This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Son's Test Results

austinmeg3

austinmeg3 Newbie

I posted our story about 2-3 weeks ago. Long story short, my 4-year-old son has had BM issues from the start; chronic diarrhea into chronic constipation, as well as a distended belly, eczema, mood swings and irritablity, and trouble sleeping. I forgot to mention in the first post that his pre-k teacher noticed he has motor strength weakness as well. Now, I have noticed in the last week that his eyes have been red, watery, and itchy, as in seasonal allergy symptoms, which he has never had up to this point.

I just received his test results in the mail that I requested. I am unsure how to read them, but they all seem to be negative. I will list them so I can get some assistance on what I am really looking at:

Antigliadin ABS, IGA ABN RESULT: 0.2 NRML RANGE: 0.0-10.0 U/mL

Antigliadin ABS, IGG ABN RESULT: 0.5 NRML RANGE: 0.0-10.0 U/mL

T-Transglutaminase IGA ABN RESULT: 1 NRML RANGE: 0-3 U/mL

States: Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) has been identified as the endomysial antigen. Studies have demonstrated that endomysial IgA antibodies have over 99% specificity for gluten sensitive enteropathy.

T-Transglutaminase IGG ABN RESULT: 1 NRML RANGE: 0-5 U/mL

ENDOMYSIAL ANTIBODY IGA ABN RESULT: NEG NRML RANGE: NEG

IMMUNOGLOBULIN A L ABN RESULT: 16 NRMAL RANGE: 20-100 mg/dL

Please feel free to share your thoughts on what I am looking at. All comments are welcome!

Thank You!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

The Horticulturalist Apprentice

I posted our story about 2-3 weeks ago. Long story short, my 4-year-old son has had BM issues from the start; chronic diarrhea into chronic constipation, as well as a distended belly, eczema, mood swings and irritablity, and trouble sleeping. I forgot to mention in the first post that his pre-k teacher noticed he has motor strength weakness as well. Now, I have noticed in the last week that his eyes have been red, watery, and itchy, as in seasonal allergy symptoms, which he has never had up to this point.

I just received his test results in the mail that I requested. I am unsure how to read them, but they all seem to be negative. I will list them so I can get some assistance on what I am really looking at:

States: Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) has been identified as the endomysial antigen. Studies have demonstrated that endomysial IgA antibodies have over 99% specificity for gluten sensitive enteropathy.

Please feel free to share your thoughts on what I am looking at. All comments are welcome!

Thank You!

If I'm reading this correctly, it looks like he may be IGA deficient, the last test listed there looks like the normal range is 20 - 100 and his result is 16, am I reading that correctly?

Low IGA is not uncommon in celiacs, it would render the other tests potentially as false negatives.

Skylark Collaborator

He is IgA deficient and NOT celiac by bloodwork. They did the IgG versions of TTG and anti-gliadin, which are the correct tests for IgA deficient folks, and both were negative. That doesn't rule out false negative tests and gluten intolerance.

nora-n Rookie

I would suggest maybe the new and more sensitive deaminated gliadin IgG test.

Celiac tests are known to be not so sensitive in early celiac.

The Horticulturalist Apprentice

Thank You!

Just a thought, but is it possible that the eczema could be dermatitis herpeteformis?

austinmeg3 Newbie

Just a thought, but is it possible that the eczema could be dermatitis herpeteformis?

I've looked into the derm. herpeteformis and it is definitely eczema. It is a little bumpy and rashy, sometimes slightly itchy, but nothing that severe. He gets it on the backs of his arms and top of his thighs, same exact areas as my husband. I noticed it on my son's feet when he was an infant, but he doesn't have it on his feet anymore. It's not severe enough that we have to put a special cream on him.

nora-n Rookie

normal atopic eczema typically is inside the elbows etc, whereas DH typically is on the outsides.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived