caffadeus

Gluten "attack" Without Eating Gluten?

Rate this topic

I've been eating the same foods, day in day out, for about a month now since I've been gluten free. Everything that I eat has passed the test of not giving me any symptoms. So for fear of being "glutened", I eat the same thing everyday. In doing this, I've gotten better everyday for the month that I've been gluten free. Since my start date of September 13th, I have more energy, decrease in muscle spasms, mental ability started to come back, eyesight and concentration returned, backaches and headaches gone.

Until yesterday.

I ate the SAME thing I always eat, but for some reason, I had an attack that I use to have in my pre-gluten days. The "episode" or "attack" included feeling dizzy, inability to find the words I'm looking for, backache, focus and concentration lost, muscle spasms fiercely returned, and most of all I became EXTREMELY fatigued. The symptoms happened immediately after I went to the bathroom (a number 2). They continued through the night and I still feel them today.

Does anyone know what could've possibly happened? Has anyone else experienced symptoms after going gluten free, but did not recently eat any gluten?

I've been eating the same foods, day in day out, for about a month now since I've been gluten free. Everything that I eat has passed the test of not giving me any symptoms. So for fear of being "glutened", I eat the same thing everyday. In doing this, I've gotten better everyday for the month that I've been gluten free. Since my start date of September 13th, I have more energy, decrease in muscle spasms, mental ability started to come back, eyesight and concentration returned, backaches and headaches gone.

Until yesterday.

I ate the SAME thing I always eat, but for some reason, I had an attack that I use to have in my pre-gluten days. The "episode" or "attack" included feeling dizzy, inability to find the words I'm looking for, backache, focus and concentration lost, muscle spasms fiercely returned, and most of all I became EXTREMELY fatigued. The symptoms happened immediately after I went to the bathroom (a number 2). They continued through the night and I still feel them today.

Does anyone know what could've possibly happened? Has anyone else experienced symptoms after going gluten free, but did not recently eat any gluten?

Yes...many of us have problems with secondary food intolerances. The protein in soy, dairy, and corn can commonly be a problem. Six weeks after going gluten-free I had to cut out soy because I started reacting to it in the same way I did with gluten. Then dairy. Shortly after, I couldn't tolerate corn.

I'm tolerating dairy again now. Those are the most common problem foods, but it could be something else too. I finally went for allergy testing and it ended up that I was allergic to pecans, which was an ingredient in a gluten-free/SF/DF bar I was eating occasionally. The first year or so is a challenge!

Good luck, hope you figure it out and feel better soon!

About 3-4 weeks gluten-free I found I was reacting to soy. I guess a lot of us find out we have secondary intollerances once the gluten gets out of our systems?

Also consider..you may have been "glutened" by touching something a gluten eater touched and it got into your system? Touching a shopping cart, handling money, door handle, ATM buttons, the list goes on and on. So many people go through their daily routines munching away as they do things, that it's easy to get "dosed".

I hope you feel better fast!