granolagal

Celiac Disease Biopsy - Test For Cancer?

Rate this topic

Hi there,

Does anyone know what exactly the GI will test for with the biopsy? Is it just for signs of celiac disease? Or will the biopsy also show if there is a possibility of intestinal cancer?

Thanks to anyone who can help shed some light for me.

Hi there,

Does anyone know what exactly the GI will test for with the biopsy? Is it just for signs of celiac disease? Or will the biopsy also show if there is a possibility of intestinal cancer?

Thanks to anyone who can help shed some light for me.

I'm not sure what all they test for. My GI took 6 biopsies and one was tested for h. Pylori (thankfully negative) and then celiac (thankfully positive...so at least I knew what was wrong with me).

Now if I had visible damage or other suspected problems, perhaps he'd have tested for more or taken more biopsies. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will put in their two cents worth.

Here is how the biopsy works and what they look for.

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/small+intestine+biopsy

There is a nice eZine article by Scot Lewey but I can't post the link because it's blocked here. If you go to e z i n e a r t i c l e s dot com (Sheesh. Retarded spam filter. Take out the spaces.) and search for "Scot Lewey Biopsy" it will pull up some really nice articles.

Here is how the biopsy works and what they look for.

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/small+intestine+biopsy

There is a nice eZine article by Scot Lewey but I can't post the link because it's blocked here. If you go to e z i n e a r t i c l e s dot com (Sheesh. Retarded spam filter. Take out the spaces.) and search for "Scot Lewey Biopsy" it will pull up some really nice articles.

Thank you so much! This is so incredibly helpful and informative!

Many thanks! :D