bny06

Chromogranin A Lab Test

Rate this topic

I am awaiting my biopsy results to confirm celiac, they didn't see any evidence of crohns on my colonoscopy/endoscopy, ct scan, etc.. however today I got lab results for an elevated chromogranin A.. I am not familiar with this test, but it appears it can be elevated in crohns and celiac, and some other things that are kinda "scarey" cancers and such.. I'm 30 years old, so I am hoping its just related to the bowel issues and the likely celiac, however I was just curious if anyone else ever tested for this.. It was my GI dr that ordered the test. THanks!

I have never had this test done, to my knowledge, but I did look it up. Try not to be too worried but do follow up on this with your doctor. Wishing you the best and let us know what the doctor has to say and how you are doing.

Thanks for the reply! I'll talk to him about it at my follow up appointment (hoping to at least have biopsy results on wednesday). As I read more online about it (what did we do before the day of internet surfing??) it looks like a false positive is common when receiving proton pump inhibitors.. I was getting IV protonix for 24 hours when they drew the lab.. soooo I'm now thinking that was the cause.. but i'll be sure and have them recheck to make sure it is staying the same or going down- but not up, or i'll have to worry! Thanks again!