Rate this topic

Hi I've been diagnosed as a celiac for about 5 years. Before that, and since, I have suffered from extensive psoriasis - mainly on torso and upper arms. Also itchy/rash in anal area. Is this common in relationship to gluten intolerance?

Yes, psoriasis is one of the autoimmune diseases commonly associated with celiac/gluten intolerance. In some of us it becomes psoriatic arthritis, a combination of psoriasis and rheumatoid arthritis. My experience has been that my disease does not respond to the removal of gluten, unfortunately.

By the way, welcome to the board, fellow Kiwi celiac :)

I have nail psoriasis - which means it only shows up in my nails, I do have some type of autoimmune arthritis as well - but they aren't sure which one, psoriatic has been mentioned. But yes - there is a common connection between the two. Doh!

My psoriasis stays in check when I eat nothing but whole foods. Gluten makes it flare up, and corn makes it REALLY flare up. I suspect there are other things too. It flared up badly when I took aspirin so I thought I had trouble with salicylates, but it seems that my tolerance to salicylates is high enough that I can eat broccoli. (Aspirin has about 100 times more sals than broccoli.) I also seem to have trouble with foods that are high in nickel. I get contact dermatitis from nickel in jewelry, and I think the nickel in food bothers me too. I still haven't figured it all out yet, but I'm getting there.

Yes, psoriasis is one of the autoimmune diseases commonly associated with celiac/gluten intolerance. In some of us it becomes psoriatic arthritis, a combination of psoriasis and rheumatoid arthritis. My experience has been that my disease does not respond to the removal of gluten, unfortunately.

By the way, welcome to the board, fellow Kiwi celiac :)

Since I have removed gluten and dairy from my diet my psoriasis has cleared up 98%, completely going away when I take vitamin c to saturation. So I think it is possible to get rid of it , green juices help too.

Yes, I know it is possible for some to get rid of it; mine has been helped a lot. I will give green juices a try :)