This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Frequent Urination

o2guy

o2guy Rookie

I have noticed that since being diagnosed and going gluten free that I will have time where I will go to the bathroom and then it might be 1 or 2 minutes later that I feel like I need to go again. And its not just felling like I have to go its eyes floating and can't hardly get back there in time. It seems to happen more in the mornings than later in the day. And it doesn't happen all the time, sometimes 3 or four days a week. Could this be to a diet change or possibly something else going on?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mari Explorer

I would probably ask a Dr to do a urinalysis and culture to rule out a silent urinary tract infection and a test to rule out diabetes if I had not been tested recently. It seems seems possible also that your body is storing too much water as you are resting and when you become more active it is excreted by your kidneys. There is usually a small weight loss when the body excretes excess fluids. Our bodies go through a variety of changes when we go gluten free but if this uncomfortable situation persists then getting it checked out might save you from having future problems.

heidi g. Contributor

your body could be cleansing and if you drink the daily amount of water it might be going through you faster because its cleansing you. but it also sounds like a urinary tract infection so i would suggest getting that tested first.

domesticactivist Collaborator

Have you been tested for diabetes or a uti? That would be my first step. Also, have you made other dietary changes besides the gluten?

mommida Enthusiast

You should always get examined by a doctor if there is any chance you could be getting a Urinary Track Infection (UTI). Men usually wait too long and it turns into a kidney infection. Symptoms which will be a high fever, back pain (kidneys), frequent and burning urination.

There is where just starting a gluten free diet can cause a person to get constipated. The packed bowels puts pressure that 1 makes you feel like you have to go and 2 makes it nearly impossible to completely empty your bladder. So you can be on your way to having a UTI because of constipation from not replacing the fiber you ate in gluten food.

o2guy Rookie

thanks for the advice I will check withthe Dr. to see what is going on. And I can see where constipation comes in I have been having that problem as well. I aslo have quit eating any processed meats and also no nuts or seeds because of diverticulitus. Also dairy free due to lactose intollerence.

T.H. Community Regular

And if you come up clear for any kind of UTI or diabetes? A few of us also have a frequent urge to pee as a sign of low level gluten cc. I've not seen this listed in any literature, so I'm not sure the cause, but it has been a topic a couple times here at celiac.com, and there are others who have experienced the same thing.

I always test negative for UTI's and other infections, and diabetes, but I still feel like I have to pee all the time for days after I get low level gluten cc. Quite annoying, isn't it?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

PeachBlossoms Rookie

I began doing that and notice I did it on certain foods like tomatoes. I later learned I have an intolerance to tomatoes.

Archived