MyMississippi

Can I Use Sour Cream Instead ?

Rate this topic

I read somewhere online that sour cream could be substituted for any recipe calling for cream of mushroom soup --- Who has tried it, and does it work ?

I know I could use progresso cream of mushroom soup- but it is not the same in amt. and consistency as the Condensed soup. I suppose I could use half the Progresso and add some sour cream to that ?????

Thanks for your help ---

I read somewhere online that sour cream could be substituted for any recipe calling for cream of mushroom soup --- Who has tried it, and does it work ?

I know I could use progresso cream of mushroom soup- but it is not the same in amt. and consistency as the Condensed soup. I suppose I could use half the Progresso and add some sour cream to that ?????

Thanks for your help ---

I would use the 1/2 Progresso and 1/2 sour cream so you get the mushroom soup flavor as well as the creaminess.

Pacific makes a condensed cream of chicken or celery. If either of those would work?

Pacific makes a condensed cream of chicken or celery. If either of those would work?

So funny, I came back to suggest that! I've seen them and have been meaning to try....

Just looked on Pacific's website. They have a mushroom,too.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions --- I did a search, and my grocery store ( Publix ) should have the Pacific brand soup in stock. That would be great if they do. Finally ! ! ! Someone stepped up to the plate, and made those gluten-free condensed soups ! You would think Campbell Soups would want in on that market ----

It definitely depends on the recipe and the type of sour cream you use (i.e. full fat, low or no fat). The variations make huge differences in recipes. And how is it to be cooked? Reduced? Baked? The flavour is also changed. For example, if it is boiled it can become very runny.

I personally never, ever use condensed soups (hate 'em) so always use alternatives. Creme fraiche can be good, too, and easy to make at home. Again, it certainly depends in what way/recipe.

Notice also that the Pacific cream of mushroom soup has garlic in it, which I wasn't expecting. It wasn't bad, but not what I was used to. If the recipe is something where the taste of the sour cream or yogurt (plain yogurt could also work - not vanilla!) could show through and throw off the taste of the dish, you're probably better off making a thick white sauce from a roux of butter and cornstarch or gluten-free flour.