alexsami

Endoscopy Next Week....scared

Rate this topic

OK, im having this next week....what to expect...how bad is it...i have been gluten free for a month...but doc said it would still show up.....will be eating gluten for the next week however :(

Don't worry, it's not bad at all. I was really freaked out before mine but it was over before I knew it.

In which country are you? You will get the option of getting it done with or without sedation..Take it!! I have friends who said no to sedation and reported it wasn't very pleasant. I did and the last thing I remember was going into theatre and being asked to lie on my side. A (very cute) doctor then put a small needle into my hand to give me sedation and then I was out..

The next thing I remember was when I woke up in the recovery area of the hospital and my dad was beside me. I was pretty drosey as apparently I kept repeating myself and telling him it looked as though he had 4 eyes but other than that it was fine.

You will be fine and it will be done before you know it! I hope you get the results you're looking for!

Laura

It's not a hard procedure at all. You do have a risk of having a false negative so do go back on the diet after it is done. This is especially the case if you had positive blood work. Positive bloodwork trumps negative biopsy. If going back on gluten until the test is done makes you very ill do let your doctor know right away.

Hmmm...I agree that being back on gluten for such a short time could potentially result in false negatives. Remember to request 8-11 biopsies - NOT just 3 or 5. Only 40% of biopsies in the US and Canada are done CORRECTLY because of too few biopsies.

The scope itself is no problem. I worried for nothing. I had both the gastroscopy and colonoscopy done at the same time and was given memory-erasing drugs. It is easier than going to the dentist for many! :D