This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Want To Gain My Weight Back!

Guest DanceswithWolves

Guest DanceswithWolves

:( I'm sick of looking thin.

Before all this celiac disease started, I weighed about 145. I had a stressful job, drank too much and ate all the wrong foods and then had a nervous breakdown.

I quit the job and relocated back to live with my parents til I could figure out my plan on getting healthy.

I take a GNC liquid vitamin every morning and I have been trying to eat sensibly. One thing I noticed is that I really loose weight even more when I drink beer, so I am DONE with beer for a long time.

What can I do to gain my weight back?

The Gluten-free diet really looks like it will not help me get the required protein and carbs I need to do this. I have been eating meat, fish and chicken...but I think it's really not helping. I try extra hard to stay away from breads.

What about weight-gain powdered drinks? I'm just a little nervous about taking that stuff in a home-made shake. Can I use skim milk? Will I even gain weight with that stuff?

I did try an egg protein powder and mix that into a fruit /2% milk shake. Didn't really noice much of a change in weight, though.

I don't want to look like this the rest of my life! I am only 38! :(

Erik

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I had the same problem. I have always been a petite person but while on gluten I lost 23 pounds out of nowhere. I hated it. The diet is the thing that helped me gain it all back.

Are you on the gluten free diet yet? That's a start because with me it didn't matter how much I ate I would not gain weight until I was on the diet religiously for a while. I saw it come back gradually

The gluten free diet will provide you with everything you need as far as proteins and carbs go...you just have to find the right things. For everything with gluten there is something without gluten of the same thing. Yes, you can use skim milk

Some things I did to help gain weight were:

-drink Ensure Plus(350 calories for one thing equal to a cup) Always chill them though because otherwise I found it hard to get down.

-things like nuts (these have alot of fat and calories to them-on handful is equal to about 200 calories)

-peanut butter

-coconut milk or coconut oil into a smoothie,you can make smoothies very high calorie with nuts, etc.

-baked potatoes with sour cream, butter, cheese, and other fatty toppings you care to add

Vitamins are good did you make sure they were gluten free because some are not.

Let me say this though: As long as you have even a little gluten in your diet you will most likely NOT see weight gain no matter how much you try to. Been there, done that.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

As long as you have gluten in your diet...even the tiniest amount you probably won't be able to gain. I was losing weight gradually (I also lost drinking beer) then I started freaking out about the weight loss so tried to load up on all the fattening foods. I was eating whole loaves of french bread...cakes...ice cream...pasta. Thats when things got really bad and I ended up at 94 lbs. There are plenty of gluten-free foods you can eat. I've only been *totally* gluten-free for about a week and I'm already gaining but one tiny slip-up will set me back.

Guest DanceswithWolves

The GNC vitamin mix is Gluten, yeast, corn,diary,wheat and artificial flavors/color FREE.

I bought two bottles. I recommend it if you have a hard time digesting a vitamin tablet.

It's called GNC Liquid Ultra Mega Dietary Supplement.

Even has green tea in it.

But here's another question. Do some Celiacs get lactose-intolerant too?

What I'm wondering is if I can have Ice Cream or vanilla puddings? I know cake and donuts are evil.

Also, would chocolate milk be a problem. I'm just wondering if that would cause too much GERD.

I mean, eating a chocolate bar is bad too, right?

KaitiUSA Enthusiast
The GNC vitamin mix is Gluten, yeast, corn,diary,wheat and artificial flavors/color FREE.

I bought two bottles. I recommend it if you have a hard time digesting a vitamin tablet.

It's called GNC Liquid Ultra Mega Dietary Supplement.

Even has green tea in it.

What I'm wondering is if I can have Ice Cream or vanilla puddings?  I know cake and donuts are evil.

Also, would chocolate milk be a problem. I'm just wondering if that would cause too much GERD.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Some celiacs are lactose intolerant until their intestines heal. I had a problem with lactose at first but it went away.

Some ice creams are ok...Breyers, klondike,popsicle, and good humor will all list wheat, rye, barley, oats right on the label or will be safe.

Jell-o is a Kraft brand and their puddings are likely safe-just check the back for wheat,rye,barley,oats or they will be safe

Kinnikinnick actually has some awesome tasting donuts we can have

Hershey's is a brand that won't hide anything either so their chocolate just check :D

Guest DanceswithWolves

I've also been eating this Kamut yeast-free bread for several months now. I tried rice bread but that just breaks apart into a big mess.

