This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Allergy Diet

collgwg

IrishHeart Veteran

what is a good digestive enzimes ? to take im going shopping today and would like to pick up something i know my vitimans have some digestive enzimes in it but should i be taking something extra ?

i had a granny smith apple last night and oh burn no system not liking it to much acid have to go for somthing lighter

Apples are not acidic, hon. If it bothered you, it's not because of acidity. Citrus fruits are acidic. Tomatoes are acidic. Do those bother your stomach?

I used Enzymedica Digest Gold. They are expensive, I have to say, and I bought them through iherb.com They were recommended by folks on here and they work well for me.

There are probably some good ones you can get at the health Food Store. Just be sure to read the labels and make sure there's no gluten, dairy or soy in there!

I think NOW brand makes a good one.

Search the forum for a topic on Digestive Enzymes and see what people suggest.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
collgwg Contributor

Apples are not acidic, hon. If it bothered you, it's not because of acidity. Citrus fruits are acidic. Tomatoes are acidic. Do those bother your stomach?

I used Enzymedica Digest Gold. They are expensive, I have to say, and I bought them through iherb.com They were recommended by folks on here and they work well for me.

There are probably some good ones you can get at the health Food Store. Just be sure to read the labels and make sure there's no gluten, dairy or soy in there!

I think NOW brand makes a good one.

Search the forum for a topic on Digestive Enzymes and see what people suggest.

yes citrus and tomatoes potatoes all nigthshades even herbs

i looked for a digestive and they all had lactose in them gurrr i hope to make it to a healthfood store next time but for now ill just to keep doing what im doing it seems to be working i guess i want to rush it and i can not rush my guts they will take their own sweet time healing

i found enjoylife foods oh thank god they invented this i had cereal with so delish coconut milk

and i found granola now i just have to figure out how to make squares out of it

and cookies but that is just have to be eaten carefully i have noticed that every time i have flour's or starches of any kind i feel like i swallowed dust

IrishHeart Veteran

i looked for a digestive and they all had lactose in them

Are you sure it did not say the ingredient lactAse--which is an enzyme you need because you are lactOse intolerant?

They are frequently confused.

collgwg Contributor

humm oh my i do not remember now when i go out again i'll check

i broke out in hives all over last night

woke up with swelling all over joint pain and stiffness

and guts are quite tendar

i was so very careful to what i ate yesterday

i do not know what it could have been other than i found out there was soy in the chai tea

i was out looking for a nice gentle tea to drink and i noticed they all have soy in the ing

why in the heck do manufactors feel like they have to put soy in everything they produce good greif

i wonder if it could have been too much sugar sub , i bought stevia and added it to the chai tea drank half a cup dumped it yuck did not like the taste tryed it again used less stevia its not too bad it will take some time to get usto i guess i really like the agave nectar better it has a cleaner taste

then i made coconut pudding made with tapicoa flour/starch coconut milk and coconut nectar powder its pritty good

well im off to clean the cubbords and fridge and well the entire kitchen needs a good ol flylady cleaning :) and i think ill put a pork roast in the oven as well :)

IrishHeart Veteran

Well, that little bit of soy could do all that to you then.

Yes, I found that soy--like gluten--is IN almost everything, even teas.

We do have to be really, REALLY careful with label reading.

Stevia should not bother you (but when it comes to you, Coll, I do not know if I should say that! :unsure: ) You have a lot going on.

Sorry you got hit---again--can you take an antihistamine to stop the hives?

oh, you're SURE coconut did not show up on the allergy tests???

Hope you feel better soon.

collgwg Contributor

no nothing was said about coconut

im super tired feeling but i am still doing housework somone has to do it and i am not the type to just lay around mabe ill take a nap later on

i have to go to a friendship meeting we are going to be talking about our lodge trip that stresses me out cause we get together and eat lots of good food im so intolorant and i do not know for one day to the next what my guts can and can not eat i might just take some pre made chicken pieces and not quite sure just yet ill see what i can come with who know's i may just be able to prepare somethign really good by then i hope :) tonight they will be eating chocolate pie oh god yum but i know one fingure taste will do me in

so ill be taking my enjoy life cookies i bought and drinking either water and bringing my own tea

