Apache

Does Anybody Eat Millet?

Rate this topic

I'm wondering how other people with leaky gut handle millet. I don't digest grains very well in general, but millet is actually a seed, so I was thinking about trying it.

The weird thing is that I'm gluten intolerant, but I can actually handle bread easier than other grains. Rice and quinoa destroy my stomach. I think my main gluten symptoms are depression, fatique, brain fog, and occasional joint pain, with minor digestive problems.

What do you mean by "I can actually handle bread easier than other grains"? Do you mean when a grain is made into bread, or do you mean wheat bread as opposed to gluten-free bread?

As for millet, it is classified as a grain. If you want to try "pseudo-grains" (things which function like grains in food, but aren't classified as "true" grains in the botanical sense), there's amaranth, buckwheat, Job's tears, kaniwa, and quinoa. Wild rice is apparently not related to ordinary rice, so you might want to try that too.

However, one must be careful with many gluten-free grains, as they are often contaminated with wheat dust, and rinsing it just doesn't make it safe.

That said, millet is supposed to be a very easily digested grain. I find buckwheat very easy to digest, but nearly impossible to find it not contaminated. As of now, I haven't a safe source for the whole groats, only the flour.

I love millet!

What do you mean by "I can actually handle bread easier than other grains"? Do you mean when a grain is made into bread, or do you mean wheat bread as opposed to gluten-free bread?

As for millet, it is classified as a grain. If you want to try "pseudo-grains" (things which function like grains in food, but aren't classified as "true" grains in the botanical sense), there's amaranth, buckwheat, Job's tears, kaniwa, and quinoa. Wild rice is apparently not related to ordinary rice, so you might want to try that too.

However, one must be careful with many gluten-free grains, as they are often contaminated with wheat dust, and rinsing it just doesn't make it safe.

That said, millet is supposed to be a very easily digested grain. I find buckwheat very easy to digest, but nearly impossible to find it not contaminated. As of now, I haven't a safe source for the whole groats, only the flour.

I meant white bread made from wheat.

I was looking for wild rice the other day but couldn't find any that wasn't mixed with another type of rice. I'll have to try that again along with buckwheat.

I have found sorghum to be my staple baking grain along with the starches; also buckwheat. I do not tolerate quinoa, amaranth or millet.

I have found sorghum to be my staple baking grain along with the starches; also buckwheat. I do not tolerate quinoa, amaranth or millet.

I think I will definitely try buckwheat then. There aren't enough foods I can tolerate in order to make recipes, but I'll try to find some buckwheat that I can eat as a breakfast cereal.

I think I will definitely try buckwheat then. There aren't enough foods I can tolerate in order to make recipes, but I'll try to find some buckwheat that I can eat as a breakfast cereal.

I think Wolff's is one of the more trusted brands of buckwheat groats, for being gluten-free. The few times I've had it, I didn't notice any particularly outstanding issues. However, there were still some things I hadn't ironed out at the time, so I can't be completely sure. Wolff's are the cleanest buckwheat groats I've ever seen.

But do keep in mind, that even if you don't actually feel any troubles from consuming gluten, it doesn't mean there isn't anything going on inside the body. I've read that an estimated 30% of Celiac sufferers have no overt symptoms, even though there is damage being done inside.