Is Kamut bad for me too?

What is the WORST bread out there?

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I've also been eating this Kamut yeast-free bread for several months now. I tried rice bread but that just breaks apart into a big mess.

Is Kamut bad for me too?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kamut is not gluten free. I'm pretty sure Kamut is wheat. You will have to eat bread that is gluten free. Look for the ones that say gluten free...that means NONE of the bread that you find on the regular bread aisle in the grocery store. I don't know if there is a WORST bread...any bread with gluten is just as bad as the next with gluten in it. Its all the same.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Is Kamut bad for me too?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kamut is not gluten free.

Also, certain rice breads fall apart and taste like trash but there are good ones.

Foods By George Cinnamon English Muffins are good but you do have to toast them do they do not fall apart

Cybros Rice Rolls are delicious but I toast them too.

Anything with gluten is bad. Doesn't matter if one kind has more gluten then the other...either way it will cause the damage.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I have always been very thin, but when I got really sick I lost about 10 pounds in one week, which put me underweight. The gluten-free diet fixed the problem though and I gained my weight back.

tarnalberry Community Regular
What can I do to gain my weight back?

The Gluten-free diet really looks like it will not help me get the required protein and carbs I need to do this. I have been eating meat, fish and chicken...but I think it's really not helping. I try extra hard to stay away from breads.

What about weight-gain powdered drinks? I'm just a little nervous about taking that stuff in a home-made shake. Can I use skim milk? Will I even gain weight with that stuff?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To gain weight back, you need to consume *NO* gluten, and eat more calories than you use in a day. Let me reiterate that very important first point - NO gluten.

The gluten-free diet can get you all the nutrients you need, but you won't be eating exactly the same foods. You can get plenty of carbs from starchy vegetables, legumes, and gluten-free grains (potatoes, yams, carrots, winter squash, black beans, garbanzo beans, kidney beans, lentils, rice, corn, millet, quinoa, etc.) without even needing to find a single baked item. You can get plenty of protein from the traditional sources of meat, eggs, and dairy - and outside of rice and corn, most gluten-free grains contain MORE protein than wheat. Besides those sources of calories, fat is important too, and you can get that in the meats, eggs, and dairy, as well as nuts, oils, and avocados. (So, for an idea, open up a can of black beans, drain them out, and dump into a big bowl. Take a leftover chicken breast and cut it up into small pieces and dump in to the bowl. Chop up half an onion, and a whole avocado, dump it in the bowl. Chop up a tomato or two and throw it in as well. Add a bit of salt, and eat. If you want more carbs, add a can of fresh (not creamed) corn. For a dessert, dump a can of coconut milk and a bag of frozen pineapple in a blender. Blend well and eat!)

You don't necessarily need the weight-gainer drinks, but if it helps you get more calories in, go for it.

What I'm wondering is if I can have Ice Cream or vanilla puddings?  I know cake and donuts are evil.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because lactase, the enzyme that breaks up the lactose sugar, is produced at the tips of the villi, if you have much damage, you may find yourself lactose intolerant. It may go away if you avoid ALL gluten, but it's also common for people to produce less lactase as they age anyway, so there's no guarantee of that. You can buy lactase, in pill or drop form, over the counter at any drug store, and most grocery stores as well.

Other than that, check the labels, many ice creams and puddings are gluten free. (Kozy Shack makes tasty, gluten-free puddings.) And a chocolate bar isn't bad for you if it's gluten free (many are, but always check labels), and you're not subsisting solely on them for weeks at a time. ;-)

Is Kamut bad for me too?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kamut, spelt, rye, tritical, and a few others are NOT gluten free. That may be part of what's keeping you from gaining weight. Do read over the "avoid" list on celiac.com - it'll list the other names for gluten-containing grains that you need to avoid. Always remember that wheat free does NOT mean gluten-free.

I don't like rice bread either - I hate the stuff from Ener-G for eating, myself, but I dont' have a toaster to heat it in. Food for Life makes a couple of gluten free breads that are alright, particularly for peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches, but they do crumble a bit. Eat w/ a plate! ;-)

Jen H Contributor

Hi all,

Kaiti and Danceswithwolves, you were talking about lactose intolerance when first diagnosed with celiac disease...I was just diagnosed a week and half ago. How long does it take to overcome the initial lactose intolerance associated with celiac disease?

