Machelle

Oats

Rate this topic

Has anyone had a reaction to Oat's ? I am suspicious there may be some gluten in them as I have been noticing a reaction similar to gluten products when eaten.

Are you eating regular oats or pure certified gluten free oats?

If you are eating regular oats then yes they are cross contaminated with wheat during harvesting all the way to production.

If you are eating the pure certified gluten free oats then you could be reacting to the protein in the oat itself (avenin). There are about 10-15% of celiacs that can't even tolerate the pure oats because of this reason. Google avenin sensitive enteropathy to learn more.

I am unfortunately in the minority of celiacs that can't tolerate the pure oats. I have horrible reactions. I ate them for the first time 7 months after I went gluten free and it wasn't pretty. I avoided them after that. Unfortunately I never gave cross contamination from them a thought in the gluten free flours/products I was using. I ended up miserable in 2010 for about 8 months. That's when it dawned on me I was reacting to the gluten free oat cross contamination in my gluten free products. I have to source my gluten free products carefully now to avoid this.

Are you eating regular oats or pure certified gluten free oats?

If you are eating regular oats then yes they are cross contaminated with wheat during harvesting all the way to production.

If you are eating the pure certified gluten free oats then you could be reacting to the protein in the oat itself (avenin). There are about 10-15% of celiacs that can't even tolerate the pure oats because of this reason. Google avenin sensitive enteropathy to learn more.

I am unfortunately in the minority of celiacs that can't tolerate the pure oats. I have horrible reactions. I ate them for the first time 7 months after I went gluten free and it wasn't pretty. I avoided them after that. Unfortunately I never gave cross contamination from them a thought in the gluten free flours/products I was using. I ended up miserable in 2010 for about 8 months. That's when it dawned on me I was reacting to the gluten free oat cross contamination in my gluten free products. I have to source my gluten free products carefully now to avoid this.

I was eating regular oats, and having trouble,I have tried Irish oats, but it has been awhile and will have to try again.

Irish oats have been tested and have too much wheat. If you can find them, Bob's Red Mill makes certified gluten-free oats.

Irish oats have been tested and have too much wheat. If you can find them, Bob's Red Mill makes certified gluten-free oats.

Thankyou very Much !!!

Yes if you do try oats again you need for them to be pure "certified" gluten free. It will state on the lable. If it doesn't state gluten free on the lable don't eat them. Bobs Red Mill does sell certified gluten free oats. This was the brand I tried. They tasted really good, but the after effects were not. :P Bob's Red Mill is really good company and has a separate gluten free facility and they test their products. I however had to give up all of their products. I was reacting to small amounts of oat cross contamination not gluten cross contamination.

Yes, definately gluten-free oats but if you ar new to the diet don't be suprised if they too may pass right thru your system. If this happens, all it means is the body needs a little more mending time. At first I could not eat oats at all, not even gluten-free. 8 months later I can take in small amounts. I read here before that a person needs to allow 2 years for the gut to heal and be able to eat certian foods again.

Yes if you do try oats again you need for them to be pure "certified" gluten free. It will state on the lable. If it doesn't state gluten free on the lable don't eat them. Bobs Red Mill does sell certified gluten free oats. This was the brand I tried. They tasted really good, but the after effects were not. :P Bob's Red Mill is really good company and has a separate gluten free facility and they test their products. I however had to give up all of their products. I was reacting to small amounts of oat cross contamination not gluten cross contamination.

Thanks !

Yes, definately gluten-free oats but if you ar new to the diet don't be suprised if they too may pass right thru your system. If this happens, all it means is the body needs a little more mending time. At first I could not eat oats at all, not even gluten-free. 8 months later I can take in small amounts. I read here before that a person needs to allow 2 years for the gut to heal and be able to eat certian foods again.

Thanks, I was diagnoised 8 yrs ago and have been doing good, but had never talked to anyone else with the same troubles, so I just try diff. foods and am glad to be able to discuss with others and see how to make positive changes. Holidays wreck haveck if I let them !