peeptoad

Low Blood Sugar And Gluten

Rate this topic

When I started my gluten challenge last week I noticed, among other things, that I was extremely hungry all the time and I also felt mildly nauseated (periodically, not constantly). I was actually hungry (stomach growling, lightheaded) only a couple of hours after eating a lot of the time. I've experienced both of these things before on a normal diet containing gluten, but both of them went away when I was gluten-free.

Not sure if this is related to blood suagr issues that could be caused by gluten or not?

Ive had nausea and dizziness, hungry feeling, also.

I also had this pre-gluten-free, started when they out me on corticosteroids for my DH.

I think it's part of learning what to eat (proper balance of carbs, proteins, sugars) and when to eat it (take snacks with you).

Had a resurgence in nausea after adding iron supplements, but that's par for the course and has improved greatly.

Overall, I feel better...but still get incredibly hungry sometimes - even after eating a full sized balanced gluten-free meal. I assume it's because my body is actually absorbing the food or something like that.

It's a process, evidently.

Hm, well I'm trying to figure out if it's a carb-thing or a gluten-thing specifically... I didn't have the extreme hunger when I was gluten-free, but I had it before going gluten-free and during my gluten challenge.

I'm also on iron supplements for iron deficiency, but I don't think it's those because I've been on them for over 2 years now with no problems.

When I started my gluten challenge last week I noticed, among other things, that I was extremely hungry all the time and I also felt mildly nauseated (periodically, not constantly). I was actually hungry (stomach growling, lightheaded) only a couple of hours after eating a lot of the time. I've experienced both of these things before on a normal diet containing gluten, but both of them went away when I was gluten-free.

Not sure if this is related to blood suagr issues that could be caused by gluten or not?

For me those things are associated with being glutened. Don't know if that is the case for you but if it went away gluten free and started again on the challenge it seems it might be. Your body may be signaling that your hungry more often because the gluten is affecting your bodies ability to absorb nutrients.

For me those things are associated with being glutened. Don't know if that is the case for you but if it went away gluten free and started again on the challenge it seems it might be. Your body may be signaling that your hungry more often because the gluten is affecting your bodies ability to absorb nutrients.

That makes sense. That may also be why my serum ferritin refuses to budge even after 2 years on iron supplements (my doctor did request an occult blood test though).

Wow, I have had the same exact reactions and have been on the diet for a week also.

Yeah. I've got to revisit this one...

I think I got glutened last Monday (from construction materials, evidently)....

I thought I got away with a bit of a rash.... but OH NO I DIDN'T.

I started getting hypoglycemic 36 hours later. BAD. Today is the first day I haven't had to to eat 2 breakfasts and 2 lunches two hours apart. Evidently, that's a gluten sign for me. Go figure.... If it isn't gluten its something else I don't want contact with.

I also keep dropping things... it's getting better. Had muscle and joint aches for a few days. Still have a few muscle aches after exercising. And I'm still tired.

Wow, I have had the same exact reactions and have been on the diet for a week also.

I'm back gluten-free now (for the past week), and the constant hungry feeling is gone. I had a bout of dizziness, shortness of breath last Friday, but it was due to something else (iron deficiency combined with anxiety over something completely unrelated). ;)

I think when I eat gluten my transit time speeds up dramatically, because I noticed that I was going to the bathroom a lot more often as well (a common, annoying feature of my "IBS"), which was probably causing the constant hunger.