Jbadeo

Celiac Or Not?

Rate this topic

Hi all. I posted before, but wanted a few more opinions in regards to my symptoms and blood test results. I have been having on going digestive symptoms such as constant nausea, diarrhea and loose stools, and just a general feeling of being unwell. I developed these symptoms over a year ago. Sometimes my symptoms come and go, lasting 4 or 5 days, and other times I may only feel unwell 2 or 3 times a month.

Here is one blood test result below:

Component Your result Standard range Units

TISSUE TRANSGLUTAMINASE IgG 0.89 < 0.90 - Index

Tissue transglutaminase IgA 1.53 < 0.90 - Index

Since these tests, my GI dr ordered a full celiac panel as well as a genetic blood test. My celiac panel results were all in the normal range, including my Ttg IgG and IgA (my IgA was positive above only a month prior). I would post my ranges for the full celiac panel, but unfortunately misplaced the paper. My genetic test determined I carry the DQ-8 gene, and signaled I have only a moderate probability of developing Celiac. I am twice as likely to develop it.

Just curious, I know Ttg IgA is not specific for Celiacs like some of the other tests found on the full celiac panel, but why did I have a high positive result (ruling out I probably don't have crones or any other diseases going)? And then why was the result negative only a month later on the full celiac panel? It's just confusing.

Have there been any other celaics on this board diagnosed as having celiac disease and only carry the DQ-8 gene?

You didn't stop eating gluten before the negative TTG test did you?

If you had your tests run at different labs that is one possibility of the inconsistencies. A lot of the time different labs will have different reporting ranges. Also I would think the measure of things could varry to some degree. If the numbers are within a reasonable + or - range of the original, I would say it could be a testing varriation. Just a thought.

You didn't stop eating gluten before the negative TTG test did you?

I was still eating gluten, although I was going through a phase with only sporadic symptoms (once or twice a week).