This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Can Anyone Tell Me What These Questionable Readings Mean In My Blood Tests?

Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

While going through my recent bloodwork report I found a few things that are questionable. The Dr. said everything was fine.

If you know what any of these are/mean please tell me?

MCV 81.2 referance range(81.0-99.0)mine looks near low

MCH 26.7 (27.0-33.0)mine is low

Hemoglobin 12.5 (12.0-16.0) Mine looks near low

carbon dioxide 30 (22-30) mine looks high

C-Peptide, S 5.2 (1.1-4.4) mine is high

iron-TIBC %saturation 17 (20-55) mine is low

vitamin D,25 Hydroxy 66 (20-60) mine is high

vitamin B-12 1200 (230-1000) mine is high

Thank you for any info you can give me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lemontree1 Rookie

Iron Saturation reflects how your body stores iron. I'm curious if you know your ferritin levels as well? That would tell you if you need to supplement.

saintmaybe Collaborator

Your vitamin D and B levels indicate you may be oversupplementing, OR CONVERSELY, you just started supplementing, and your body is still having a difficult time taking them up. They remain in your bloodstream until processed by liver and excreted. The carbon dioxide indicates you are a smoker, live with a smoker, or work in a place with lots of smokers. I'd encourage you to try to quit if you do smoke, given our already increased cancer risk OR avoid second hand smoke amaP.

The elevated CO2 could also be a function of your total iron deficiency anemia, which is depressing your total hemoglobin production and thus your ability to finish exchanging CO2 for O2.

saintmaybe Collaborator

Oh and high c protein is an indication of an inflammatory process going on. Which would be the celiac. Look for c protein levels to go down as you get the celiac under control.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

feritin level is 50.16 (11-415)

iron 59 (37-170)

TIBC 355 (250-450)

I'm a non-smoker and don't live with smokers and am never around it. I do have asthma though, and allergy to dogs. My son recently moved back home with his 2 dogs..we already had one. I'm getting shots for my allergies.

TTNOGluten Explorer

While going through my recent bloodwork report I found a few things that are questionable. The Dr. said everything was fine.

If you know what any of these are/mean please tell me?

MCV 81.2 referance range(81.0-99.0)mine looks near low

MCH 26.7 (27.0-33.0)mine is low

Hemoglobin 12.5 (12.0-16.0) Mine looks near low

carbon dioxide 30 (22-30) mine looks high

C-Peptide, S 5.2 (1.1-4.4) mine is high

iron-TIBC %saturation 17 (20-55) mine is low

vitamin D,25 Hydroxy 66 (20-60) mine is high

vitamin B-12 1200 (230-1000) mine is high

Thank you for any info you can give me.

I can tell you what they mean, your hemoglobin is low normal but sufficient at 12.5, your MCV is a measure of the size of your red blood cells, stands for mean corpuscular volume, yours is low normal coupled with a low iron level of 17 suggests that you have a borderline anemia, what you didn't report is your actual TIBC, this should be somewhere in the range of 200-400 or so, which is inversely related to your iron stores. TIBC stands for total iron binding capacity, if your iron levels are low in theory your TIBC should be elevated which means that you have the capacity to bind more iron. Vit. D levels are fine, B12 levels are fine, higher really means nothing in the medical world and it is hard to over supplement your B12, it is only when B12 is low say < 250 that it becomes an issue. Carbon dioxide level again means nothing that is clinically relevant. What I would want to know is your TIBC specifically, it would appear that you may either have a low grade early anemia, likely iron indeuced or a partially treated iron deficiency although your total hemoglobin is climbing but not back to full speed yet. Either way if you are taking iron supplements, it takes the average adult about 6-8 weeks to repleat their iron stores back to full speed, providing everything else is normal. Hope this helps

TTNOGluten Explorer

Oh I forgot the C-peptide is different than c-reative protein(CRP) is a non specific marker of inflammation, not to be confused with c-peptide, C-peptide is a protein that binds insulin molecules, used to differentiate between Type 1 and type diabetes, not sure why they drew this, are you sure this wasn't a C-reative protein???

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Thanks so uch!

TTNO..it looks like I was posting my numbers as you were typing your reply?

