cameron

Cross Contamination Advice

Rate this topic

Hi, I am a new celiac and new to this site for the most part.

I have been off gluten for about 4 months now and just starting to feel some of the effects from it. My stomach has been really really bad, but I am thinking dairy may be the culprit now and have been off that for 4 days, and starting to feel a difference. I will keep monitoring that for a little while longer. Was debating if it was the starches, dairy, or just my stomach in shock from its new diet. I have lost the knot paint under my sternum, which I can say had to be caused by gluten, cause that pain has not come back in alomst 4 months.

Ok, so on to my real question.

Can anyone give me some advice on best practices to keep my kitchen gluten-free as far as cross contamination goes?

I have my InLaws living with my wife and I, they are Korean, so it is very difficult to explain to them in detail how to practice safe gluten-free cooking in our home. I have read things that say get all new pots and pans, cutting board, utensils, kinves, etc... just for myself. They also use the same sponge to clean all of our plates too.

I am afraid that cross contamination is almost inevidible unless I make some changes. I just do not know what are extremem measures and what is necessary immediately to avoid cc from here on out. Nobody else is on gluten-free diet, although I do cook for them a few nights a week, and they are gluten-free then, and dont really know the difference. But celiacs is hard for them to understand.

Is anyone pretty schooled in this subject that might have good recommendations/ideas/suggestions/do's and dont's/etc... around a partial gluten-free household?

Thanks for any input you can offer!

Hi Cameron. Welcome...and I'm sorry you have to be here. Here are some thoughts to help you out:

1) Always, always, always, err on the side of caution. I cannot emphasize this enough.

2) Make sure your wife is 100% on board and is your biggest advocate.

3) Buy separate utensils for yourself. Everything we bought was red to make it easier to differentiate. Things you'll need include your own toaster, cutting board, silverware and pots and pans. Yep...it's expensive to have celiac.

4) Have one counter in your kitchen completely gluten free at all times. It should be off limits to anybody but you.

5) Keep your food separate from food with gluten. In the fridge and freezer, you should have your own shelf. In the cabinets, if you have a big enough kitchen, try to get one cabinet that is just your food. It makes it so much easier when things are separated.

6) Be patient. Odds are...you will get CC. It stinks but it happens.

Keep the faith!

Gluten Dude

• Upvote 1

Hi and welcome!!

It is recommended by most doctors (and those of us who have been there/done that :) )that you give up dairy for the first 6 months. Lactase, which is the enzyme that breaks down the sugar lactose, is produced in the tip of the villi.

When the villi get blunted in celiac disease, sometimes the ability to digest lactose is decreased and you can become lactose intolerant. This may cause bloating, stomach cramps, diarrhea, heartburn, etc.

After you go gluten-free for a while, the villi will heal and most people are able to tolerate dairy foods again. It may be the thing that is keeping you from feeling better.

Just go without for awhile and then try it again.

In addition to Gluten Dude's good thoughts above, here is a guide:

http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/cookingglutenfree/a/crosscontaminat.htm

Hang in there,kiddo!

Best wishes!

Get a different color of sponge for gluten-free. Maybe even put it in a bowl. Then you wife will have to explain this better to them. And will have to insist. That may be culturally hard but she has to do it. Maybe she can explain that if you keep getting gluten, you will get sick. If you are sick, you cannot work and support everyone.

Make it difficult for people to casually use your colander or toaster or whatever. Put them to the back of the gluten ones. Put them away in a cabinet so that the convenient spoons are in a vase next to the stove. stuff like that. If their Visa is up soon, that may be all you can do. If they will be there permanently, you will need to be firmer or get them their own place or kitchen.