there be no effect on it?

Is your white blood count low or high? That makes a difference.

interesting! I, too, have always had elevated white blood cells and the doctor seemed to not be able to explain it. I also have high serrum globbin, is this at all related?

I don't know if that is related.

At my 6 month blood tests...the Dr. commented that there seemed to be a lot of "very young red blood cells" he raised his eyebrows and said hmm...not sure what to make of that. I decided not to worry and that my body was making up for lost time and replenishing the red blood cells. It was interesting...I told that to the Dr. and he didn't know if that would be it or not...of course he didn't...he insisted I had herpes on my face...but it was DH....and I found it here. So I don't expect too much explanation from Dr.'s.

I had a low white count back in January, and they re-tested in June and I was okay, so might have just been a one time thing.