Jen

KaitiUSA Enthusiast
Hi all,

Kaiti and Danceswithwolves, you were talking about lactose intolerance when first diagnosed with celiac disease...I was just diagnosed a week and half ago.  How long does it take to overcome the initial lactose intolerance associated with celiac disease?

Jen

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Took me a few months to have no problems with lactose and milk. I had previously been lactose intolerant on and off my whole life prior to that. Now, I can have milk with no problems.

Not everyone with celiac will have a problem with lactose at first but alot do. It should go away and get better as your intestines heal.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

The lactose intolerance should go away once the villi heal in the intestine. The enzyme that is required to digest lactose is located in the tips of the villi. When the villi are damaged due to gluten, the person will be lactose intolerant until the villi heal.

Jen H Contributor

Interesting...Thanks for sharing what you know about dairy and villous atrophy. I've heard that dairy can be difficult for some people to digest when they are first diagnosed with celiac disease and I think I might be one of them.

Jen

Guest DanceswithWolves
Interesting...Thanks for sharing what you know about dairy and villous atrophy.  I've heard that dairy can be difficult for some people to digest when they are first diagnosed with celiac disease and I think I might be one of them. 

Jen

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Months ago when I first went to GNC, I explained my situation and bought my liquid Multi-vitamin stuff, some enzymes and I also picked up a bottle of Multi-oil recommended by the sales manager. This supplement contains vital fatty acids that he believed I was missing. But now, with me going Gluten-Free I checked the ingredients and there is wheat germ oil and a few other oils listed. I see "Wheat" and I go RED ALERT now...should I be woried about this oil in particular?

I guess I cn just store them in the fridge til I get better. I'm suppossed to take one with every meal.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Months ago when I first went to GNC, I explained my situation and bought my liquid Multi-vitamin stuff, some enzymes and I also picked up a bottle of Multi-oil recommended by the sales manager. This supplement contains vital fatty acids that he believed I was missing. But now, with me going Gluten-Free I checked the ingredients and there is wheat germ oil and a few other oils listed. I see "Wheat" and I go RED ALERT now...should I be woried about this oil in particular?

I guess I cn just store them in the fridge til I get better. I'm suppossed to take one with every meal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You need to avoid gluten in the supplements as well. You won't want to be taking them once you get better...they'll only cause you to get sick again. Unfortunately this isn't only a temporary diet.

emeraldskies Rookie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can look up the name of the vitamin on their site, and they will list the allergens that the particular product does not contain. If it doesn't say "no gluten" under the ingredients, it's not safe. They have a lot of gluten-free vitamins. Most will have the allergen-free list on the back of the bottle. I can look them up for you if you aren't able to find them, just let me know the names. It appears that the Mega Men supplement contains gluten, if that's what you have. Here is their site: Open Original Shared Link

Jnkmnky Collaborator

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What do you mean by "til I get better"? You DO realize if you have Celiac Disease, it's a life-long condition. You can never eat gluten again.

Obviously, you can't take that multi-whatever since it has WHEAT in it. Are you planning to "store them in the fridge" until they come up with a cure for celiac disease? :huh:

If you have celiac disease, you might as well throw that multi-thing with "WHEAT" in it...out.

tarnalberry Community Regular
...But now, with me going Gluten-Free I checked the ingredients and there is wheat germ oil and a few other oils listed. I see "Wheat" and I go RED ALERT now...should I be woried about this oil in particular?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If it says wheat on the label, do NOT use it! Ever. You can't start taking it again when you "get better", because it will damage your intestines and make you sick again.

There are other vitamins that are gluten free.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Obviously, you can't take that multi-whatever since it has WHEAT in it.  Are  you planning to "store them in the fridge" until they come up with a cure for celiac disease? :huh:

If you have celiac disease, you might as well throw that multi-thing with "WHEAT" in it...out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol: Sorry to laugh but that is just about the funniest thing I've read ALL day. Not laughing AT anyone just thought Jnkmnky's comment was hysterical. :D

• 4 months later...
BetseyCo Newbie
:lol: Sorry to laugh but that is just about the funniest thing I've read ALL day. Not laughing AT anyone just thought Jnkmnky's comment was hysterical. :D

me too. shes a mom so it makes sense to me-- she's using the mom reasoning and the mommy tone there :D

Archived