I'm not taking any iron supplement, since the Dr said all of my blood work was fine.

I've been taking a D3 suppliment and B complex for a while. I was told I have ostopenia after getting a scan. I was told to take calcium with D, so recently started that.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

It says C-Peptide,S. I asked the GI about it because it was bolded print on the report and said high. She said she didn't order that test, but there it is.

She also ordered CEA, which was .61 (o-3.0)I don't know if that's what you meant?

I wonder if she made a mistake when marking what tests to run?

TTNOGluten Explorer

It says C-Peptide,S. I asked the GI about it because it was bolded print on the report and said high. She said she didn't order that test, but there it is.

She also ordered CEA, which was .61 (o-3.0)I don't know if that's what you meant?

I wonder if she made a mistake when marking what tests to run?

Not real sure why they were checking a c-peptide on you, unless they are suspecting early diabetes? Anyhow the CEA level is a tumor marker for certain types of cancer, different CEA pertain to different types of cancer, CEA is also non specific but glad yours is low, most commonly used looking for liver, colon, and then women sometimes you may see a CA-125 looking for ovarian cancer in women. hard to say specifically what they were hunting for, fortunately the levels look OK

Skylark Collaborator

I've been taking a D3 suppliment and B complex for a while. I was told I have ostopenia after getting a scan. I was told to take calcium with D, so recently started that.

I imagine your doctor already told you this, but you need to lower the B and D supplementation. I guess you're healing and absorbing your vitamins better. B) Overdose on vitamin D is particularly bad and if I had your reading I would try to take about 2000 IU/day less.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Thanks so much for the info.

The Dr. didn't tell me to stop the B or D, in fact said I should take a calcium supplement with D. I asked her if that would be in addition to the D3 I was already taking and she said yes.

I stopped taking the B complex 2 days ago. I was burping up after taking it.

I wonder if the CEA was ordered because I had a CT scan with enlarged lymph nodes in my intestines?

I've already had colon cancer..so I'm glad my number is low!

TTNOGluten Explorer

Thanks so much for the info.

The Dr. didn't tell me to stop the B or D, in fact said I should take a calcium supplement with D. I asked her if that would be in addition to the D3 I was already taking and she said yes.

I stopped taking the B complex 2 days ago. I was burping up after taking it.

I wonder if the CEA was ordered because I had a CT scan with enlarged lymph nodes in my intestines?

I've already had colon cancer..so I'm glad my number is low!

that would explain the CEA level, he is likely doing this as a tumor marker to assess for any porgression of your colon cancer, as far as the Vit. D supplements, relaize that 80% of folks living in the midwest have clinical Vit. D deficency due to limited sun exposure, taking supplemental Vit. D will not harm you, your levels should be above 30 at least, but having a level of 66 is not harmful, in fact it is not uncommon for most folks to take 1,000Iu's-2,000Iu's daily to assure adequate levels, when replacing Vit. D, the recommended dose is 50,000 units a week for 8 weeks and then at least 1,000 Iu's daily after 8 weeks, if your levels are below 30. I wouldn't worry to much about your Vit. D levels, it is splitting hairs, yours looks adequate--

TTNOGluten Explorer

Keep in mind the 50,000 Iu's dose is for someone who is deficient in Vit. D, you are not, so don't take that much, just to clarify

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Thanks..I knew you weren't saying I should take the higher dose of D, but added that as info for anyone reading in on this. The blood tests are very confusing to me, but at least I know to ask for them now! ;)

Skylark Collaborator

that would explain the CEA level, he is likely doing this as a tumor marker to assess for any porgression of your colon cancer, as far as the Vit. D supplements, relaize that 80% of folks living in the midwest have clinical Vit. D deficency due to limited sun exposure, taking supplemental Vit. D will not harm you, your levels should be above 30 at least, but having a level of 66 is not harmful, in fact it is not uncommon for most folks to take 1,000Iu's-2,000Iu's daily to assure adequate levels, when replacing Vit. D, the recommended dose is 50,000 units a week for 8 weeks and then at least 1,000 Iu's daily after 8 weeks, if your levels are below 30. I wouldn't worry to much about your Vit. D levels, it is splitting hairs, yours looks adequate--

No, there is emerging evidence that Vitamin D levels over 60 ng/ml are not healthy. We are in the midst of a Vitamin D over-supplementation craze. In a matter of time, they'll figure out that just like every other isolated nutrient, pushing vitamin D to non-physiologic levels (over 40 ng/ml) is detrimental. In particular, have a look at the IOM report in the second link.

