saintmaybe

Is It Worth Seeing A Gi?

Rate this topic

So I'm self diagnosed celiac. Short history here- lost forty lbs between the spring and fall, had terrible gastric issues, uncontrolled migraines, the whole nine yards. Went gluten free, and these problems immediately abated or decreased in severity to a manageable level.

My rheumatologist suggested I see a GI anyway, to try for an official diagnosis. Is it worth going if I have no intention of going back on gluten for a challenge and have been gluten free for 3 months and change?

It's worth it to the medical group that eventually gets the insurance reimbursement......

You would be told to go back on gluten (and likely for too short a period of time to re damage yourself sufficiently for it to show up on a biopsy) and then the G.I.'s office will call (eventually) and proudly announce that You Do Not Have Celiac. You can have any medical physician now order a complete Celiac blood panel, and see if you have any positive results to any part of it. If not, that would pretty much short circuit the process.

If you have other issues you want/need to get checked out, and the means to do so, that's different. But making yourself sick for nothing isn't logical.

You could also get genetic testing over the counter or thru doctor's offices that would see if you fall into one of the groups that have the classic celiac genes or the ones associated with gluten intolerance. That doesn't guarantee anything, but it makes it statistically more likely you have it.

It's worth it to the medical group that eventually gets the insurance reimbursement......

You would be told to go back on gluten (and likely for too short a period of time to re damage yourself sufficiently for it to show up on a biopsy) and then the G.I.'s office will call (eventually) and proudly announce that You Do Not Have Celiac. You can have any medical physician now order a complete Celiac blood panel, and see if you have any positive results to any part of it. If not, that would pretty much short circuit the process.

If you have other issues you want/need to get checked out, and the means to do so, that's different. But making yourself sick for nothing isn't logical.

You could also get genetic testing over the counter or thru doctor's offices that would see if you fall into one of the groups that have the classic celiac genes or the ones associated with gluten intolerance. That doesn't guarantee anything, but it makes it statistically more likely you have it.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I just wanted to confirm my suspicions with someone else.