IrishHeart Veteran

This is something we can all relate to--bringing our own food places. But it is good you are going out and seeing people and not isolating yourself. Try to relax and have fun! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

collgwg Contributor

it was so great to get out with the girls they were surprised at how much weight i lost and me too i caught a view of my self in her mirrors and wow i do look good on the outside

now if i can just heal the inside ill be good

i was not able to stomach much today i picked at a pork roast i made with tumeric ginger leeks onions garlic celery and a couple of carrots for flavour

i picked at some coconut pudding i tryed to make

added some blueberries to it

had some enjoy life granola it was a little too dry i think if i were to make bars out of it and bake it that it would be easier to eat mabe

i dont think my guts can handle any flours or grains i try but just end up feeling like i swollowed dust

this is so frustrateing trying to figure out what foods my body will tolorate

collgwg Contributor

well today was going good until i decided to eat

had a cup of tetley tea with coconut milk - nice not too burn

then i decided i was hungry so i went looking and decided to try bob red mill hot cereal mighty tasty sure it deffentally is mighty tastey exp if you put a dlop of earth ballance drizzle of agave and sprinkle of cinamnon delish but what happened when it went down was not pritty intence pain started shot up to 9 for 1/2 hr then slowed down still there but bareable for oh about 10 min then it started hurting again and i think by the time it reaches a certian point D will happen i can feel it rumbleing

so ok no grains the body says so ill tuck that away in the back of the cubbord for a while its a shame really it was yummy and in a normal gut filling :)

so now what do i eat i feel like i just ate sandpaper or a big ball of sandpaper dumb ass i am i should have known better my guts are just too raw for this type of food but i was looking for a filler good greif

well the search for food continues ttfn of to raid the kitchen for something

IrishHeart Veteran

Unfortunately, this is a lot of detective work.

I have some issues myself lately and I keep figuring things out. Who knew that bean flours would make me feel yucky? Not me...sigh. :rolleyes:

Yes, you may be right---just take out the grains for now (because that cereal is a mix of many)--- and stick to plain foods.

collgwg Contributor

i now have a new gp i am hoping that he will take a look at my case and send me for proper testing that needs to be done

im going out tomorrow to get more probiotics and digestive enzime i hope i make the right choice

IrishHeart Veteran

Take a list of your symptoms and the report from the allergy doctor with you.

Tell him what you have been doing and how you feel better some days than others.

Ask him for an antihistamine and tell him about your gut burning.

Don't leave until you get some answers and a referral to a GI doctor. I am just suggesting here--but you need help, Coll!! You can't keep going this way.

Best wishes and let us know how you make out.

collgwg Contributor

yup ill be telling him everything from the back surg to painpill management to my guts blowing out on feb 28th and up until now everything its a half hr apt

thank god now mabe i can get the proper testing

ill defentally be letting you know what happens :)

thanks so much for all your support

Luddie Newbie

ok here is what it says on the other page

foods to be avoided

dairy sugar soy legumes coloring additivies potatoes rice wheat rye or corn all condiments processed foods mushrooms vegtables other than green

no nouts bananas grapes carrots tomatoes turnips and any other root veg peas no alcohol no proscessed foods of any kind

sugars that are allowed splenda stevia agave nectar

ok with that all said

oh good greif what how and omg oh wow

Wow is right. that is quite a list. I'm similar but have found that I tolerate hominy grits. I know, corn gluten is not usually suspect but I don't want any kind of gluten (can't eat rice apparently). I think when they make the grits the gluten is destroyed by the process.

anyhow, maybe that's one thing you could try. I do use butter and salt on them. MMMM good !

Luddie

mushroom Proficient

Colleen, can you stop and draw a big breath???? And then think of what you CAN eat. Be it one, two or three things, eat those. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, doesn't matter. And a couple of snacks in between because some tummies like food on them at all times - the shock of newly introduced "meals" is too much. Drink herbal teas and water. I would avoid artificial sweeteners and use agave or honey if you can tolerate them. Soups made with broth and any veg. you tolerate (and any seasoning you are okday with). Keep it super simple. Then starting with the foods you know you react to the least, introduce something elsel (but make it a whole food, not something processed). And do that for a week. Try to get your system calmed down because right now it sounds all riled up. If nothing has been found through testing (and again, I am unclear what specific testing you have had done for parasites, infections, etc.) then keeping your food whole, simple, clean and limited sounds to me like the best way to go. :) And make it cooked, not raw because riled up tummies do NOT like raw.

collgwg Contributor

thanks mushroom

i was able to create a very healthy allergy safe coconut cream chicken soup with chicken breasts chicken broth leeks garlic curry just a touch tumeric ginger green beans carrot broccoli it is delish

i am getting confused when to take all this stuff

allergy med

digestive enzmies

probiotic

l glutemeine

i took the digestive after i ate the soup and i made some squares from enjoy life gronola cocnut oil coconut cream milk agave coconut sugar cranberries cinammon it turned out pritty good

i can not wait to see the new dr hopefully he can send me for the proper testing

IrishHeart Veteran

i am getting confused when to take all this stuff

allergy med

digestive enzmies

probiotic

l glutemeine

i took the digestive after i ate the soup

Coll--

take the digestive enzymes BEFORE you eat something.They provide the enzymes your gut may be lacking and help you digest the food.

Probiotics in the AM before eating with a big glass of water. L-glutamine--is a capsule or powder? take it anytime--unless the bottle says otherwise.

