ScarlettsMommy

Living With A Non Celiac Family

Rate this topic

Hello. I just recently posted on here yesterday that I had just got diagnosed (as of yesterday) with celiac and crohns and it is the celiac that has made me feel like I have had the stomach flu for the past 2 years...doctor after doctor telling me it was all in my head..finally I traveled to Johns Hopkins and the doctor there did soo many tests and within just 4 months I am diagnosed. I have a daughter who will be 2 jan 1st, and all this started after I had her (via csection) and I read alot that pregnancy and childbirth can bring on Celiac so that was interesting. Anyway... the hardest part of this is b/c of hard economic times, my husband, daughter, and myself are living with my parents and brother who are all non celiac (my brother has crohns, but can eat whatever). My mom cooks most of the meals and we order out alot. I feel like until I am on my own again with my husband, it will be extra hard adjusting b/c everyone around me can have the foods I once loved. However, my husband told me when we do get our own place, he will have no problem supporting me and allowing only gluten free foods in our house. I am very grateful to have him be that supportive. Any advice or tips until then??

(my brother has crohns, but can eat whatever).

Any advice or tips until then??

IMHO, Your brother should be tested for Celiac along with other family members....

Your best advice can be found here, just read around this Great site and ask questions....

I think the gluten-free diet would help your brother & maybe keep the Crohn's in check........does your parents understand celiac disease? If so, I bet your Mom would try cooking gluten-free or why don't you offer to cook gluten-free for everyone... Anything that is made with wheat can be done gluten-free..if does take learning & label reading.......

Great that you have a supported husband, wean him into gluten-free now so he will be ready for when you have your own place...

Years ago when I first went gluten-free , I started myfamily off with Glutino pretzels, they thoguht they were better than the wheat ones... Then I went onto choc.chip cookies, & quick breads... Then onto whole meals prepared gluten-free.. Fired chicken, spaghetti, ... Of course any naked meats, veggies, fish& fish are naturally gluten-free... Put your own seasonings on them .. McCormick's clearly labels...

hth

• Upvote 1

Hello. I just recently posted on here yesterday that I had just got diagnosed (as of yesterday) with celiac and crohns and it is the celiac that has made me feel like I have had the stomach flu for the past 2 years...doctor after doctor telling me it was all in my head..finally I traveled to Johns Hopkins and the doctor there did soo many tests and within just 4 months I am diagnosed. I have a daughter who will be 2 jan 1st, and all this started after I had her (via csection) and I read alot that pregnancy and childbirth can bring on Celiac so that was interesting. Anyway... the hardest part of this is b/c of hard economic times, my husband, daughter, and myself are living with my parents and brother who are all non celiac (my brother has crohns, but can eat whatever). My mom cooks most of the meals and we order out alot. I feel like until I am on my own again with my husband, it will be extra hard adjusting b/c everyone around me can have the foods I once loved. However, my husband told me when we do get our own place, he will have no problem supporting me and allowing only gluten free foods in our house. I am very grateful to have him be that supportive. Any advice or tips until then??

It will be really hard for you until you get your own place. You're going to have to turn your radar on, and I think your best answer is to start cooking, since you mentioned that you order take out quite often. I'd buy or ask for a slow cooker (big one with removable insert) or a 5 qt. pressure cooker (my favorite, and what I'd want first) for Christmas. The slow cooker costs less, but you have to plan and prepare before you use it. The pressure cooker is quick, you can cook dried beans from a bag (that's cheap and safe) or inexpensive cuts of meat in minutes.

I'd buy my own cutting board, nonstick pan and chef's knife, and probably keep it in my bedroom so that it didn't get CC

You can google anything you have to cook gluten-free with the preface of slow cooker or PC and come up with a slew of delicious, safe foods.

The wonderful thing about using either a slow cooker or a pressure cooker is that you can use small amounts of inexpensive meat cuts to make a great meal. I'm so glad you found out what was killing you, finding what will make you well is a slam dunk in comparison.

Scarlett's mommy, I read your post here and the first one and we all can relate in various ways to your anger.

For practical strategies, I suggest that you get a slow-cooker and look at the recipies on this site: The writer has a celiac daughter so all the recepies are gluten-free and they are really recepies that are good for people who don't cook or who are new to cooking. In fact, she likes to say her recepies don't make you "cook before you cook" and that the crock-pot does all the work.

You could make a few meals a week and use it as a base for your meals w/leftovers. A crock-pot doesn't take up too much room in your mom's kitchen and the meals are easy and good for busy people (like moms of 2-year olds or people who work) because it's ready when at dinner time.

Here's the website: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

Good luck and hang in there! You'll make it.

P.S. I just read above that Marilyn suggested a slow-cooker too. They really do help save money.