Open Original Shared Link

TTNOGluten Explorer

No problem best of luck

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Thanks for the links to those reports SkyLark. I appreciate your taking the time to find the links and post them.

The last link has a paragraph that explains why I have taken a supplement for several years now.

"Two characteristics of cancer cells are lack of differentiation (specialization) and rapid growth or proliferation. Many malignant tumors have been found to contain vitamin D receptors (VDR), including breast, lung, skin (melanoma), colon, and bone. Biologically active forms of vitamin D, such as 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D and its analogs, have been found to induce cell differentiation and/or inhibit proliferation of a number of cancerous and noncancerous cell types maintained in cell culture (57). Results of some, but not all, human epidemiological studies suggest that vitamin D may protect against various cancers. However, it is important to note that epidemiological studies cannot prove such associations."

I have had colon cancer, skin cancer, and breast cancer runs in my family.

The article also states that vitamin D can help fight against immune diseases and high blood pressure too.

My levels right now aren't alarming to me, and at the time my blood was tested I had been spending a huge amount of time outside in the sun, which might have raised my level?

It's certainly worth keeping a watch on though. You really CAN get too much of a good thing!

saintmaybe Collaborator

It occurs to me that if you're taking a lot of bicarb (TUMS) for stomach acid, that would artificially inflate your numbers for blood CO2.

Also, it can indicate muscle weakness around the diaphragm. Chronically elevated levels of CO2 *are* significant though, and you definitely should keep an eye on that number.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Weakness around the diaphram? Could that be why I get hiccups so often? :blink:

It was noted in my CT scan that I had a hiatal hernia. I wonder if that enters into the weakness too?

I had been eating Tums quite a bit when that blood was drawn. My Dr kept telling me there was nothing wrong me..eat Tums!

When I go to the new GI in December I'm going to ask him if he'll have these tests redone. It will be interesting to see if there are any noticeble changes?

frieze Community Regular

No, there is emerging evidence that Vitamin D levels over 60 ng/ml are not healthy. We are in the midst of a Vitamin D over-supplementation craze. In a matter of time, they'll figure out that just like every other isolated nutrient, pushing vitamin D to non-physiologic levels (over 40 ng/ml) is detrimental. In particular, have a look at the IOM report in the second link.

Sky... you first link has no problem with levels up to 100, your second link is an embarassment to science, and the 3' one is recommending 80.....

frieze Community Regular

OP....are you taking a B12 supplement? the fact that you are Vit B12 repleat explains your low end MCV....at least partly....did they measure folate? good luck

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

OP....are you taking a B12 supplement? the fact that you are Vit B12 repleat explains your low end MCV....at least partly....did they measure folate? good luck

I don't see folate listed in my tests.

I wasn't taling B12 as a separate suppliment, but it's included in the b complex I was taking at 75mcg (1250% of daily requirement)

*note the measurement listed in the article Skylark posted is not the NG/ML..it's a different measure. Cut those numbers about in half to get the equivilant to the NG/ML.

Skylark Collaborator

Sky... you first link has no problem with levels up to 100, your second link is an embarassment to science, and the 3' one is recommending 80.....

Ahem. Units?

There are some that disagree with the IOM report. I believe that just like every single other fad supplement that has turned out to be detrimental when pushed to non-physiologic levels, we will figure out the same for vitamin D.

frieze Community Regular

I don't see folate listed in my tests.

I wasn't taling B12 as a separate suppliment, but it's included in the b complex I was taking at 75mcg (1250% of daily requirement)

*note the measurement listed in the article Skylark posted is not the NG/ML..it's a different measure. Cut those numbers about in half to get the equivilant to the NG/ML.

In you OP you don't give a unit of measure, so what is it?

Archived