I do not take allergy meds, so someone else may have to help you with that one.

As we discussed, keep it pure and simple. nothing raw.

Let us know what the doc says. I am VERY glad you are going to a new one!!!

collgwg Contributor

i am excited to see a new dr

thanks so much this clears things up nicely

my head is not functioning very clearly

i do not know what has gotten into me but i ake all over joints ake muscle ake even my skin hurts i dont know if its malnutrition or malsorbition or is it the flu or what but all i know is i feel like total crap eyes are red and burn

i took an allergy pill today as well in hopes it could be allergies

mushroom what type of herbal teas would you suggest i see you have pritty much the same limitations as i do what is your fav herb tea to drink

mushroom Proficient

mushroom what type of herbal teas would you suggest i see you have pritty much the same limitations as i do what is your fav herb tea to drink

I am afraid I can't help you much with herbal teas in the U.S. :( Every year when I come over I have a hard time finding good ones I like, especially now I can no longer drink Celestial Seasonings Lemon Zinger, which used to be my favourite. They have some others you may like, - Raspberry Zinger, Bengal Spice, can't think of them all now. That would be my suggestion of where to start. Do check for gluten as I found one of them contained gluten. I often bring my herbal teas with me in the summer :rolleyes:

collgwg Contributor

im in nova scotia canada

i have been looking at some of the tea's but alot of them have soy

i guess ill just have to keep trying them all until i find one i like i do like the pau d arco tea mind you i can not drink too much of it due to it's strongness

and robooios tea thats nice

chai is a bit too spicey im goign to look for a nice one on friday :)

• 2 weeks later...
collgwg Contributor

ok folks first off im feeling pritty good lately thanks to the L-G probiotics and digestive enzimes

the new doc says that the pro that i bought was the best on the market and made a good choice as well with the enzimes he just says keep doing what you are doing stay away from allergins keep going to the allergy dr and he will be currious to get a report back from the allergiest and to look at my file in the mean time do investagation your self choose healthy foods and i have to see him in 3 months

then we will disscuss further testing for intolerences and celiac and everything so thats good

i am able to tolorate sweet potato

i have also been drinking pau d arco tea with yerb mate they are both really good soothing too

so that is an update on me

IrishHeart Veteran

Glad you are feeling better!! YAAY!! :)

Keep doing what you are doing. I am so happy the Digestive Enzymes and Probiotics are helping! You really had a rough road.

As for future testing for celiac, it will not give you a valid result if you are not eating wheat or gluten products, hon.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

I'm SO glad you are doing better. You were having such a hard time for a while there and we were worried about you.

It's amazing what those supplements can do?

Keep going...each day a bit more healing should happen? :D

• 2 weeks later...
collgwg Contributor

it has been a while since i been here

i have been involved in searching for grain free meals

i have been making almond coconut meal muffins found out that i can not even tolorate rice or grains or anything from the cereal family

since i gave up the cereal and grain family i have felt alot better no more desert feeling throat or feeling like i swollowed sand or powder

so in that aspect is great brain fog has calmed down as did virtigo

but boy do i ever know it if i have been glutenated wow or any of the other top 10 allergins

i made a wonderful turkey dinner by only useing qunioa flour buckwheat flour and arrowroot flour for the gravy and using honey for sweetning the squash, carrots and stirfryed in coconut oil aspargus garlic green beans and almond meal over top the almond meal kindof tastes like parmasaun cheese thats pritty cool

i made a coconut cream pie as well with almond meal agave and baking soda for crust and topping is 24hr cold coconut milk opened up from bottom pour out liquid whiped up the cream added coconut and sugar free vanilla pudding whipped that up and that was the topping omg talk about good now mind you when i used the pudding mix it was sugar free but also had aspratame in it and i did not really like the after taste of that so if i ever do that again im going to make sure that i have gluten-free vanilla and do a non aspratame version

mind you im still having a hard time trying to figure out what to have for breakfast cause alot of times my guts no not really want anything thats so solid

i have to try and find a nice soft soothing filling breakfast so i have alot of investagateing to do in the breakfast feild

so im off to do some searching have a great day everyone :)

IrishHeart Veteran

Hi Colleen!

OMG! I was thinking about you yesterday and wondering how you are doing. I have been having some throat burning and feeling "off" myself and have re-vamped my diet to see if it helps. I thought of you and hoped you had been making progress.

Yes, avoid aspartame. That stuff is toxic junk.

This is good news. You are finding your way around the food limitations and feeling better. :)

One thing I know about myself is...it took a long time for me to get this way, so it may take a long time to recover.

Are you still taking the digestive enzymes and probiotics? That will help with healing your leaky gut.

I have trouble with breakfast too. Hey, can you make an almond or coconut flour type muffin? Use a butter and egg substitute if you have to.

Open Original Shared Link

Archived