chamutti

Is It Celiac Or Something Else?

Rate this topic

I have recently been having Celiac-like symptoms - nausea, vomiting, upset stomach/ache, headaches, muscle aches, foggy head, etc... I searched all over the internet to see what might be wrong. I came up with the possibility of Lupus, Lyme disease, Candida and Celiac disease. As I read through the threads I didn't find any one person that lined up with my symptoms, there was usually something that they were experiencing that I didn't. I even noticed several threads that reference the other diseases as possibilities, as all these ailments have similar symptoms and each person is affected differently.

The one thing I didn't see is what it turns out (I'm pretty sure) is affecting me. Withdrawals. It suddenly hit me that in both cases where I had serious episodes I had stopped taking the sleeping pills I was using! I had been taking Diphenhydramine HCL and/or something very similar (sorry, don't have the package any longer, both over the counter) pretty mild stuff and I couldn't find much on the internet regarding withdrawals. I had been taking anywhere from 50-200 mg at night for the better part of 5 months. I talked to my friend - he's a P.A. (Physicians assistant) and very experienced and he said what I was experiencing could absolutely be withdrawal symptoms.

I just wanted to add this to the conversation in case anyone else needs to look at this as a possible cause of their illness. I took one pill last night as I've decided to ween myself off the stuff slowly and I feel good for the first time in over a week. If it turns out this isn't it I'll add to this thread, if you don't hear from me again then you can assume this was it.

Best of luck.

If you have celiac type symptoms then it would be a good idea to get a celiac panel done. Don't go gluten free until you are tested. It wouldn't hurt to tell your doctor what is going on so he can evaluate you.