Alexandra42

Friend Potentially Celiac?

Rate this topic

Hello there,

I've been gluten free for 6 months and I've noticed a complete change in my well being and everything has been great. But I have reason to believe my best friend may be celiac.

He was diagnosed with IBS, and is underweight for his age. Often after eating breaded/bread things he wakes up the next morning very dizzy and ill. He has always had chronic migraines and he's an insomniac. On top of it all he has major bone problems, he is always experiencing back pain and aches.

He sleeps practically all day but doesn't think that Gluten could be the cause of all these terrible things.

My experience with gluten has been very different,

does this sound like a victim of celiac disease?

I would think that he should definitely be tested for it - have the celiac blood panel run. Print out this list of symptoms for him:

http://glutenfreeworks.com/gluten-disorders/celiac-disease/symptom-guide/

And by the way, welcome to the board.

What a good friend you are. I wish I'd had a friend like you when I had those exact same symtoms. It is definitely consistent with Celiac. Now if he will just try it and see if it works...or get tested as Mushroom says. Anyway, good for you for figuring this out for yourself. I am always thrilled when I hear of people recognizing it. He may see himself in the list there from Mushroom. It doesn't hurt to try. And if you are right...he will get his life back as you have reclaimed yours. What a lovely gift from a friend. Hang in there...and yes...Welcome!

Welcome to the board. Yes you friend does sound like one of us. He should get tested if he can before he starts the diet as if the diet helps and then for some reason he needs an official diagnosis he will need to do a lengthy challenge before testing.

Do know that all you can do is give him the knowledge that he should be tested. He has to accept the possibility and go from there. Maybe bring him to the board and let him read or even post some questions if he will.

I hope you are successful in getting him to test but some folks are very resistant to the idea. If he is under 18 perhaps speaking to his parents about the possibility might not be a bad idea.