saintmaybe

Anthropologic Epidemiology

Rate this topic

Has anyone done any research on the rate of Celiac diagnosis in non-Western populations, or populations outside of the Levant (the region in the Middle East where wheat agriculture developed, also known as the bread basket)? Specifically, I'm wondering about Amerindian populations, Asians, Pacific Islanders, and native Africans. Any papers you'd recommend?

Have rates of celiac been increasing in these populations, or can we predict that they WOULD increase? What about comparisons to other so-called "Western" disease rates like depression, autism, and so forth?

Has anyone done any research on the rate of Celiac diagnosis in non-Western populations, or populations outside of the Levant (the region in the Middle East where wheat agriculture developed, also known as the bread basket)? Specifically, I'm wondering about Amerindian populations, Asians, Pacific Islanders, and native Africans. Any papers you'd recommend

Have rates of celiac been increasing in these populations, or can we predict that they WOULD increase? What about comparisons to other so-called "Western" disease rates like depression, autism, and so forth?

Very good question. There's certainly a lot of info out there about Native American populations and diabetes. Wonder if that might be a place to start?

I think overall, Celiac is increasing everywhere because of the increase in GMO wheat. It's just more gluteny now than Nature intended.

I haven't had a chance to buy the book "Wheat Belly" yet, but maybe there's info in that book about some studies? The author has a blog as well http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/

Plus, there's a book called "The Gluten Connection" that IIRC had mention of some studies in it. http://www.glutenconnection.com/uof/glutenconnection/